Poll: Which set of maps do you like better post patch

• So do you like the old maps better or the new maps?

Why, is there something to be learned from map design?

Personally I prefer the old maps, perhaps due to greater visibility (even though I rarely play an archer nowadays).

• I prefer the old maps, especially Stoneshill. Feels like they’ve had a bit more time poured into design and so on, Hillside is quite hard though, but do-able.

I do like Citadel and Frigid, with a bit of optimisation and some design changes (Hillside spawn and damage from dropping off the cliff on the way out), they’d be perfectly fine enough to be just as good/fun as the rest. :)

Edit: The Wall map is nice too. First time played on it today.

• The only map I’ve really played throughout is Citadel and I’ve noticed that if Mason’s don’t hold the first objective it’s pretty much game over for them due to the fact that the first slaves are easily freed. The second slaves as well, since there are more slaves than the ammount required(Same with Stoneshill peasants), the doors break too easily and Malric is harder to defend due to the spawn being almost right outside the throne room.

So, yes, I do like the old maps better but that’s because I’ve hardly played the new maps.

• I really like Citadel and Frigid. CTF on Frigid is a blast!

• I like 'em both, man. They feel like they fit in very well to me. People say Citadel can’t be defending past first obj but it can, especially on the doors. Argon’s Wall has an amazing atmosphere and flow, and allows for some really good team work. If personal skill players like my self are lucky, we can pull some enemies into the hallways inside the wall to take away from teamwork. Frigid is also a blast because there’s so many different parts of the map where you’re constantly fighting. They really added a lot of fresh experiences for me into the game that I enjoy. I still love the old maps just the same, and I’m excited for even more maps in the future.

• Apologies to interject on your poll OP, but added an “I like both” option. I feel pretty much the majority of people would vote liking the old ones regardless, due to being most familiar with them, either that or not vote at all through not wanting to choose. This should let people truly pick what they feel, and post reasoning.

Feel free to change it back if you absolutely disagree, but I think we’d get more accurate opinions this way.

• I put old maps. To be 100% honest, I don’t care much for the new maps. I like the ideas of the new maps in general… It’s hard to explain, but most of them don’t feel like “Chivalry” to me… I don’t hate them, I just don’t like them near as much as the old ones.

• @BobT36:

Apologies to interject on your poll OP, but added an “I like both” option. I feel pretty much the majority of people would vote liking the old ones regardless, due to being most familiar with them, either that or not vote at all through not wanting to choose. This should let people truly pick what they feel, and post reasoning.

Feel free to change it back if you absolutely disagree, but I think we’d get more accurate opinions this way.

lol its fine.

except we lost the previous votes.

• Yeah sorry, I always forget that happens. :X

• Fridged is pretty cool except why are there two broken ships in a frozen river at the edge of a waterfall? Just doesn’t make sense and breaks the immersion. It does have some nice foliage and laid out pretty well. It also has some solid playability.

Citadel, well that is another story. First off I have never understood why you would build a castle near an active volcano other than “hey wouldn’t that be cool?” It seems the first part, I feel like Riddick running for cover waiting for the sun to bake us into little crisps. There is also the huge gap where you can fall all the way to the bottom of the map and see just how non optimized it is. This map is huge and the FPS is for crap with 15 or more players. No surprise there. Then you hit the Indiana Jones and the temple of doom robotic slave area which seems kind of boring, pretty but boring. And finally you have the open area and the throne room. Sorry but the throne room design just kills it for me. It looks like something out of Halo. The color scheme is all wrong. The architecture is all wrong and just plain doesn’t fit. The stairs were cool for about 3 mins.

While the map sound good in idea, but poor in execution on many levels.

Some of the duel maps are cool, small and nice. I dont care for the game mode with this style of game design. Mostly because I prefer the open map where you duel others and can watch many duels going on at once. You can also go in and troll kill a winner for fun. The traditional open duel servers also had elements of respect and chivalrous action and if you wanted to be not so chivalrous, you could be. All of this led to great fun. The current duel maps are all about stats and not so much fun. Thus we do not run any of them.

• While most of the new maps are ok that volcano map is just so horribly unbalanced. A real server drainer. No doubt in my mind that the old ones are better.

• None, they are just recycled maps from the first game (half life mod age of chivalry) and we only got 1 objective map. Just kinda sad, if you are going to recycle maps, meaning u have all the codes, textures everything already then all that would take 10 minutes to produce the patch they gave us. Atleast recycle MORE maps in future patches if you are going to do it.

