Don't overhaul the votekick system, it works as intended!

• If you are playing properly and carefully you should not be votekicked, but if you play in careless or antisocial ways (teamkilling deliberately and various other ways of griefing or being a hinderance to your team) you should be kick right? NO! You should be kicked according to what the majority want, regardless of how you are playing

The is just no point complaining about how the votekick system works. For instance, yesterday I was in a team deathmatch server and was leading the team with a KD of 18-4. Someone who had been throwing votekicks around randomly accused me of “repeatadly teamkilling” and called a vote, even though I hadn’t TKd anyone. It showed 0% team damage but I was kicked with 70% of the vote anyway. That’s what the people wanted, for whatever reason, so I accepted that even though there was no understandable reason for me to get voted out, I was no longer welcome on that game.

Later on I was on team objective and had someone teamkilling the archers on our team. 2 votekicks were called against him but they both failed and he carried on teamkilling. I just left the server, why would I want to stay in a game where they want to keep a teamkiller?

Peoples actions are not always expainable but the votekick system is there to remove players who most of the other players consider undesireable. What most other players consider undesirable has no set rules or boundries. So deal with it.

• @Ready:

If you are playing properly and carefully you should not be votekicked, but if you play in careless or antisocial ways (teamkilling deliberately and various other ways of griefing or being a hinderance to your team) you should be kick right? NO! You should be kicked according to what the majority want, regardless of how you are playing

Although I agree the votekick system is now working, no, the majority can be composed of complete morons who have no idea what they’re voting for.
    Also having a good kd doesn’t mean you’re good, i’ve seen plenty people with high kd getting them only by getting involved in fights they didn’t belong where the enemy was already badly injured and hitting allies in the process.

But bottomline, yes. The votekick works much better now.

• Vote kick doesn’t work as intended and is for lazy server admins and game developers who fail to admin their servers or devs who fail to develop auto high ping kickers and anti TK kick system. We are actually thinking on turning off the vote kick on our servers because of how it is abused but ignorant noobs. That and we try and have clan members play on our servers as much as possible as they all have admin. I have already turned on, “Only team members” can initiate kicks which helps eliminate the greifers and whining losers from the other team kicking skilled players.

We also kick those who stupidly start vote kicks without good reasons. The problem I have is that there is no way for an admin to stop a vote kick that I am aware of. If there is a vote kick against a clan member, all they have to do is log into admin and they cannot be kicked. But what a pain in the ass. With AOC and the HL2 engine, I could add steam IDs to an admin list that not only told the server who an admin was but they didn’t have to log in every map and they could not be kicked, banned or punished unless it was by a higher level admin. Point being that administration of this game sucks across the board. But Vote kicking is even worse, forcing no server player loyalty, no need for a server to be properly admined, kicks highly skilled players for no reason by low skilled noobs, allows friends to gang up on players and vote kick them out, and allows players with enough friends to take over a server by vote kicking out anyone they dislike.

So not a fan of the votekick system. If they actually get the high ping kicker to work properly and come up with some type of anti TK then the Vote kick is definitely coming off our servers.

• @Retsnom:

The problem I have is that there is no way for an admin to stop a vote kick that I am aware of.

Admincancelvote or something similar in the console. Type AdminCancel and you’ll see it. Cancels any ongoing votekick. :)

If I’m playing on an Official server and see someone initiate a votekick with no clear reason, I make sure it is immediately cancelled, the person who initiated it is told to state a reason, and any abuse of votekicks will result in the initiator being kicked, usually works.

You have to log into admin first though of course to use that command, seems to forget you’re admin between maps sometimes too, but if you press “Up” in the console, it will quickly flick to the last command, so you can knock those two out pretty quick.

• well that is good to know, I will test it…

• The main issue is that the other team is included in the vote. So if you are TKing and the other team is losing they will not kick you (most of the time).

• @gregcau:

The main issue is that the other team is included in the vote. So if you are TKing and the other team is losing they will not kick you (most of the time).

Yea, about that:

bOnlyTeammatesCanVoteKick=true
    bOnlyTeammatesAbstainsCountAgainstMinimum=false

It would seem your “main issue” is moot.

@Retsnom:

Vote kick doesn’t work as intended and is for lazy server admins and game developers who fail to admin their servers

Yes, it does work as intended. Players can call up a votekick, vote, and the resulting action is performed if need be. Right there - working, as indended.

