Poll: Which set of maps do you like better post patch

• @yayolol:

y then all that would take 10 minutes to produce the patch they gave us.

There is so much wrong with your post I don’t know where to start. 10 minutes? Ok obviously you don’t know anything about software development, but I assume you are just a kid out of school.

The duelling code alone was a great new feature. Sure more maps, but good objective maps take substantial time to design to be a) different b) balanced c) original. Plus they fixed a lot of things. Plus they released it in a short timeframe for free.

• @yayolol:

Just make more MAPS. Thats all, make OBJECTIVE maps. So you can section them off into every game type available so they are maps for EVERYONE. Make longer objective ones too, dont wont games to feel like bf3 conquest (hours) but atleast give us some content if you are dropping patches.

I don’t think they need to. Once the mod tools are released people will make maps, and hopefully there will be an easy way to rate them so that we can get the best of the best maps onto the official servers in rotation.

• All recycled maps?

There’s um, StonesHill, DarkForest and Battlefield…All of which are similar only in name / general setting really. The map design, layout, objectives and mechanics are entirely different…

• @BobT36:

Apologies to interject on your poll OP, but added an “I like both” option. I feel pretty much the majority of people would vote liking the old ones regardless, due to being most familiar with them, either that or not vote at all through not wanting to choose. This should let people truly pick what they feel, and post reasoning.

Feel free to change it back if you absolutely disagree, but I think we’d get more accurate opinions this way.

Both? There were more than two added… Argon’s Wall, Duel maps…

• The only map starting to bother me is Arena… not really for the map itself, but for usual player behaviour: running like a goddamn charge from spawn to half arena and then, suddenly…… “mmmmh, maybe let’s stop here and send other guys ahead”. Most of the time you charge with your team you suddenly find yourself alone surrounded by the enemy team.

@ReMixx:

@BobT36:

Apologies to interject on your poll OP, but added an “I like both” option. I feel pretty much the majority of people would vote liking the old ones regardless, due to being most familiar with them, either that or not vote at all through not wanting to choose. This should let people truly pick what they feel, and post reasoning.

Feel free to change it back if you absolutely disagree, but I think we’d get more accurate opinions this way.

ehmm, “both” old and new maps he means.

• @Nevetz:

The only map starting to bother me is Arena… not really for the map itself, but for usual player behaviour: running like a goddamn charge from spawn to half arena and then, suddenly…… “mmmmh, maybe let’s stop here and send other guys ahead”. Most of the time you charge with your team you suddenly find yourself alone surrounded by the enemy team.

@ReMixx:

@BobT36:

ehmm, “both” old and new maps he means.

I am guilty of that on Arena. Works better to stay together, but the temptation to flank and cherry pick is there. It comes back to bite you when the front line guys get wiped out, then it is 7v4 against the guys who decided to hang back.

• I’m starting to notice the same pattern whenever the Citadel map starts - server gets empthy.

• I think most of the new maps are great, but the unfortunate inclusion of Citadel in that category forced me the pick the “old maps are better” option.

I love this game. People complain about bugs and frustrating mechanics, but I’ve never found myself bothered by any of them, and overall Chivalry has drawn me in like no other “FPS” game ever has. Its concept is (almost) unique and the devs did an amazing job of making combat the funnest thing since… well, ever!

Then Citadel was released. I’m prepared to overlook the incredible imbalance inherent in the first objective - that could conceivably be an honest mistake - but WHO THE FUCK makes a map where the first 60 seconds after spawning are spent running in straight line, with no combat, damaging yourself as you as you go by falling over cliffs? I did not think Chivalry was supposed to be a marathon simulator game. I do not want to spend 90% of my playtime holding down the “W” key.

I cannot reconcile my previous high opinion of Torn Banner and their products, with the Citadel map. They must have been hammered while making it or something. That’s the only explanation I can think of.

@Peacerer:

I’m starting to notice the same pattern whenever the Citadel map starts - server gets empthy.

My experience too. Please, TB, either fix this map or scrap it entirely.

• @DifferentFrogs:

I think most of the new maps are great, but the unfortunate inclusion of Citadel in that category forced me the pick the “old maps are better” option.

I love this game. People complain about bugs and frustrating mechanics, but I’ve never found myself bothered by any of them, and overall Chivalry has drawn me in like no other “FPS” game ever has. Its concept is (almost) unique and the devs did an amazing job of making combat the funnest thing since… well, ever!

Then Citadel was released. I’m prepared to overlook the incredible imbalance inherent in the first objective - that could conceivably be an honest mistake - but WHO THE FUCK makes a map where the first 60 seconds after spawning are spent running in straight line, with no combat, damaging yourself as you as you go by falling over cliffs? I did not think Chivalry was supposed to be a marathon simulator game. I do not want to spend 90% of my playtime holding down the “W” key.

I cannot reconcile my previous high opinion of Torn Banner and their products, with the Citadel map. They must have been hammered while making it or something. That’s the only explanation I can think of.

@Peacerer:

I’m starting to notice the same pattern whenever the Citadel map starts - server gets empthy.

My experience too. Please, TB, either fix this map or scrap it entirely.

Citadel will be seeing some major overhauls in the next patch. I promise it is much better ;)

• The worst part about new maps is that they were even less optimized that the old ones. 30 fps on gts 660ti overclocked is bs for something that looks like 2007 game. Same goes for the foggy wall map. And that’s not to mention game’s coding as well, 20% cpu and 30% gpu usage and barely 100 frames is pretty fucked up.

• The new maps are interesting, yet feel cluttered and unfocused. Simple maps are often the most popular in games.

• old maps feel more medieval
    voted old maps

• Oldies. New ones are mostly for duel mode (which I currently hate). Stoneshill, throneroom and battlegrounds all the way. :D

• @Andrew:

Citadel will be seeing some major overhauls in the next patch. I promise it is much better ;)

Aw, thanks Andrew! Glad to hear some fixes are in the works :D

• New maps are nice. Disregarding the issues with Citadel and the issues of balance with the objectives.

I love the look of Citadel. Ash raining from the sky, rivers of lava, destruction and death. It is a perfect place for the game’s lore “Final Battle” if there was ever to be such a thing. Once it’s optimized it should really be a nice map to duke it out on.

Argon’s Wall is great. A very balanced map and still very fun with a lot of people playing. I like the background village on fire and the little things going on in the background.

Old maps are always fun to play I’ve found. Duel maps are nice and balanced, interesting routes to take and surprise your opponent with.

Frigid is very poorly optimized, I can barely play it with a large server. Kill icons from Snowballs of Doom and traps could have been done better.

Looking forward to more TO maps and extension of the old TO maps as well. I remember a dev talking about pushing changes for an additional stage added to Battlegrounds for example which would be awesome if ever finished.

• When I created the thread I didn’t realize Citadel was the only TO map. I just assumed the other maps had team objective modes to them.

So you can’t really compare new to old except for Citadel (which obviously had a lot of balance issues they are fixing in the next patch - I liked the artwork and design just needs objective tweaking).