[MECH] 5 attacks keybinding

• As of the last week, following the update, we now have access to 5 different attacks, i.e. right-to-left horizontal slash, left-to-right horizontal slash, stab, up-left to down-right overhead, and up-right to down-left overhead. The introduction of alternate attacks has made some tactics easier, e.g. missing first attack of a combo so you can left-to-right horizontal swing into the enemy’s back, and many more. The combo attacks will naturally invert with each swing, so the alternate swings are more of a concern for a first attack. However, there is still a bug, or an oversight, where every attack in a combo following a stab will be regular i.e. right-to-left horizontal and up-left to down-right overhead. Let’s hope it’ll be fixed soon.

My question is this: do some players feel the need like me to bind all 5 attacks to different mouse buttons (admitting sufficient buttons) to maximize fighting decisions, or are people content with Left Alt to engage alternate swings? Since day one purchase, I remapped the stab and overhead to mouse buttons because for me, the scroll wheel isn’t satisfactory as an attack button(s). My Logitech G700 has an ample number of buttons to permit me to do it, but I’m wondering about players whose mice don’t have =>5 buttons.

Basically, what are you fellow players’ keybinds of your mice? The default settings, or something better? Do you now use more of the alternate swings, or at least try to use them more?

• If I had a better mouse, I absolutely would bind every attack to a mouse button. Even if I don’t use them I like the option of having them. In fact, I love the fact that there are more attacks than I am willing or able to utilize. It gives the game a deeper sense of…depth. :?

But for now, I’m stuck using alt. :(

• I´ve tried using left slash with alt, didn´t work for me so I assigned it to wheel up.
    My keybinds are a little bit messed up I have to admit. I need to get a new mouse ´cause the one I´ve been using for 5-6 years is too small for my hand and lacks buttons!!

But yeah binding the attacks to the mouse button is definately good idea. In almost all FPS games the left hand controls movement while the right hand attacks.
    Here is the list of commands that should be (and I´d like to have them) on the mouse:

1) Right slash
    2) Left slash
    3) Right overhead
    4) Left overhead
    5) Stab
    6) Parry
    7) One-button dodge

That´s a crazy amount of binds for a mouse :D don´t you think?

• I’m using alt right now because I can’t find any better alternative.

• i cant play 100% with the alt swing direction key bind on keyboard, no way…
    mousewheel is fine for me but i need buttons on top of mouse for the 2 new attacks … here we go :)
    cant use the thumbbuttons because i need the thumb to hold the mouse

http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/peripherals/inferno/

i tell you if it worked out

maybe i do like this slash left and right on the outer buttons
    stab lmb - block/feint rmb
    mousewheel up and down - over und underhead

you will loose against someone who can use these new swings if you cant perform them aswell i think :D
    you must be able to fast attack feint attack in every combination while moving freely to be able to do the right hit in the right situation :fenc:

• I have a mouse with two extra thumb buttons, (the wheel lets you press it left and right too for another two “buttons”, but I never use that).

So I have Slash on left mouse, Overhead on right, Alt Slash on bottom thumb button, Alt overhead on middle mouse, (pressing down the wheel). I have Stab (and Zoom) on Backslash ( \ ) as it is always readily available under my little finger. Parry on Space, Dodge on Shift, and Kick / Reload on F.

That way I can execute ANY attack without moving any of my fingers from their default position.
    I don’t really use my top thumb button for anything cause it’s a tad harder to reach, I think I have Battlecry or something silly bound to it. I’d probably use it for Alt Stab if they ever made it.

• I am happy to see players are finding it advantageous to bind all 5 attacks to the mouse. My philosophy in gaming is that the left hand on keyboard should handle as much as possible the movement and posture (walking, running, crouching, jumping, etc) and the right hand on the mouse should handle as much as possible the interaction and actions (attacking, activating, blocking, reloading, etc). This is why I prefer a mouse with a lot of buttons, and that are ergonomically placed.

Props to sirsmokealot for showing us the CM Inferno. From what I saw, it has 13 buttons, so I’ll keep it in mind if my G700 ever breaks. My current setup with my mouse is as such:

LMB: Primary Attack (horizontal right-to-left swing)
    RMB: Alternate Slash (horizontal left-to-right swing)
    MMD: Tertiary Attack (stabby-stab-stab-poke)
    MouseWheelRight : Secondary Attack (up-left to down-right overhead)
    MouseWheelLeft: Alternate Overhead (up-right to down-left overhead)

Basically what this setup does is my buttons reflects the directions of the blows I’m performing. The buttons on the right of the mouse will direct my weapons to the right, and vice-versa. This is as close as I can get to actual motion control. I still have a tendency to prioritize slashes and stabs over overheads because the scroll wheel isn’t intuitive, but I’m getting there. As sirsmokealot said:

you will loose against someone who can use these new swings if you cant perform them aswell i think

I think that rings true.

The thumb buttons (4) handle the blocking, bashing, crouching, reloading, and dodge. The side-index buttons have 1-3 bound, which is not only good for weapon selecting, but also some emotes activation. If Torn Banners introduce more attacks though, I’ll have to get a new mouse :? . Or get a Leap Motion.

