360 controller settings reset

• Hi all.

When I first installed Chivalry I messed with the controller settings. I read that there were some .ini files that could be adjusted for button configuration and sensitivity, for the 360 controller. It took a bit but I figured it out and changed some of the bindings and adjusted the sensitivity to my liking. All was right.

Then the update came. I played a bit of duel mode, noticed my button configuration was lost and that ‘toggle to sprint’ was turned off. I turned it back on again, saved the setting and came back into the game, only to find that my sensitivity was WAY TOO HIGH. I realized the game reset my settings, so I went back to the .ini files to change it all back again.

Here’s my problem: everything has changed. The structure of the .ini files has changed to such a degree that I can’t find the option to change the sensitivity. All that stuff has been moved around and I simply cannot locate the right line of code.

So why not try Xpadder?
    I did. I tried to let my right stick function as the mouse, so I could adjust the mouse sensitivity. But the game overrides these settings, sort of. It registers my Xpadder-settings, so in the menus I can use the right stick as a mouse. But in-game this is either being ignored or overridden, as my right stick is HYPER sensitive. I think the game also registers my 360-controller as a separate device for which the settings cannot be changed.

*** So where can I change the settings for the official 360 controller?
    * Or is there a way to make the game ignore it as a controller and let me set it up with Xpadder?**

I can’t play this game with mouse and keyboard (partly due to my setup) and I have no clue what to do now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.****

• UDKGame.ini (Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame\Config)

Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Start",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_ShowMenu",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftX",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_StrafeLeft_Gamepad",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftY",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_MoveForward_Gamepad",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightX",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_TurnLeft_Gamepad",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightY",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_Look_Gamepad",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Y",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_NextWeapon",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightTrigger",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_Fire",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftTrigger",SecondaryKey=,Command="DoParry | Onrelease LowerShield | GBA_Aim",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightShoulder",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_AltFire",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftShoulder",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_StartStab",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightThumbStick",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_Shove",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_B",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_Reload | GBA_Feint",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_X",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_Use",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Back",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_ShowScores",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_A",SecondaryKey=,Command="Jump",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftThumbStick",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_Sprint | GBA_Zoom",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Up",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_UpDuck",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Down",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_DownDuck",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Left",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_PlayBattleCry",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Right",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_ToggleXHair",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")

• Thanks! Would you also know where to change the sensitivity for the controller? Is that within the same document?

• @Jodokus_K:

Thanks! Would you also know where to change the sensitivity for the controller? Is that within the same document?

You’re welcome!

If I remember right, these are the two lines that you want for controller analog stick sensitivity:

Bindings=(Name="GBA_TurnLeft_Gamepad",SecondaryKey=,Command="Axis aTurn Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.2",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")
    Bindings=(Name="GBA_Look_Gamepad",SecondaryKey=,Command="Axis aLookup Speed=0.65 DeadZone=0.2",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")

Just increase the value next to “Speed” on each one. I find that a value of 5 to be extremely fast.

• Hello, newbie in search of help here. This thread seems to be the answer to my prayers; however I’d be extremely grateful if someone would be kind enough to explain to me what exactly I am supposed to do with the comprehensive and confusing ini file info pasted above. Am I supposed to just copy/paste it over what I already have?

Also, does one need to make the file ‘read only’ after making changes?

Thanks in advance!

• @CaptainQuint:

Hello, newbie in search of help here. This thread seems to be the answer to my prayers; however I’d be extremely grateful if someone would be kind enough to explain to me what exactly I am supposed to do with the comprehensive and confusing ini file info pasted above. Am I supposed to just copy/paste it over what I already have?

Also, does one need to make the file ‘read only’ after making changes?

Thanks in advance!

Hi CaptainQuint,

If you are referring to changing the sensitivity of the analog sticks, find those two lines in the UDKGame.ini and just change the value next to “speed” for each one. You don’t have to make it read only.

• Thanks, I figured it out in the end.

Using an Xbox controller is actually pretty viable with this game, but is it possible to map buttons to my preference in the ini? The B button to reload seems to be bugged and doesn’t complete the action whenever pressing it and I could do with a projectile camera button, among other helpful functions which are unfortunately lacking from the devs own curious choices. I hope they patch better functionality in soon. And a less twitchy thumbstick aim when zoomed in is an absolute must!

The game seems brilliant, but coming over from consoles could be made more attractive to the newcomer. My pc is actually hidden behind the living room plasma screen, because I like to play from the sofa rather than at desktop - hence my controller preference.

• @CaptainQuint:

Thanks, I figured it out in the end.

Using an Xbox controller is actually pretty viable with this game, but is it possible to map buttons to my preference in the ini? The B button to reload seems to be bugged and doesn’t complete the action whenever pressing it and I could do with a projectile camera button, among other helpful functions which are unfortunately lacking from the devs own curious choices. I hope they patch better functionality in soon. And a less twitchy thumbstick aim when zoomed in is an absolute must!

