Please change duel mode

• The way duel mode works at the moment is a bit ridiculous, its not determining a proper ladder system.
    It seems to be first to reach 10 kills wins, and normally the best on in the lobby doesn’t go against some people, he ends up 10-0 and doesn’t have to worry about fighting someone who could potentially beat him.
    A better system would be a ladder system, tree system like in real sports etc.
    that way, the two best would fight at the end.
    The current system is unfair, for example, i like to take my time and play some mind games with the enemy. ^^
    But this then means i loose out because others can duel faster.
    There is only one downside i can see to the proper ladder system and that is that once someone is out, there out and this would result in them probably leaving the server, thus increasing load on the server from people joining and leaving.

Would like to see this better system implemented!

Many thanks,

Miniroll

• Agreed, but winning the match isn’t exactly as important as winning your duels. It’s just an arbitrary cutoff until the next map cycles, unlike completing all the objectives in TO or slaughtering the other team in LTS. There’s no achievement there, just a milestone and a map change. It’s not a big deal.

• Notice: It’s not tournament mode, it’s duel mode.

When a player reaches 10 wins, the map cycles. Where’d you read that it was a ladder match-up system?

• I´ll have to admit that I belong to those guys that can go 10:0 or 10:2 easily. I´m not really digging the fact that I go up against less skilled opponents although I do enjoy it still and I always try to bring some creativity (new combos, ducks etc.).

On the other hand I´m actually glad that I can fight newcomers. In Chivalry there is a lot to work on:

Blocking
    Distinguishing feints
    Footwork
    Stab precision
    Overhead precision
    Ducks

Now, I know my footwork is really good and my blocking sucks!! So what I do when fighting less skilled players is play heavy defense. I let them attack me, I don´t really counter them that much because I need to get better at blocking and distinguishing feints desperately :-). If I engaged them the way I do against 30+ rank players they would die in 2-6 seconds :D.

To sum it up, I don´t want the duel mode to be changed for it is perfect for practicing dueling skills. I know that a lot of people bitch about small enclosed spaces (mostly vanguards btw.) but the environment does play a big role. If you cannot use your halberd or bardiche in enclosed areas, deal with it somehow!

• @funthomass:

If you cannot use your halberd or bardiche in enclosed areas, deal with it somehow!

/GASP :o

Are you suggesting they quit mashing the LMB and use one of the other two attacks for a change? How DARE you! :D

• @JHoersten2:

@funthomass:

If you cannot use your halberd or bardiche in enclosed areas, deal with it somehow!

/GASP :o

Are you suggesting they quit mashing the LMB and use one of the other two attacks for a change? How DARE you! :D

Blasphemis! :P But seriously, polearm users and all average big ass weapon users in general…learn the other attacks too ffs, thanks. Got me tk’ed at least 20 times today with your swings even when i’m in front of you and actually fighting the guy and you are behind me herping around.

• Its not that easy. Given that people have options to spectate, join at different times, and why wait around for the top two to finish their fights so they can fight each other.

A ladder system would slow everything down.

I am pretty impressed with the current system, it keeps the duels coming fast and is generally fair in a randomized manner.

It does give an idea to a true ladder system whereby duels will actually affect your overall ranking in the entire community. But thats a suggestion for another time.

• Does anyone know how the “winner” of a duel entire map is declared?

Yesterday a strange thing happened (first time that I saw it happening): I ended with a score of 10-1, and another player with a score of 10-4. To my knowledge, I should have been the one winning the game (same wins, less games lost), but instead the game declared him as the winner.

It bothered me because I waited a lot of time in pool, without actually playing/being matched with other people.

• @Galandil:

Does anyone know how the “winner” of a duel entire map is declared?

Yesterday a strange thing happened (first time that I saw it happening): I ended with a score of 10-1, and another player with a score of 10-4. To my knowledge, I should have been the one winning the game (same wins, less games lost), but instead the game declared him as the winner.

It bothered me because I waited a lot of time in pool, without actually playing/being matched with other people.

First to 10, regardless of k/d.

• @Anonymoose:

First to 10, regardless of k/d.

Ah ok, ty, didn’t know that. Kind of annoying when the game doesn’t match you to other players for a lot of time.

• We’re looking at adding some highly requested features for duel mode so that server operators can run duel servers with rules that better fit how they think the mode should be played - some of these improvements should be ready for the next patch, though some might have to wait a bit longer if they require a lot of code work, as our programmer is heavily bogged down right now until we hire some new ones.

• Tournament style duel mode.

Duel mode Fixed.

???

Win

(2 seconds of thought)

• Yeah, nobody would hang around for a Tournament style game mode….

You could play fast and quick and have a 2 out of 3 match end in a minute or less… then wait around for what?

10 minutes for everybody else and the tournament to finish?

See ya… I’m off to do something else. I want to play the game, not watch it.

That’s why I don’t play Counter-Strike or Red Orchestra 2’s Countdown Mode.

Or you have others just screwing around wasting everybody else’s time who are just stuck spectating, which already happens in Duel Mode when someone hit’s 10 wins… some other clowns will just start to screw around for the remaining time and most of everybody else is just sitting there doing nothing while the rest just leave the server.

People already don’t have the patience for that in the current Duel system, yet some here think players would have the patience to sit around for an entire Tournament style game mode, especially if they lost in the very first round???

I agree that the current system needs a few changes, but not this.

A few changes I wouldn’t mind seeing are:

• Allow for you to have recorded stats (like it is now) or not. That way, people who don’t want to have a good or bad win/loss shown to everybody on the planet don’t have to, yet can still enjoy the game without worrying about having fun while causing an affect to some stats. Players wouldn’t be so inclined to play just to win win win… and then could go back to playing like they used to in the old FFA Duels.

• Rather than having a first to 10 wins game mode, why not have one that works like FFA or TDM where you play for a set amount of time and people can just view a kill/death ratio instead? Have the same maps and the same random player setup for matches, even have it set for a 2 out of 3 match round, etc… but show kill / deaths rather than just Win/Loss.

• Add Pings into the Menu

• Add Vote Kick into the Menu

• Allow Throwing Weapons into Duel Mode (or as a Server Option) - If you can have Archers with Bows, Crossbows and Javelins, why not Throwing Knives / Axes?? I never use them, but never had an issue with them being in a Duel before on FFA matches. They’re weapons like any other and all part of one’s tactics, just like using a shield or not.

Other than that, the mode is almost perfect in my books. Maybe add a couple of more maps that are more open for those looking for those kind of Duelling Environments, but that’s about it. The problem with more open maps is that you have Archers gaining a much better advantage against other classes, but oh well.

• @Cpt-Praxius:

Yeah, nobody would hang around for a Tournament style game mode….

snipped

Pretty much agree with all of this except the problem with the short range throwing is that it would make MMA’s rule the duels due to firepot taking off 1/3 of a knights health and hardly ever misses.

• @gregcau:

Pretty much agree with all of this except the problem with the short range throwing is that it would make MMA’s rule the duels due to firepot taking off 1/3 of a knights health and hardly ever misses.

True, however the fire pot doesn’t stun you in anyway and can quickly smash the MAA down in a couple of hits before he’s ready with his weapon due to the smaller fighting areas in Duel…. or strafe towards a wall or pillar for the fire pot to hit. (There’s a lot of crap in the maps one can use to their advantage)

Most of the time I can easily dodge fire pots or fake them out in a throw in the wrong direction (or jump over the impact area in time)… I think around 80% of the time I play I dodge the fire pot… but I do see your point.

• I’m pretty sure they have the competence to add in throwing weapons and leave out the fire pot if such was an issue. I’d like to see the axe/knife back in as well.