Hatchet damage too high

• martin’s spreadsheet

The hatchet’s damage doesn’t reflect the percentages shown ingame. I know they’re vague, but in this particular case it’s off by a lot. The hatchet should deal ~20% less damage than the dane axe, but it actually has more powerful swings and stabs and the overhead is less than 10% weaker.

I’d rather we leave the percentages alone, though. Let’s reduce the actual damage instead, it’s far too high for a weapon that’s faster than daggers.

Reduce the damage on swing by 10, 5 on overhead and stab. That puts it close to the 41% displayed ingame and it becomes a less exploitable weapon for MAAs which are un less affected by the poor range. Thoughts?

• @Torrenz:

martin’s spreadsheet

Reduce the damage on swing by 10, 5 on overhead and stab. That puts it close to the 41% displayed ingame and it becomes a less exploitable weapon for MAAs which are unaffected by the poor range. Thoughts?

I can’t agree with this at all. I say nuts to the percentages; the actual numbers are the only thing that counts. The percentages only exist as an approximate guideline for new players to familiarize themselves with the weapons. They do not dictate balance.

I don’t agree that MaA are unaffected by the poor range, either. Sure, they’re more able to get in range, but that doesn’t stop it from being a penalty.

The Dane Axe is the only 1h axe I see any potential balance problem with, because of its ubiquity in competitive play. I’d be on board with a very slight nerf to that (it’s optimal because range on MaA is more powerful than range on any other class).

The Hatchet’s range is poor. It needs other things to make up for that. It has those things; taking them away would leave it as an utterly useless weapon.

Oh, and about the Dagger comparison: not too terribly valid, since (it seems) Light Weapons and Daggers are supposed to be less powerful than primaries. Hence why the Saber is roundly inferior to the Broadsword.

• hatchet damage is fine, it is one of the shortest primaries in the game

• @NikolaiLev:

I can’t agree with this at all. I say nuts to the percentages; the actual numbers are the only thing that counts. The percentages only exist as an approximate guideline for new players to familiarize themselves with the weapons. They do not dictate balance.

I still think it’s important they reflect the actual damage as accurately as possible. Right now the label is misleading, it should be 50% if the damage isn’t getting changed.

@NikolaiLev:

The Hatchet’s range is poor. It needs other things to make up for that. It has those things; taking them away would leave it as an utterly useless weapon.

This is tricky. I feel the Hatchet is overpowered in the hands of a MAA right now, but nerfing it would indeed make it much less useful for vanguards.

@NikolaiLev:

Oh, and about the Dagger comparison: not too terribly valid, since (it seems) Light Weapons and Daggers are supposed to be less powerful than primaries. Hence why the Saber is roundly inferior to the Broadsword.

I didn’t mean that to come off as a side-by-side comparison, just something to help put the speed into perspective. 0.3 is as fast as windups get, no other weapon has that on a slash except for the hunting knife, which, being a dagger, is indeed weak and even shorter. 0.3 stabs are more common, but those are modestly damaging and easily blockable because of their frontal nature, whereas a MAA with a hatchet has the unique ability to hit past the sides of a parry faster than most players (read: me) can react. I could deal with that if it were more of a chip damage kind of weapon you can get easy hits with like the daggers, but it hits pretty damn hard and I feel like it shouldn’t.

The Hatchet is strongly specialized, one big strength and one big weakness. The weakness just happens to be mildly negligible to one of the classes with access to it. Am I the only one seeing it as a problem with MAAs? Maybe it’ll become more prominent if the dane axe gets nerfed.

• @Torrenz:

The Hatchet is strongly specialized, one big strength and one big weakness. The weakness just happens to be mildly negligible to one of the classes with access to it. Am I the only one seeing it as a problem with MAAs? Maybe it’ll become more prominent if the dane axe gets nerfed.

Sadly, this has some credence to it. It’s not really overpowered right now, but is this just because the Dane Axe is Even Better?

I feel this would be helped if damage types were more important. I’m going to finally go make that thread, now. See you in a bit. :P