Parrying against feints

• A lot of people complain about feints and I think the best way to handle it is to change the way parry works.

The first parry should cost no stamina, like it is now, but if for example you fell for the feint and you try to parry again, you drain x amount of stamina.

Basically, instead of not allowing you to parry due to the cool-down, it should instead cost x amount of stamina to let you parry at your will, during the cool-down period.

The idea here is if you don’t fall for a feint, you don’t waste stamina, but if you fall for it because it’s just too unpredictable for you, you still get a chance as long as you parry the incoming attack, but eventually you will not be able to last forever. The favour is on the fainter, but this time he can’t two shot you while you have full stamina.

Another alternative solution is to have feints cost stamina depending on the weapon and stack the more you use it, for example, if I’m using the Greatsword and I feint, it costs 25 stamina, but if I feint again within 1 second, it will cost 45 stamina. obviously though this doesn’t solve people being killed in two shots by a very elaborate spam of feints.

I think fights are too short, because parry isn’t good enough for defending against faster attacks like feints. Nobody cares about stamina right now other than two Knights facing each other with shields. Someone with a few good feints can basically finish a fight in a matter of seconds and this is the problem; the advantages of feints are just too good and the 25 stamina wasted is nothing to worry about.

Also on an unrelated note, short weapons, which is basically all 1 hander weapons seem to pass parries much easier, post patch… what’s confusing is the weapon isn’t long enough to hit your sides, but it is, so you have to look literally to your left or right to parry them while it looks like it’s just swinging from left to right in front of you.

• Just chiming in to say feint currently costs 15 stamina, if you weren’t already aware (I got the impression you thought it was 25). If you did know, you can ignore me ;)

• I like the second parry idea, friendly bump. :)

• I personally don’t have problems parrying a slow weapon when they fient, it’s not too hard for me but reacting fast enough to a faster weapon is much a challenge for me.

• this is a bad idea. people would spam parry every time they get attacked and get out of it. turtles would dominate the battlefield. you really want a bunch of turtles winning games? what if people aren’t feinting… and they just swing… you would essentially be able to keep on blocking. would you want experienced players that are hard enough to hit as it is given the ability to parry at will with a little STAMINA cost? lol sheeeeit sign me up lmao, i CAN PARRY ALL DAY, I CAN PARRY ALL DAY…
    this would also prevent team attacks like 2 v 1’s hit trading. essentially in this example, a defensive player against 2 people trading attacks could still block both of them and escape. can you imagine how annoying MaA’s would be if you could never catch the sons of bitches due to multiple parries+dodging and then running away? this would make TO matches a nightmare against MAA’s and i’m probably not even mentioning a lot of other issues it would cause.

I’ve actually thought of this idea before so i shouldn’t really say it was a bad idea. But i just don’t think it would work out is what i should say. Not a bad idea, but it just wouldn’t work well IMO for more reasons than 2

• I want to be able to feint out of a parry (at a stamina cost) to immediately parry again.

• that’s a better idea because it would require timing…. but don’t you think the parry is too fast to time a feint? lol … unless you could feint at any point of the parry, even toward the end of the parry… that may work. i think it should cost a lot of stamina to do so though, perhaps a little bit of stamina for the feint, but a lot more stamina for the feinted parry to parry. so the feint should have like a little stamina cost, but if you feint parry to parry, that 2nd parry should cost some good stamina to do.

• @ReMixx:

I want to be able to feint out of a parry (at a stamina cost) to immediately parry again.

Definition of FEINT

: something feigned; specifically: a mock blow or attack on or toward one part in order to distract attention from the point one really intends to attack

By its definition the act of feinting a a proactive action, most folks are fine with this.

However the current game mechanics allow it to be used as a reactive action, many people are not ok with this.

Combat with Reactive Feints goes like this:

You attack.
    I parry.
    You feint.
    You attack.
    I get hit.

You attack.
    I do nothing.
    I get hit.

You attack.
    I parry.
    You feint.
    You attack.
    I get hit.

When Combat with Feints should look like this:

You Feint.
    I parry.
    You attack.
    I get hit.

You attack.
    I do nothing.
    I get hit.

You attack.
    I parry.

Until a player can Feint without having to initiate an attack first, this will remain an issue.

The only good way to do that I can think of doing that is to make “Q” the alt feint attack button. This way players can maintain the ability to feint a LMB but attack with an over head.

• @clayton-bigsby:

this is a bad idea. people would spam parry every time they get attacked and get out of it. turtles would dominate the battlefield.

So without feinting, you think this game would be dominated with turtles? See this is the flaw in your statement, it’s not true at all.

I am simply boosting the parry to a level where feints don’t completely dominate it.

The stamina can be adjusted to eventually make it balanced.

• @savas:

@clayton-bigsby:

this is a bad idea. people would spam parry every time they get attacked and get out of it. turtles would dominate the battlefield.

So without feinting, you think this game would be dominated with turtles? See this is the flaw in your statement, it’s not true at all.

I am simply boosting the parry to a level where feints don’t completely dominate it.

The stamina can be adjusted to eventually make it balanced.

go back and get some reading comprehension skills bruh… this was a reply to being able to feint out of a parry. So that you can basically parry one after another. It would cost stamina… but turtling defense players would be able to block like… everything.

nothing about not feinting creating turtles. being able to parry over and over would make turtles. And they wouldn’t necessarily dominate. Just saying people would be able to block every attack by spamming the rmb.

• @clayton-bigsby:

go back and get some reading comprehension skills bruh… this was a reply to being able to feint out of a parry. So that you can basically parry one after another. It would cost stamina… but turtling defense players would be able to block like… everything.

nothing about not feinting creating turtles. being able to parry over and over would make turtles. And they wouldn’t necessarily dominate. Just saying people would be able to block every attack by spamming the rmb.

how about you go back and take your own advice. how could you reply to something that wasn’t posted yet.

Essentially what you’re arguing against is basically a chivalry world without feints, I simply skipped some steps and argued in plain what you’re basically saying, which is; with everyone being able to cancel a parry; would be like feints being completely neutralized, ie; no feints… Can’t you come to the same conclusion? Even then it’s complete bs to assume everything would be blocked. Just pure imaginary.

Let me compare for you.

If feints didn’t exist, you can parry pretty much every attack, as long as you don’t make a mistake. (The key word is mistake). You can use distance, if your weapon is longer, you can use alternative attacks, or even dragging, the list goes on, there are many ways to pass a parry.

The same applies to being able to parry over and over… It’s not the hit you saw that generally kills you, it’s the hit you didn’t see or you were wide open trying to attack yourself that got you killed. Or it was a parry you failed to do.

Currently the game is far too aggressive, look at FFA for example, nobody parries and everyone just runs around spamming attacks and here you are arguing that everyone would be spamming rmb.

Nearly every game is like that too. Competitive is the same, you can’t win games parrying your opponents because eventually there is a feint combination you CAN’T handle. I’m not in favour of being able to feint parries, but something to weaken feinting. There is no harm in making this game beneficial to those who parry and counter attack.