Why was the Zweihander buffed so much?

• Or at all?

The lines between each of the three greatswords are blurred now. With the buff to the Zwei - it’s speed, range, power - what reason do I have to choose the other two? Was anyone really complaining about the Zwei in the first place, pre-patch?

• Zwei buff was really small. You now need one overheadheadshot(and a overheadbodyshot) instead of two to kill a knight. That’s it. Vanguard swords (greatsword/claymore) are pretty lackluster…you are better off taking a knight longsword/sword of war instead. You sacrifice a tiny amount of reach for 50% more health…no brainer deal.

• Claymore is pretty damn quick and really good at combo’ing. Greatsword has good reach and damage, good for keeping enemies out of range while you cut them down. Zwiehander has even better range and damage, and is really good if you know how to use it, but it’s very slow and will result in your death most of the time if you’re not experienced with it. Zwiehander takes a mastery of footwork, mouse-dragging, feints, dancing, and general combat awareness to do well with, but if you can use it effectively you can basically control any FFA or duel server. Claymore is a good starter sword for Vanguard, Greatsword is a good experiment weapon once you’re good with Claymore, and Zwiehander is a slow but brutal weapon you need to practice with to unlock its power. Until you’re good enough to rock some kids with it, you’re probably better off going knight and using his swords until you learn them.

• Why was the zweihander buffed…? Because it was (and still is) a crappier bardiche.

• @Oy:

Claymore is pretty damn quick and really good at combo’ing. Greatsword has good reach and damage, good for keeping enemies out of range while you cut them down. Zwiehander has even better range and damage, and is really good if you know how to use it, but it’s very slow and will result in your death most of the time if you’re not experienced with it. Zwiehander takes a mastery of footwork, mouse-dragging, feints, dancing, and general combat awareness to do well with, but if you can use it effectively you can basically control any FFA or duel server. Claymore is a good starter sword for Vanguard, Greatsword is a good experiment weapon once you’re good with Claymore, and Zwiehander is a slow but brutal weapon you need to practice with to unlock its power. Until you’re good enough to rock some kids with it, you’re probably better off going knight and using his swords until you learn them.

I think my problem with the greatsword line is the fact that the stats are way too similar - especially between the greatsword and claymore. I use them both, but I honestly can’t tell the difference in performance except the greatsword has a longer reach. To my knowledge, if you can handle a greatsword, you’d rape with a Zweihander with this recent buff since it’s only slightly slower. On paper, I can see the difference, in practice - not so much.

• @Gadwin:

Why was the zweihander buffed…? Because it was (and still is) a crappier bardiche.

Except the Zweihander does 15 more damage on the overhead, 5 more on the Slash, and 30 more on the thrust. It also has a decent sprint attack.

Is that enough to make it comparable to the Bardiche? Maybe, maybe not. It might make sense to at least give the Zweihander better recovery times. It is a huge amount slower.

• @omg87:

@Oy:

Claymore is pretty damn quick and really good at combo’ing. Greatsword has good reach and damage, good for keeping enemies out of range while you cut them down. Zwiehander has even better range and damage, and is really good if you know how to use it, but it’s very slow and will result in your death most of the time if you’re not experienced with it. Zwiehander takes a mastery of footwork, mouse-dragging, feints, dancing, and general combat awareness to do well with, but if you can use it effectively you can basically control any FFA or duel server. Claymore is a good starter sword for Vanguard, Greatsword is a good experiment weapon once you’re good with Claymore, and Zwiehander is a slow but brutal weapon you need to practice with to unlock its power. Until you’re good enough to rock some kids with it, you’re probably better off going knight and using his swords until you learn them.

I think my problem with the greatsword line is the fact that the stats are way too similar - especially between the greatsword and claymore. I use them both, but I honestly can’t tell the difference in performance except the greatsword has a longer reach. To my knowledge, if you can handle a greatsword, you’d rape with a Zweihander with this recent buff since it’s only slightly slower. On paper, I can see the difference, in practice - not so much.

It would seem that way, but when you look at the spreadsheets you see a bit of a difference. For example, a lot of people say Longsword and Sword of War for knight are identical, but Sword of War has a brutal stab compared to Longsword, and it’s also faster, making it better for combos. Longsword on the other hand is good for overheads and slashes, doing more damage with those attacks at a slightly longer range than Sword of War. It’s pretty much the same with Greatsword vs. Claymore. Also, Zwiehander isn’t a slower Greatsword. Zwiehander is the master of swords, drinker of souls, slayer of immortals, darker than 1000 eclipses is the heart of any warrior powerful enough to wield such a masterfully crafted doombringer such as the Zwiehander. Woe is the man foolish enough to tread in its path, dead and conquered is the man foolish enough to oppose its strength.

• Lol, the zwei must be the worst of the 2h in the entire game…

Claymore owns all.

• What some people still dont get is that all the 3 Vanguard swords are awesome - if used in the right situation.

I usually use the Greatsword, its just my weapon, I love it. Still, sometimes a claymore is more practical, let’s say in smaller/narrow maps with less space to fight, lots of walls or when you duel a MAA etc.

The Zweihänder is only really useful in the open and when fighting multiple enemies.
    Triple kill anyone?