Interupt mechanics

• and attack spam are taking this game to the level of arcade gameplay. I was afraid of it when I first started playing.

I am not really sure what else to say. I’ve read the threads on it. It’s silly as hell, worse than how every thrown weapon lands lethal side in every time with maximum damage. Archers and MAA dont even fear tanking a knight (the tank of the game) and even knights/vanguards opt for their backup weapon a lot of the time.

Every game makes maneuver speed too slow. Side steps and back steps should be about the same as a forward step. Not sprint of course. This is a big part of the problem.

• Can you go more in depth as to what you mean by interrupt mechanics? Are you talking about attacks interrupting other attacks? Not interrupting? Interrupting too easily? Not interrupting easily enough?

• Flinching is the only intterupt mechanic that I am currently aware of, and it now works in windup as well as recovery, but the windows relitively small.

Against a player who fully understands, and has decent mastery over the current game mechanics avoidance for any one who is not a MaA is a myth in my opinion. Its far to easy to adjust an attack while its in windup or release to compensate for any attempt to avoid it a player might make.

The current game design puts an ephasis on attacking, in an attempt to avoid stalemetes ( I assume).

• @Warhawk66:

and attack spam are taking this game to the level of arcade gameplay. I was afraid of it when I first started playing.

Lol. Stop trying to swing and just block the enemy “attack spam” to gain the iniative.

@Warhawk66:

[…] Every game makes maneuver speed too slow. Side steps and back steps should be about the same as a forward step. Not sprint of course. This is a big part of the problem.

MAA speed:
    Forward= 200
    Strafe= 180
    Back= 170
    Sprint= 330

Archer speed:
    Forward= 200
    Strafe= 160
    Back= 160
    Sprint= 330

Vanguard speed:
    Forward= 190
    Strafe= 162
    Back= 152
    Sprint= 314

Knight speed:
    Forward= 180
    Strafe= 153
    Back= 144
    Sprint= 297

So the speeds are as you want them, “Side steps and back steps should be about the same as a forward step. Not sprint of course,” yet you still have a problem. I just don’t think it lies with the game.

• @Daiyuki:

@Warhawk66:

and attack spam are taking this game to the level of arcade gameplay. I was afraid of it when I first started playing.

Lol. Stop trying to swing and just block the enemy “attack spam” to gain the iniative.

@Warhawk66:

[…] Every game makes maneuver speed too slow. Side steps and back steps should be about the same as a forward step. Not sprint of course. This is a big part of the problem.

MAA speed:
    Forward= 200
    Strafe= 180
    Back= 170
    Sprint= 330

Archer speed:
    Forward= 200
    Strafe= 160
    Back= 160
    Sprint= 330

Vanguard speed:
    Forward= 190
    Strafe= 162
    Back= 152
    Sprint= 314

Knight speed:
    Forward= 180
    Strafe= 153
    Back= 144
    Sprint= 297

So the speeds are as you want them, “Side steps and back steps should be about the same as a forward step. Not sprint of course,” yet you still have a problem. I just don’t think it lies with the game.

Sounds nice, but parrying and blocking in this patch are whacked out. Also fast weapon attacks stunlock mercilessly.

• @Magnificent:

Sounds nice, but parrying and blocking in this patch are whacked out. Also fast weapon attacks stunlock mercilessly.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I’m sorry, but HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Everybody is talkign about stunlocks… but after 4 months of playing this game I still have no clue what those might be.
    Do they mean flinching or something?

• @Nivve:

Everybody is talkign about stunlocks… but after 4 months of playing this game I still have no clue what those might be.

“Stunlocking” refers to being repeatedly stunned (in a state unable to take any action) with no chance of counterplay. It possibly originated with DotA, which had heroes that had 20% or so chance to stun upon landing an attack. Building a large amount of attack speed would lead to being able to “stunlock” someone - stunning them so often that they would never recover from being stunned.

In Chivalry, they’re a myth. Stunlocks do not happen in any way, shape, or form. You cannot be in a constant state of being flinched; not even daggers are fast enough, since flinch only lasts for .2s and daggers have a windup of .3 or so. Even during flinch, you can still parry. But if you miss your parry, then of course it will feel like you’re being stunlocked.

Pretty sure you can kick, too. You have options. People just don’t want to use them, and would rather blame the game than their own folly.

Would rather curse the darkness, and such.

• Interrupt is crazy high.

Kick insanely slow.

No realistic means to keep an opponent at weapons length.

Edit: When you parry them they arent off balance for any amount of time and easy dodge back out or range. If they aresupposed to be, its broken totally. I thought a parry created a moment of inaction.

• @NikolaiLev:

@Nivve:

Everybody is talkign about stunlocks… but after 4 months of playing this game I still have no clue what those might be.

