Custom skins for FFA and dueling

• I have been enjoying the game thoroughly since its release, but since I saw the random, individual skins that are randomly assigned in FFA and duel mode, an idea got stuck in my head which I think many others have had too, namely custom skins.

Not for the entire player model, but simply the garments that are draped over or stick out from the armor, as well as shields. Anywhere that would usually have the team icons or where you might find some coat of arms or insignia, like the mason vanguard’s arm guards, with the cross on them.

I am not necessarily talking about some menu where you can select colors and premade symbols and patterns, but there being some editor or file converter (as well as a guide of some sort, where the edited files would go, etc.) so that you could really design your own armor cozy, put a personal coat of arms of some sort on your shield, etc. I am thinking something along the lines of minecraft here.

I think the technical side seems simple enough, essentially letting people edit some specific texture files and having it show up in certain game modes, but there are some initial objections I’d like to address.

1. People could use this to make themselves visually offensive.

True, but I do not think it is much different than someone being offensive through action, like TKing. If a player is running around decked in fascist symbols and genitalia and this bothers the other players, they can be votekicked and banned.

2. People aren’t restricted to using fitting themes and thus would look out of place, ruining the atmosphere

This would be for FFA and dueling. The scenario where a bunch of medieval warriors are dumped into an arena to slaughter eachother is already unrealistic, this is not an exact simulator after all. But optionality is key here, servers should be able to disable custom skins if they prefer the feel of the randomly assigned premade ones. Thus, players who are bothered by knights running around with the playboy bunny on their shields can go to these servers and everyone is happy. It should be noted though that people who play chivalry are probably medieval enthusiasts of some degree and thus would choose medieval themes in most cases.

3. Most players are not digital artists and probably have not befriended one either, leading to only a few being able to enjoy customization.

You could or should have some ingame settings like helmet customization where you can change colors, patterns and symbols around so everyone can customize to a degree. The intention of this is basically just to leave the door open to those who can or would like to try designing (or getting someone to design) parts of their own player skin, by releasing a file converter or something and facilitating it in multiplayer.

• This will probably be added eventually. Custom colors/designs was one of the kickstarter unlocks and they had a crappy version of it in the Chiv alpha, but they took it out so they could make it work properly. I’m sure the next big content patch will include stuff like more helmets, custom colors ect.

• @Oy:

This will probably be added eventually. Custom colors/designs was one of the kickstarter unlocks and they had a crappy version of it in the Chiv alpha, but they took it out so they could make it work properly. I’m sure the next big content patch will include stuff like more helmets, custom colors ect.

I did not know that, but it makes me more optimistic they will add it in the future. Still what I’m suggesting is being able to apply self-made textures, a bit like in minecraft, not just pre-made settings. Not to sound ungrateful if they did add that, at all. I just think the potential for players to create some really cool personal designs or coats of arms and feel proud of their virtual head-chopper is enormous, individual identity does a lot to the feeling of a game, after all.

• Yeah, I’d turn myself from Agatha to Templar.