Gameranger/Gamespy support

• Gameranger and Gamespy both allow you to use their server to host whatever game they have the permission to support.
    This means that you don’t have to set up a server yourself, you can directly host a game on those 2 platform and wait for people to join.

Except if you guys plan to give us a battle.net like system, server hosting will be limited to the minority of people that can set up servers themselves (people who got an extremely high internet connection + an extra PC).

Allow for smooth ‘‘plug and play’’ hosting experience. It’s the key to a successful multiplayer community :)

• Or if you are really interested you could just rent a server at a minimal cost from the various providers which will support the game once it’s released. I plan on doing this if I get a good group of my friend interested in playing with me.

• @Infamous:

Or if you are really interested you could just rent a server at a minimal cost from the various providers which will support the game once it’s released. I plan on doing this if I get a good group of my friend interested in playing with me.

This solution won’t make server hosting mainstream. Not a lot of people are willing to pay even more for a dedicated server that might not even work properly or attract enough people.
    I’m not willing to invest more than 75$ (what I backed) in a single game, and I believe i’m not the only one.

• I can see what you are saying, but I really don’t see this being an issue. The developers have confirmed the ability to host a listen server which, while limited to the bandwidth capabilities of the host, will fill some of the void for people wanting to host a server for a couple of friends. Countless games use this model and thrive with great supportive communities.

Also, since the game is built with Steamworks integration and will require Steam to run, I think this eliminates the possibility for Gamespy support.

• @Infamous:

Also, since the game is built with Steamworks integration and will require Steam to run, I think this eliminates the possibility for Gamespy support.

You are right. Thanks for the info :)

• @Infamous:

I can see what you are saying, but I really don’t see this being an issue. The developers have confirmed the ability to host a listen server which, while limited to the bandwidth capabilities of the host, will fill some of the void for people wanting to host a server for a couple of friends. Countless games use this model and thrive with great supportive communities.

Just want to clarify that we have not confirmed the ability to host listen servers. You will be able to host your own dedicated server since we will be providing that tool for free, though.

• @b3h47pte:

Just want to clarify that we have not confirmed the ability to host listen servers. You will be able to host your own dedicated server since we will be providing that tool for free, though.

Ahh, my mistake. I assumed from the Q&A video referencing Counter Strike that there would be listen servers. This is what I get for making assumptions!