The game seems brilliant, but coming over from consoles could be made more attractive to the newcomer. My pc is actually hidden behind the living room plasma screen, because I like to play from the sofa rather than at desktop - hence my controller preference.

Yes it is possible to map the buttons to whatever you please.

The crossbow reloading is a bug that should be fixed for the next patch as it’s a very very simple fix. What happens is that the B button is bound to both reload and feint - in that order. So when you press B, it reloads and then feints, meaning you feint out of a reload. It’s a simple fix of switching the order to Feint and then Reload.

This is the line for the B button by default:

Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_B",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_Reload | GBA_Feint",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")

Switch the order of GBA_Reload and GBA_Feint. So it should look like this:

Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_B",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_Feint | GBA_Reload",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")

That’s all in the same UDKGame.ini.

Are there any buttons in particular that you would like to remap? I can help you get the gist of it for anything else.

Adding better support for configuring controllers is on the list for the devs, but it is not the highest priority at the moment since so few people actually use controllers for this game. They definitely see the value in it though. Their main concern is bug fixes and getting the mod tools out right now. It’s a small team that’s also going through some personnel changes at the moment and they’re doing the best that they can.

They thank you for your patience as they work to make the best game possible for everyone :)

• A bit late (I’ve been away), but thanks for your kind help. It worked! One last thing though if you please: is there no option to map the projectile camera to a button on to the controller? Aiming is already extremely difficult as it is on a pad but I’m thinking misfires with close-up camera might help gauge subsequent shots.

Cheers.

• @CaptainQuint:

A bit late (I’ve been away), but thanks for your kind help. It worked! One last thing though if you please: is there no option to map the projectile camera to a button on to the controller? Aiming is already extremely difficult as it is on a pad but I’m thinking misfires with close-up camera might help gauge subsequent shots.

Cheers.

You’re welcome. Marking this thread Solved. :)

Add “GBA_ArrowCam” to the button that you want in the bindings. For example, if you wanted to add it to the right analog stick (push) in addition to the default bind of kick, it would look like this:

Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightThumbStick",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_Shove | GBA_ArrowCam",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")

Notice the “|” between GBA_Shove and GBA_ArrowCam. That’s necessary when you add more than one command to a bind. So it will attempt to do a shove (kick) and then arrow cam. This should be a safe bind for both melee and archer classes. If they ever add in kicking with your bow out, this may need to be changed ;)

• Just some info, i know this thread is solved, but i went through all the .ini stuff and it works great. The easiest thing to do however, if you use a controller for many games, is to download Pinnacle Game Profiler. It has an override feature (they call it DirectX Override) that lets you block a factory controller input and replace it with one of your choice. Example, when you press and A button you jump. This program will let you change the A button to a X button so that when you play Chivalry the game reads an A button push as an X button push, or a Y button can be changed so that it reads it as a start button push, or any button you want. This elimates the need to modify game files and gives you more options. You can map the right thumbstick to the mouse also, that way you can control the sensitivity of the thumbstick. I cant remember off hand but i think I paid $10-20 for Pinnacle, but has been well worth it for these features alone.

• @ReMixx:

@CaptainQuint:

A bit late (I’ve been away), but thanks for your kind help. It worked! One last thing though if you please: is there no option to map the projectile camera to a button on to the controller? Aiming is already extremely difficult as it is on a pad but I’m thinking misfires with close-up camera might help gauge subsequent shots.

Cheers.

You’re welcome. Marking this thread Solved. :)

Add “GBA_ArrowCam” to the button that you want in the bindings. For example, if you wanted to add it to the right analog stick (push) in addition to the default bind of kick, it would look like this:

Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightThumbStick",SecondaryKey=,Command="GBA_Shove | GBA_ArrowCam",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False,Flag=,FriendlyName="Unknown")

Notice the “|” between GBA_Shove and GBA_ArrowCam. That’s necessary when you add more than one command to a bind. So it will attempt to do a shove (kick) and then arrow cam. This should be a safe bind for both melee and archer classes. If they ever add in kicking with your bow out, this may need to be changed ;)

Hmm, no matter what I do or change I cannot get these to work. The right thumbstick simply will not activate the arrow cam, to my frustration. I’d also like to map aiming zoom to the left trigger instead of the left thumbstick, but I can’t get that to work either. And whilst I was at it I tried in vain to swap reload with D-Pad Crouch and instead map Crouch/Stand to the much more intuitively placed B button, but alas it won’t do it.

At first I thought it might have been because I was making the changes (and testing them) on the fly with the game open in a window, but even restarting had no effect.

Damn, this game needs updating with better config options!