Lazy server admins? Should they be on around the clock, watching and waiting for mayhem to strike? Get real. No one’s going to hold the community’s hand and ensure they have a pleasurable experience with others 24/7. “Players” are the worst aspect of any online game - in masses, they’re immature, obscene, and unintelligent. If they choose not to use the votekick system correctly, that’s on them. However, it doesn’t mean that the system is broken, only the people using it.

It’s basic logic and reasoning.

• First off you are assuming that server admins actually pay attention to server settings like the vote kick as most leave it at default settings. The default settings in most cases suck. Like TK damage being .5, if set to 1.0 would make players more careful of spamming around their teammates. The same is true with the vote kick. Very few change the setting to those settings let alone change the percentage of the vote requiring more than 60% of the vote.

IF the intent was to keep it stupid, then they succeeded.

• @JHoersten2:

@gregcau:

The main issue is that the other team is included in the vote. So if you are TKing and the other team is losing they will not kick you (most of the time).

Yea, about that:

Well gees.

Mods why arent the official servers set to that.

I can understand it wouldnt handle trolls as well but it would be an improvement.

• @gregcau:

@JHoersten2:

@gregcau:

Yea, about that:

Well gees.

I can understand it wouldnt handle trolls as well but it would be an improvement.

You just call a mod to get rid of trolls.

• @gregcau:

Well gees.

I don’t believe we have access to the server configs and so on, unless you can set those from the in-game console?

As far as I know, we’ve left the setting up of the official servers to Torn Banner, we just boot / ban where necessary. (Haven’t had to ban anyone myself yet, 3 kicks so far since the game came out).

I admit I caved and fiddled with the game speed a tad last night though, we had quite a blast with a 200% speed FFA map. With occasional bursts of “300 Mode” slow mo XD (Setting it back to normal afterwards of course).

Pretty sure it’s up to Torn Banner what they want the default settings to be for Official Servers though. I don’t agree on full team damage on Officials, as they should always be accepting to new players who may hit people accidentally, and hopefully not get raged at for accidental TK’ing due to the half damage. I occasionally hit people by accident and am most grateful for not doing full damage to them.

• One small issue with the vote kick system I found yesterday is with the “Team Damage” notification….

Yesterday I was playing a TO match and defending to ensure nobody got the to Prye (or however you spell it) to light it.

The match just started so I didn’t engage any enemies yet, but some idiot archer on my team kicked me off the edge, causing fall damage, etc… I got back up to where I was and he slugged me again (though I didn’t fall) so I shield bashed him back just to get the point across… very little team damage of course.

Then that twit started a vote kick on me where it noted my “Team Damage” was 100%.

Really?

So of course I got vote kicked… that idiot caused more damage than I did in regards to team damage by kicking me twice and the land impact damage from the fall from the first kick… so that Team Damage indicator needs a bit of a tweak when it comes to kicks / shield bashes.

Or of course, I could just use it to my advantage in those situations by immediately calling a vote kick on players like him, where his Team Damage would be 100% due to kicking me, while not engaging any enemies yet.

This issue creates a situation where voters still don’t know what actually was going on… all they see is Team Damage = 100% even though it was only a 5hp shield bash… ONCE.

Anyways, that’s my rant, carry on.

• @Retsnom:

First off you are assuming that server admins actually pay attention to server settings like the vote kick as most leave it at default settings. The default settings in most cases suck. Like TK damage being .5, if set to 1.0 would make players more careful of spamming around their teammates. The same is true with the vote kick. Very few change the setting to those settings let alone change the percentage of the vote requiring more than 60% of the vote.

IF the intent was to keep it stupid, then they succeeded.

@Retsnom:

Vote kick doesn’t work as intended

How people administer their servers does not legitimize the working condition of the votekick parameters. The system is there, and it does work - plain and simple. If admins choose not to apply it appropriately, then they fail at administering their server. The votekick feature remains working as intended though.

You’re also basing the working conditions upon the actions of the players themselves. The default TK damage settings don’t suck - the players who hit other players suck. It’s not the server’s job to train and teach players not to hit their teammates, but the individual players job to be cautious and aware of what’s going on around them.

