Business Model/ The Free Weekend

• Hello again all,

So I’ve been thinking about chivalry as a game and how I got into etc. and thing I really think is that it needs more players.

Now, getting someone to just drop 25 dollars on another multiplayer only game can be a tough sell. Even if people watch videos, they can’t really get a feel for the satsifying visceral nature of the gameplay. I know that I didn;t feel like buying this game until the free-weekend, even though I’d seen videops of it.

My point is that this game needs something to draw in the new people. So I was thinking, what if every other weekend was a free weekend? It would skip a week so people woulndt just play on weekends an be satisfied, and you couold also reset their unlock progress every new free weekend.

I klnow how people generally feel about free weekends, but I also know how people geel when their favorite online game starts to slow down.

What do you think?

• Frankly, that’s quite too often.

The game has been on sale numerous times, as well as have had a free weekend. Most people who wanted this game have probably bought it, many of which may have set down for awhile. Not everyone wants to swing swords around day after day like you and I.

A free weekend every now and then is fine, but twice a month? No thanks - that’d be whoring the game out!

• Yeah every other weekend would be far too much. Where’s the actual incentive to buy it there? You’d just wait till the next free weekend to have a blast then instead heh.

I think they’ll draw in more players with patches, news, content releases and so on. Adding new maps or even cosmetic DLC (nothing stupidly overboard like Hat Fortress), would keep the game popping up in the Steam News and drawing people in.

• Even if we wanted to, we couldn’t make the game free every other weekend - it’s entirely Valve’s call when and what will be free for which weekend.

• @LuckyThirteen:

Hello again all,

So I’ve been thinking about chivalry as a game and how I got into etc. and thing I really think is that it needs more players.

How many more players? There are 5,000 playing right this second.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer has 8,000 right now.

Do you think you would notice the increase?

If and when they fix the server browser we might be able to join games that reflect the number of players on it. So many times its 24/24 or 32/32 and then you find its 20% to 60% of the stated number.

• Some of my buddies just bought a copy (after months of me trying to convince them) and as far as I can tell they are enjoying it a lot. A few frustrations regarding being hit through blocks/parries and 1h weapon ranges seeming to be longer than 2h at times, but overall we’ve had great fun this weekend.

I think it is difficult to convince people who are on the fence about it to part with the full retail price for this game. This isn’t by any means the sort of multiplayer game I myself would typically buy and I suspect there are a lot of people like that. I took the chance and paid full price, and it turns out the game is an absolute blast! You can have a laugh with this game even in the face of defeat. :D

• This game has horrible player retention.

• @MUSASHI:

This game has horrible player retention.

For me this game is more of a “Pick up and play when I feel like it” game.

With something like Deus Ex HR which is what I’m playing now, I’ll want to continue playing that quite repetitvely until I’ve completed it, same with any other story based game I play, until I come back to it.

With Chiv, I pick it up and have a blast whenever I feel like chopping some heads, then put it down again and play something else.

I feel the uniqueness of Chiv will have people coming back to do that same thing for a long long time to come. It’s not exactly a game that’s easily supplanted. How many people are still playing CoD 1? And games like that, which are immediately surpassed by the newer version of such games.

• Playing COD for the 9th year now. Just feel like saying…

Too often free weekends would be too much IMO. But regular Chiv’s price is too high aswell. Fix netcode and game is worth 25 bucks.

• I never have problems finding a game with 32\32 players. 5am, 5pm don’t matter plenty of players.

• @treetops422:

I never have problems finding a game with 32\32 players. 5am, 5pm don’t matter plenty of players.

It says 32/32 but it never is when you join…

Edit and if it was you couldn’t join lol