Final Impressions - Post here!

• I think I stop playing till the next hotfix. Here are my impressions of the game post patch

Things they changed for the better:

• I haven’t found anything yet

Things they changed for the worse:(read: things that didn’t need fixing or fixed in the wrong direction)

• Kick
    • Axe and knife throwing
    • Feint stamina costs(!!!omg)
    • overall the combat feels weird now. But I can’t realy point the finger on the problems. (Its not weird like changed mechanics and u feel like a noob again)
    • much more lag
    • 1h weapons reach is fucked up
    • all reaches feel totaly weird now. Sometimes they extend sometimes they shorten (befor the patch I could judge the reach of a weapon almosts always right. After the patch it droped to a 50/50 chance. And I can’t adjust because sometimes the reach increases sometimes it decreases)

Things they didn’t fix:

• flinch bugs
      **- attack that don’t hit happen more often now
    • ignored blocks happen more often now**
    • animation glitches
    • Keys beeing randomely ignored
    • attack queueing

Nice things they added:

• new weapons
    • some of the new maps

Bad things they added:

• citadel map
    • duel maps (much to narrow ur a fool if u take a long weapon)

In short: I love this game, but combat feels weird and the fun is gone.

• There is the occasional bug but i really love this game dude, and even though i suffer some fps drops on Citadel my rig is pretty beast-like so it doesn’t really affect my gameplay. I love this game and i’m willing to ignore most of the bugs, unless i’m losing, it’s all your fault when i’m losing, Torn Banner! :P

• Frankly I think the patch completely destroyed the game play.

MAA teleport is worse than ever. You can’t even see them anymore. They just blink around hacking people. This cannot possibly be working as intended and if it is then Torn Banner should promptly stop developing games and go to work at McDonald’s.

The buckler (javelin thrower) is still just a complete piece of shit. Frankly I wish they would just make it so I do not have to carry it.

The new weapons were frankly unnecessary. I think much of the player base would have been far happier with bug fixes and balance of the current classes.

The new maps are just silly.

• Final impression: I love this game.

• @restinpieces:

• duel maps (much to narrow ur a fool if u take a long weapon)

I’m 400 wins - 44 losses, all with a 2h sword.

L2P, good sir. Combat and maps are just fine.

• @MeGusta:

Final impression: I love this game.

Forgot to write that. thx.

• Can you provide a bit of clarification on these two?:

• Kick
    • Axe and knife throwing

Also it did feel a bit “weird”, the first time I started up Chiv after a while, and after the patch had been released. However that’s just because things had changed slightly so it was DIFFERENT. Sure there’s still a couple of things that annoy me but, now I’ve played a bit and gotten used to it again, I certainly don’t feel “ZOMFG GAME IS BROKE!”. It’s just as fun as usual really.

• I think he means that he doesn’t like how the kick has been slowed and the stun effect really makes a difference now. As for the throwing stuff, i honestly didn’t notice anything. As a matter of fact i’ve been getting hit by those things a lot more since the patch.

• @BobT36:

Can you provide a bit of clarification on these two?:

• Kick
    • Axe and knife throwing

Also it did feel a bit “weird”, the first time I started up Chiv after a while, and after the patch had been released. However that’s just because things had changed slightly so it was DIFFERENT. Sure there’s still a couple of things that annoy me but, now I’ve played a bit and gotten used to it again, I certainly don’t feel “ZOMFG GAME IS BROKE!”. It’s just as fun as usual really.

The kick delay is just bad. There was no need to change it. It was changed because they made the kick vs. shield powerfull so they had to nerf the kick. All the kicking of edges in midfight is just gone. If ur enemy is moving and attacking u never gona get a kick in. Maa backpaddling can’t even be hit by a kick now.

Axe and knife throwing is delayed and the range is shortened. I could not hit shit after the patch. But of course this is a change one can adapt to. The questions is why change it in the first place? What was wrong with them before patch? It seems weird they spend time to change this instead of real issues.

• Only the shield bash was changed, actually. Before, shield bashes were faster than kicks, despite having the same effect. So now they’re the same speed as kicks are and always have been.

Throwing weapons also underwent no gameplay relevant changes, just a slight animation change on throwing axes (same timings).

• @SlyGoat:

Only the shield bash was changed, actually. Before, shield bashes were faster than kicks, despite having the same effect. So now they’re the same speed as kicks are and always have been.

Throwing weapons also underwent no gameplay relevant changes, just a slight animation change on throwing axes (same timings).

If this is true then they realy messed up the game somwhere else, because there is definitly a change. (u can find posts about it all around the forum).
    But if it is something else and not timing that would fit in why ghost attacks and ignored blocks are much much much more common than before the patch.

I did play some games today, I just can’t stop myself :/ and there was a very typical situation. A guy with a Claymor was running at me holding a spear. He swang I poked. I should have been out of range but he still hit me at the moment my spear was fully extended and poked right into his chest… without doing any damage. No lag issue as we both had <50 ping.

• This reminds me of all the “I swear X and Y are different” on the NHL forums. EA is terrible about actually telling people what their tuner updates change, so there’s always these rumors and wild speculation and placebo effects and anecdotal evidence about everything from here to the moon.

