Alternate Stab Attack

• Why cant i point my longsword out toward an opponent without comitting to a massive thrust? This is used to keep the enemy at bay from rushing you (MAA/Archer spam) and would help with that nonsense. Interrupts are still exaggerated but this would help.

• Moved to Ideas and Suggestions Forum.

• @Warhawk66:

Why cant i point my longsword out toward an opponent without comitting to a massive thrust?

You can, actually, you just need to taunt with it. Granted, it doesn’t do any damage, but that can always be fixed!
    On a serious not though, I’d very much support giving an alternate attack to upward scroll. I think something like a strike with a pommel or handle would be cool, and it could be given to other non-sword weapons out there, with different animations. Granted, this will require a lot of animations, but it would enhance the gameplay a lot.

• 2 words: half-swording stab.

• Super fast stabs would not work in this game. They would be super op in face hug range due to a missing momentum system. So no, not possible without breaking the game.

• @Falc:

Super fast stabs would not work in this game. They would be super op in face hug range due to a missing momentum system. So no, not possible without breaking the game.

They wouldn’t be op if they did 1 damage, now would they? Numbers are always the balancing agent.

• @Velociraptor:

@Warhawk66:

Why cant i point my longsword out toward an opponent without comitting to a massive thrust?

You can, actually, you just need to taunt with it. Granted, it doesn’t do any damage, but that can always be fixed!
    On a serious not though, I’d very much support giving an alternate attack to upward scroll. I think something like a strike with a pommel or handle would be cool, and it could be given to other non-sword weapons out there, with different animations. Granted, this will require a lot of animations, but it would enhance the gameplay a lot.

This would be pretty cool.

For swords, axes and maces it would give them a short ranged whack in the face with the pommel. Spears and halberds would quickly whomp em with the back-side of the haft rather than the stabbing point.

Nice way to get a quick bit of damage on someone who’s in your face.

• @JHoersten2:

@Falc:

Super fast stabs would not work in this game. They would be super op in face hug range due to a missing momentum system. So no, not possible without breaking the game.

They wouldn’t be op if they did 1 damage, now would they? Numbers are always the balancing agent.

They would. Because even 1 damage flinches the enemy and then you have the time-advantage and can attack him. But wait you can’t, because he can instant interupt right back…and now you are caught in an eternal circle of instant long range interupting each other.

Non short range, super fast interupts are a big nono.

• So bassicly you want to take away the only advantage the MAA and archer have in melee.

• @Falc:

They would. Because even 1 damage flinches the enemy and then you have the time-advantage and can attack him. But wait you can’t, because he can instant interupt right back…and now you are caught in an eternal circle of instant long range interupting each other.

Non short range, super fast interupts are a big nono.

Oh, you’re assuming flinches work as intended. I’m sure they can program their way around that… When you talk about game additions, you can’t always base it off the present ruleset. Things would be modified to reflect the changes if they posed a problem.

• @lemonater47:

So bassicly you want to take away the only advantage the MAA and archer have in melee.

Archers shouldnt be in melee, and MAA are already fast enough to have a face hugging advantage

edit: or, archers should be the bowmen, javelins in the MAA class as the skirmishers they really were, vanguards and knights have crossbows. Then everyone can do every thing. Hope you read the partial sarcasm as intended

• @Warhawk66:

@lemonater47:

So bassicly you want to take away the only advantage the MAA and archer have in melee.

Archers shouldnt be in melee, and MAA are already fast enough to have a face hugging advantage

Archers shouldn’t be in melee what is this nonsense. I wrote the archer melee guide.

You must be one of the terrible archers sitting in the back shooting his own team.

And the MAA won’t be able to face hug as they won’t be able to get close enough.

• The main problem with an alternate stab attack is that, unlike slashes/overheads, stabs have no combo animation - thus it would require a new set of animations for every single weapon in the game. I think most people would prefer our animator to be working on new weapons, maps, etc., or touching up current animations.

• In real life you don’t “aim” at your enemy, many swords are heavy(germans),maybe you can do it for a few seconds using a sword or for more using a spear staying like “in punta di lancia”

• @Velociraptor:

Yes… +1 +1 +1