“Stunlocking” refers to being repeatedly stunned (in a state unable to take any action) with no chance of counterplay. It possibly originated with DotA, which had heroes that had 20% or so chance to stun upon landing an attack. Building a large amount of attack speed would lead to being able to “stunlock” someone - stunning them so often that they would never recover from being stunned.

In Chivalry, they’re a myth. Stunlocks do not happen in any way, shape, or form. You cannot be in a constant state of being flinched; not even daggers are fast enough, since flinch only lasts for .2s and daggers have a windup of .3 or so. Even during flinch, you can still parry. But if you miss your parry, then of course it will feel like you’re being stunlocked.

Pretty sure you can kick, too. You have options. People just don’t want to use them, and would rather blame the game than their own folly.

Would rather curse the darkness, and such.

It’s possible to stunlock. But it’s not a problem. Mainly because to do it you would need at least two different people hitting the guy. And that would lead to greater concerns than flinching (namely being dead).

• @Dark:

It’s possible to stunlock. But it’s not a problem. Mainly because to do it you would need at least two different people hitting the guy. And that would lead to greater concerns than flinching (namely being dead).

Stunlocking is impossible because Chivalry does not have a stun. Not in the MOBA/MMORPG sense of the word. In those games, stuns mean you can take no action.

In Chivalry, being flinched means you cannot attack. You can still make defensive actions, like parrying, ducking, and even running (remember, the chase mechanic has a windup time).

• @Daiyuki:

this

• @Matti:

@Daiyuki:

this

In many cases its impossible, thus promoting face hug spam as a fantastic tactic. Requiring very exaggerated blocks on most smaller weapons (namely side slashes) plus the fact that the guy getting blocked can recover and block you faster than you can parry-attack him…well its just a vicious cycle.

Having interrupt based on something other than just the crude and extreme mechanism it now is, will promote spammy face hugging tactics more. perhaps if it were based on the damage received vs. remaining health and stamina it would balance out. This would require an archer to wound a charging knight (as example) or have a really hard time interrupting his first few attacks of melee. I wold be OK with that on both ends of the equation as the archer or the knight.

• @Daiyuki:

@Magnificent:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I’m sorry, but HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Nah, parrying is defintely screwy now, and I’ve had lots of attacks pass straight through shields (both my own and my advesaries’).

There’s not really stunlock, but when your guard fails because the game’s hitboxes suck it is hard to do anything.

Can Kick be interrupted? I never have luck kicking a spamming enemy away it seems, as the kick never seems to come out.

• Kick is so slow, any 1 hander user with a LMB can defeat that, unless you get lucky.

I think before all else (besides aforementioned hit boxes and crazy interrupt mechanic adjustments) TB should work on the weapon ranges minimum distances. Add a choke-up feature for longer ones.

I guess there is a huge list of issues killing this for me now that i started thinking about it. I am more of a realistic sim kind of gamer than a gamey gamer. This is feeling more gamey to me now that the novelty wore off.

• @Warhawk66:

I guess there is a huge list of issues killing this for me now that i started thinking about it. I am more of a realistic sim kind of gamer than a gamey gamer. This is feeling more gamey to me now that the novelty wore off.

Well, good. That’s good. The game is supposed to feel gamey, because it’s not a realistic simulation game.

And this is coming from a fellow sim gamer, by the way. I love my sims too, but realism-based suggestions belong in realism-based games, like Red Orchestra. Chivalry’s not among them.

• Its further from real than it is near it. I think the game would be a larger hit if it were a little more toward realism. Of course there is no way to have a full on real sim of this combat, so i wouldn’t even suggest that.

• If large game mechanics weren’t so buggy, the game would be great, but with lag and bugs the game can be ultra frustrating to play.

Anyway, I played around last night and the only counter to facehug spam is parrying. kick was susceptible to flinching, and thus never came out.

• @Tankcommander:

If large game mechanics weren’t so buggy, the game would be great, but with lag and bugs the game can be ultra frustrating to play.

Anyway, I played around last night and the only counter to facehug spam is parrying. kick was susceptible to flinching, and thus never came out.

Some tweaks to the interrupt would stop face hugging. Make a faster player require timing to get in and stab then out. Or kick faster. Or a attack that happens when face hugged, like a pommel strike or elbow. Anything that one would really be able to do to a person in your face.

• You know what you can do to a person in your face? You can block. That’s how it is designed. If someone with a shorter weapon gets inside your effective range and starts wailing on you and you’re unable to block, then you DIE. That’s how it’s designed, you got outplayed. Next time attack using your weapon’s reach and then retreat, keeping the distance manageable. If you missed your attack and he is rushing in during your recovery, try to turn to the side and sprint out of the way of his counter attack, then turn and attack again.

People blaming the game all the time as if they’re infallible is really starting to annoy me, I see it on the forums of every game. Stop assuming you’re playing perfectly, because if you were, you wouldn’t be having such issues. Until you’re playing without glaring errors, the fault does not lie with the game.