This patch just seemed like a long wait for……ill wait? CTF is pointless, flag return man gets 5 points…thats half of what a kill gets lol. And if 4 people defend. Thats game over. Duel maps look like beta maps to me, and everyone with eyes…be honest. And the new weapons are quickly to be looked at as old, because they arent very good.

Age of chivalry had alot of cool maps, its a shame out of ALL the ones they picked they picked the simplest.

My bro got a game as a joke called WarZ. Now if you know anything about them, they were kicked off steam because they were just lying about content that was in the game and comming, that really wasnt going to come for awhile. Torn banner, sadly is starting to seem like those makers. When i log in the only thing that makes me realize im playing the “new” patch is when i randomly get in a duel server…thats it.

Just make more MAPS. Thats all, make OBJECTIVE maps. So you can section them off into every game type available so they are maps for EVERYONE. Make longer objective ones too, dont wont games to feel like bf3 conquest (hours) but atleast give us some content if you are dropping patches.

• @yayolol:

y then all that would take 10 minutes to produce the patch they gave us.

There is so much wrong with your post I don’t know where to start. 10 minutes? Ok obviously you don’t know anything about software development, but I assume you are just a kid out of school.

The duelling code alone was a great new feature. Sure more maps, but good objective maps take substantial time to design to be a) different b) balanced c) original. Plus they fixed a lot of things. Plus they released it in a short timeframe for free.

• @yayolol:

Just make more MAPS. Thats all, make OBJECTIVE maps. So you can section them off into every game type available so they are maps for EVERYONE. Make longer objective ones too, dont wont games to feel like bf3 conquest (hours) but atleast give us some content if you are dropping patches.

I don’t think they need to. Once the mod tools are released people will make maps, and hopefully there will be an easy way to rate them so that we can get the best of the best maps onto the official servers in rotation.

• All recycled maps?

There’s um, StonesHill, DarkForest and Battlefield…All of which are similar only in name / general setting really. The map design, layout, objectives and mechanics are entirely different…

• @BobT36:

Apologies to interject on your poll OP, but added an “I like both” option. I feel pretty much the majority of people would vote liking the old ones regardless, due to being most familiar with them, either that or not vote at all through not wanting to choose. This should let people truly pick what they feel, and post reasoning.

Both? There were more than two added… Argon’s Wall, Duel maps…

• The only map starting to bother me is Arena… not really for the map itself, but for usual player behaviour: running like a goddamn charge from spawn to half arena and then, suddenly…… “mmmmh, maybe let’s stop here and send other guys ahead”. Most of the time you charge with your team you suddenly find yourself alone surrounded by the enemy team.

@ReMixx:

@BobT36:

ehmm, “both” old and new maps he means.

• @Nevetz:

The only map starting to bother me is Arena… not really for the map itself, but for usual player behaviour: running like a goddamn charge from spawn to half arena and then, suddenly…… “mmmmh, maybe let’s stop here and send other guys ahead”. Most of the time you charge with your team you suddenly find yourself alone surrounded by the enemy team.

@ReMixx:

@BobT36:

ehmm, “both” old and new maps he means.

I am guilty of that on Arena. Works better to stay together, but the temptation to flank and cherry pick is there. It comes back to bite you when the front line guys get wiped out, then it is 7v4 against the guys who decided to hang back.

• I’m starting to notice the same pattern whenever the Citadel map starts - server gets empthy.

• I think most of the new maps are great, but the unfortunate inclusion of Citadel in that category forced me the pick the “old maps are better” option.

I love this game. People complain about bugs and frustrating mechanics, but I’ve never found myself bothered by any of them, and overall Chivalry has drawn me in like no other “FPS” game ever has. Its concept is (almost) unique and the devs did an amazing job of making combat the funnest thing since… well, ever!

Then Citadel was released. I’m prepared to overlook the incredible imbalance inherent in the first objective - that could conceivably be an honest mistake - but WHO THE FUCK makes a map where the first 60 seconds after spawning are spent running in straight line, with no combat, damaging yourself as you as you go by falling over cliffs? I did not think Chivalry was supposed to be a marathon simulator game. I do not want to spend 90% of my playtime holding down the “W” key.

I cannot reconcile my previous high opinion of Torn Banner and their products, with the Citadel map. They must have been hammered while making it or something. That’s the only explanation I can think of.

@Peacerer:

I’m starting to notice the same pattern whenever the Citadel map starts - server gets empthy.

My experience too. Please, TB, either fix this map or scrap it entirely.