Too many get confused with where responsibility lies. The game isn’t to be held accountable for poor player actions or relations. It’s binary code that does its job as intended. How it’s abused by humans is not.

• @JHoersten2:

How people administer their servers does not legitimize the working condition of the votekick parameters. The system is there, and it does work - plain and simple. If admins choose not to apply it appropriately, then they fail at administering their server. The votekick feature remains working as intended though.

You’re also basing the working conditions upon the actions of the players themselves. The default TK damage settings don’t suck - the players who hit other players suck. It’s not the server’s job to train and teach players not to hit their teammates, but the individual players job to be cautious and aware of what’s going on around them.

Too many get confused with where responsibility lies. The game isn’t to be held accountable for poor player actions or relations. It’s binary code that does its job as intended. How it’s abused by humans is not.

Agreed… The system does work… it pops up, people vote, the system will either kick someone off the server or not based on the votes applied.

And having servers with admins who are never around or don’t give a crap about what goes on in their server is the problem. If more Admins were actually around to monitor their server, vote kicks wouldn’t be needed. Most other games and their servers have multiple people watching over their server almost round the clock… yet here with this game, I think I came across one server with an Admin on it.

I also like the idea of Auto-Kicks based on a certain level of Team Kills, however that only covers that specific justification for being kicked.

• Or of course, I could just use it to my advantage in those situations by immediately calling a vote kick on players like him, where his Team Damage would be 100% due to kicking me, while not engaging any enemies yet.

This issue creates a situation where voters still don’t know what actually was going on… all they see is Team Damage = 100% even though it was only a 5hp shield bash… ONCE.

This isn’t much of a problem when you start dealing damage to enemies. The way to deal with this issue is by either ignoring such players (which isn’t always optional solution) or vote kicking them yourself after you see they try to do something potentially team-damaging, as you yourself have said. I must say I like Team Damage and Idle Status being shown; it really helps to decide what to do and the vote kicking seems to have improved because people have more data to relay on.

If you are playing properly and carefully you should not be votekicked, but if you play in careless or antisocial ways (teamkilling deliberately and various other ways of griefing or being a hinderance to your team) you should be kick right? NO! You should be kicked according to what the majority want, regardless of how you are playing

That’s your opinion and I - for one - completely disagree with you. Vote kicking is made to prevent certain people from destroying everyone else’s experience while playing the game/ match. Teamkilling (either deliberate or plain stupid) is just one example of such behavior and it’s needed when there are no administrators around to deal with troublemakers.

• But there are those who votekick others just to be a dick. The trolls.

• But there are those who votekick others just to be a dick. The trolls.

So what? That’s why you have tools (mentioned above) to judge if you should kick someone or not. Vote kicking system helps players more than it hurts them, at least in the current status. It’d be much worse to not be able to vote kick trolls rather than leave them be.

• If you are playing properly and carefully you should not be votekicked

Thats just the problem with it, you get kicked even if you dont do anything. I do really well when i play, but i focus on the game not the scoreboard but their are people who hawk eye the scoreboard any chance given. Those people, when they die to people like me and see a score they cant achieve will just throw a vote kick up and see if it works or if you are dominating a clan or just the entire other team they will kick simply because they dont want to lose.

9/10 you will be kicked out of a match if a random vote comes up with any “tking” “troll” “annoying” “hacker” next to it. Doesnt matter if its 1000000000% fake the majority of the people are going to click yes. especially if theres alot of votes chaining and the majority will automatically assume like you and think well theres gotta be a reason hes being kicked so…votes yes…thats a problem.

• Meh, it’s just stupid to get kicked for no reason.

I have seen some of my favourite youtubers blindly vote yes and kick good players out of the match

• Well on the Kila Thunderdome servers, specially Thunderdome 2 |Chicago| we try and keep admins on and available as much as possible. If we get good regular players, I occasionally grant admin if they play at different hours than the rest of us, once they have proven themselves.

I also have no problem kicking those that start votekicks without warrant and if you try and kick a Kila member you are pretty much banned at that point.

I will say though that the default settings are horrible and should have been reconsidered in the last patch to help those lazy server operators and lazy admins. Of course the devs could make and or fix the admin controls with an external program, porting it to HLSW, which I have already suggested way back in several other threads, and allow rcon access allowing server changes without having to restart the game. But hey, that is just me……