Same deal with this, all the problems in your gameplay that you’re seeing, you’re blaming on the patch. Maybe it’s something as simple as your FOV or resolution got changed, maybe there’s an extra lighting option that got turned on and makes things a little off-kilter for you. Maybe you hit “U” and your reticle is gone which screws you up!

Who knows, but the game’s patch notes are available for viewing, conjecture is not needed.

• @Daiyuki:

This reminds me of all the “I swear X and Y are different” on the NHL forums. EA is terrible about actually telling people what their tuner updates change, so there’s always these rumors and wild speculation and placebo effects and anecdotal evidence about everything from here to the moon.

Same deal with this, all the problems in your gameplay that you’re seeing, you’re blaming on the patch. Maybe it’s something as simple as your FOV or resolution got changed, maybe there’s an extra lighting option that got turned on and makes things a little off-kilter for you. Maybe you hit “U” and your reticle is gone which screws you up!

Who knows, but the game’s patch notes are available for viewing, conjecture is not needed.

To add to this, the patch notes are taken right from our commit logs on the working copy of the game. There is nothing to be gained from hiding changes. If its not in the patch notes, it didn’t change. An exception would be a bug, in which case, do report!

• @SlyGoat:

Only the shield bash was changed, actually. Before, shield bashes were faster than kicks, despite having the same effect.

Are you comparing to beta or the previous live version?

@SlyGoat:

So now they’re the same speed as kicks are and always have been.

Kick speed is not the same. I also saw Martin state this as well and I don’t how all the people noticing it changing are wrong. Can you please explain how the kick speed is the same? Here’s a video from the CU1 beta where the kick speed was untouched.

kbHk1a824Wk

@Andrew:

If its not in the patch notes, it didn’t change. An exception would be a bug, in which case, do report!

Kick was ninja nerfed in RC1 from CU1. I don’t see anything about that in the patch notes.

• Keep in mind the devs are also human beings, so if they forgot to add something, or added something that wasn’t supposed to be in the patch notes, it happens.

Humans, not robots. xP

• @Kimiko:

Keep in mind the devs are also human beings, so if they forgot to add something, or added something that wasn’t supposed to be in the patch notes, it happens.

Humans, not robots. xP

I heard some of the devs were actually secret space lizards sent to Earth to enslave humanity.

• My only gripe with the game as it is right now, is the net code; a lot of weapons are out of sync, and hitboxes can differ if there’s just a little bit of lag on player’s side, or on the server’s side. (it’s not uncommon knowledge that low ping servers still provide you with a higher ping, than what is being advertised.) Even being in first person, you’ll see an arrow fly over your head, and then a 0.3 sec later it states you’ve been headshotted. This is something you can adapt to, but it’s not a great feature and creates frustrating randomness I think everyone would enjoy being without. Handling this and making everything more in sync, would create a much smoother and relatable game, and would get rid of alot of curious issues players’ have been said to have, lately. (esp. after the patch)

Other than that, and the feint debate which is undergoing (excited to see how this will turn out…), I very much love this game. In fact, I’ve not had this much fun in a game (besides DOTA2) since M&B:Warband initially was released. Which is about 3 years ago. Thank you for this game, you have a player’s utmost support!

:2hand:

• @Daiyuki:

This reminds me of all the “I swear X and Y are different” on the NHL forums. EA is terrible about actually telling people what their tuner updates change, so there’s always these rumors and wild speculation and placebo effects and anecdotal evidence about everything from here to the moon.

thx but im not dumb. I checked and changed all! configs right after the patch.

@Andrew:

To add to this, the patch notes are taken right from our commit logs on the working copy of the game. There is nothing to be gained from hiding changes. If its not in the patch notes, it didn’t change. An exception would be a bug, in which case, do report!

That is nice, because this would mean there is something wrong and all the crap that is happening isn’t intended.

Unfortunatelly I can’t provide “hard fact” but this is what I observed. I use the spear a lot and I don’t think the spear got changed. Before the patch my K/D was almost always between 2.5 and 3 after the patch it dropped to 1-1.5 with some games as low as 0.3. The thing is i don’t die because im suddenly stupid or the other is a real good player. I die to lmb spam a lot because my hit doesn’t do dmg or my block right on the weapon tip doesn’t register.

• @Herkulades:

My only gripe with the game as it is right now, is the net code; a lot of weapons are out of sync, and hitboxes can differ…

100% agree. Personally i don’t care about costumization, few more weapons, eagle sounds…etc as long as netcode isn’t fixed. Netcode is the basic of online game. Besides game engine it is the core, which should be fully optimized before adding new content. TBS should definitly pay much more attention towards netcode.

• @Peacerer:

@Herkulades:

My only gripe with the game as it is right now, is the net code; a lot of weapons are out of sync, and hitboxes can differ…

100% agree. Personally i don’t care about costumization, few more weapons, eagle sounds…etc as long as netcode isn’t fixed. Netcode is the basic of online game. Besides game engine it is the core, which should be fully optimized before adding new content. TBS should definitly pay much more attention towards netcode.

I agree too, I think the Netcode maybe the reason why parry feels broken currently, but I am not sure, overall game optimization is needed, in the previous patch the combat felt much fluid, even I really like a lot of changes in this patch such balance of some weapons, the alt-swing and shield/ kick balance.