• Just bind the alt attack to a… Move to left -> swing from left, easy. =)

• @Reubot:

Just bind the alt attack to a… Move to left -> swing from left, easy. =)

Your team mates must love you. :P

• Its possible to have multiple attacks assigned to one key and then you can go lucky dip style 8-)
    Jokes asside i think it’ll be brilliant for cleaving MAA according to which side of you they are trying to diddle.

• i have a naga. i play MAA only

i changed mousewheel down to be the alt overhead attack. can’t say it’s effective or not.

put alt slash on one of the buttons beside LMB

• I have a simple mouse with two thumb buttons and have them default mapped.

That is:

LMB - Slash
    RMB - Parry
    MWU - Stab
    MWD - Overhead
    MB4 - Alt Slash (Thumb pad)
    MB5 - Alt Overhead (Thumb joint)

Mentally I map my mouse to anything that happens above the waist (attack, block), and my keyboard everything below the waist (jump, kick, reload :P)

• I don’t have a mouse with buttons, but via editing the .ini file I have bound the alternative attacks to my mouse by default (i.e. Scroll Down = alternate overhead, LMB = alternate horizontal) and made it so holding LeftAlt causes Scroll Down and LMB to do the regular versions of their attacks.

I did this mainly because I like the alternate attacks more, and because I think that anyone doing a horizontal swing from the right automatically looks like a complete moron who doesn’t care about team damage or aiming.

• I have a standard R/L wheel mouse and I couldn’t stand left alt either, so I just switched the alternate attack to middle mouse button. I just hold that down when I want to change it up and I still press the normal button/scroll for that type of attack.

• I use CM Spawn mouse. It has two thumb buttons.

Left M = left slash
    Right M = Right slash

Top thumb button = LEft overhead
    Bottom thumb button = right overhead

Mouse wheel up = stab
    Mouse wheel down = cancel attack

I also use the Razer Nostromo keypad and have the little alt button as block for my shield.

• Swing: LMB
    Stab: Rear thumb mouse button
    Overhead: Front thumb mouse button
    Alt-slash: Mousewheel up

I intended to bind the stab and the overhead the other way around, but messed up. Then I thought, fuck it, and learned to use this setup.

I don’t have alt overheads or stabs bound to anything since I never, ever use them.

MX-518. All the mouse anyone will ever need.

• I have logitech g700: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/wireless-gaming-mouse-g700

Would highly recommend for chivalry, also would look into the:
    M95 by corsair: http://www.corsair.com/en/gaming-peripherals/gaming-mice/vengeance-m95-performance-mmo-and-rts-laser-gaming-mouse-gunmetal-black.html
    but i haven’t tried that but that may be my next venture if i ever need a new mouse for whatever reason.

It has 3 g key buttons on my left click area that i can use with my index finger… for me these are taunt buttons lol… ones that are harder to hit typically than just pressing the key combo… and not doubling up on c or x.

then i have 4 buttons for thumb… so basically 2 forward buttons and 2 back buttons.

2 Forward buttons = Alt overhead
    2 back buttons = Alt Slash
    Everything else, normal defaults

I also have a 2nd profile for MAA in which all i change is that my bottom back button is the one-button dodge.

Works like an absolute charm. Took a bit of getting used to… but now… i am in control. I like having the left hand control more in certain cases, but with the attacks, i find that making decisions and knowing where the controls on your mouse are and getting used to them is far superior feeling to using alt. Plus i use alt for my zoom-in button, so i woulldn’t want to zoom in whenever i do alt attacks lol that would be quite silly.

• I have the logitech m950 mouse which amazingly automatically had the alternate swings already bound to my spare buttons.
    The other button I bound to laugh just because I hate reaching across the keyboard. Works well for me.
    I don’t think I could handle pressing alt as well when in combat.

• @jrmftw:

I have the logitech m950 mouse which amazingly automatically had the alternate swings already bound to my spare buttons.
    The other button I bound to laugh just because I hate reaching across the keyboard. Works well for me.
    I don’t think I could handle pressing alt as well when in combat.

that is truly amazing… seeing as how i had to rebind my mouse buttons to keys on the keyboard, then assign those keyboard keys to my alts. The game doesn’t recognize extra inputs (AFAIK) like for instance mouse5 or mouse6 or mouse7 for example… so yeah that’s truly amazing. What controls does it say in your configuration?

• @clayton-bigsby:

that is truly amazing… seeing as how i had to rebind my mouse buttons to keys on the keyboard, then assign those keyboard keys to my alts. The game doesn’t recognize extra inputs (AFAIK) like for instance mouse5 or mouse6 or mouse7 for example… so yeah that’s truly amazing. What controls does it say in your configuration?

I just went on to check out what the keybind menu shows.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =143919728
    I must have gotten very lucky as I never new about alternate attacks until I accidentally hit my thumb buttons.

The laugh taunt on the other hand was more difficult as I tried to creat a custom keybind just for laugh alone, but couldn’t. So instead, I bound my remaining thumb button to 9, so I would simply press x and then hit the thumb button to laugh, however… If I just press that thumb button before I press x to bring up the chat menu, it defaults to play Battle-cry which is keybound to C.
    The oddities in this game astound me sometimes. :/