MOTD, Rcon, Servermessage ETA

• Hi Torn Banner team,

We love your game, but you absolutely need to support your server admins - and soon.

Servers need some MOTD or Servermessage support, peroid. The last update was great, but you missed a critical feature that will enable server admins to continue hosting servers for your game. Without servermessages, MOTD, or the ability to rCon /say, you will likely begin losing server support sooner than this game deserves.

Please give us an ETA. This is extremely important guys. We don’t need to wait for another huge update to the game, take a programmer and update the game in 1-2 days to add MOTD or Servermessages. I understand that full Rcon is a big feature, so throw us a bone with this simple request for MOTD or Servermessages.

Looking foward to a response.

• An extremely important addition? Probably not. Servers are and have been getting by fine without it.
    Would it be nice to have? Absolutely.

The programmers are bogged down as it is due to being so few in number that they have a laundry list of tasks to complete. MOTD and Server messages are not vital or in high priority.

At this point, I’d settle on being able to read chat in the UDKLogging.exe window so that I can know what’s going on at a glance without having to be joined to the game myself.

• We WILL be getting some better server admin support, however there is no ETA on this. And there are two programmers right now, and they are doing all they can at the moment. These things are on the list and will get done, but no time can be given on when. Just have to be patient. One step at a time. Hotfix is coming out first to fix many needed things.

• MOTD, servermessage etc arent vital but RCON yes, We have a server and when it’s full we cant join until one leave or reset server ^^

• I would argue that they are pretty vital.

We have run and are running server for many different games ATM, and while having a chivalry server up doesn’t hurt us, without messages/MOTD/Rcon, it doesn’t help us either. We have little/no incentive to put our effort into our server if we expect to see little returns for our effort.

Are these features necessary for us to keep our servers up: no
    Are these features necessary for us to care about filling our servers: yes

When people don’t care about filling servers, they die. When servers die the playerbase for a game diminishes. When the playerbase for a game diminishes, more servers die. Game dies.

Support your server operators and they will in turn support you.

• @Dyson:

I would argue that they are pretty vital.

Are these features necessary for us to keep our servers up: no

Contradiction.

Filling your servers is a luxury for it’s existence, not mandatory. Players are playing regardless of your server. Their interest is to play the game, not to fill up YOUR server. As long as there are servers available (which there are already too many), then the game will flourish.

Supply & Demand - too much supply of servers than to meet the demand. That’s why your server is empty.

• You missed the point. My server sits empty just about as much as it sits full.

Regardless, It might as well be empty 100% of the time because I have no advertisements or incentives to entice players to return and support our clan.

To them, It’s another server to play on, to me it’s another avenue to recruit from. Yes I enjoy the game, yes I will keep a server up regardless of these features, but at the moment my time is better spent working on and supporting games that will actually help support my clan.

• It is very important, u think admins want to constantly type their rules or spend all their time in their server typing stuff that auto messages could be doing or have to be spawned to type,NO! we do not.
    This really is and should be a huge priority, with out gd regulated servers ppl get a bad impression of a game because the servers turn to chaos with no way to inform ppl of the rules or special game types, such as motd’s and so on, heck we cant even edit the spawn time or round time yet wich should have been changeable with the games release!!!

• @WARSAW:

It is very important, u think admins want to constantly type their rules or spend all their time in their server typing stuff that auto messages could be doing or have to be spawned to type,NO! we do not.
    This really is and should be a huge priority, with out gd regulated servers ppl get a bad impression of a game because the servers turn to chaos with no way to inform ppl of the rules or special game types, such as motd’s and so on, heck we cant even edit the spawn time or round time yet wich should have been changeable with the games release!!!

You miss the correlation between “personal importance” and “vital”. Is it vital to the game that you can’t have your rules spammed? No, it is not. It is not ‘vital’ in the least - your server is quite capable of running without it just fine.

Huge priorities are issues such as: Fixing exploits, fixing bugs, solving server browser issues, fixing connection issues, memory leaks, etc. Not helping you explain your rules to players who join your instance. You need to open your eyes to the big picture instead of being concerned with your little corner of the game.

TL;DR - Your personal convenience doesn’t equate to “Huge, vital issue”. Get over it.

• Since ppl who own servers is what keeps the game alive, not giving them what they want is a bad way to treat ur life blood, ie: if all admins just got fed up with the bs we have to deal with trying to run a server due to the lack of stuff we need then there wouldnt be anywhere to play, so yeah it is vital.

• @WARSAW:

god i wish they would ban u already!
    Since ppl who own servers is what keeps the game alive, not giving them what they want is a bad way to treat ur life blood, ie: if all admins just got fed up with the bs we have to deal with trying to run a server due to the lack of stuff we need then there wouldnt be anywhere to play, so yeah it is vital.

Please drop the ignorance and attitude - it’s uncalled for and flooding this board with crap. You’ve done nothing but post poor grammar/spelling in your attempts to hijack threads into what you believe they should be about. Selfishness and greed drives your goals, and it’s really quite annoying to read it over and over again on multiple threads.

I run a server and am aware of the current situation. Whereas you are small-minded and only have a view of your personal problems & potential gain, I can see the larger picture of the game as a whole and how it concerns my server individually. I’m probably digging too deep here, as I’m sure you don’t understand half the words I’m using to begin with.

There is an abundance of servers out there at the moment. There will always be players who will run a server, regardless of your complaints on the lack of server tools - not to mention additional servers TB would host if it ever came to that point. Thus, your main points are moot and hold no ground for any argument you wish to express.

Again, additional server tools would be nice, but aren’t vital. Until you can provide even a resemblance of a logical argument to counter anything I’ve said, I’ll consider the discussion closed and you better educated. The world doesn’t revolve around you and your immediate problems, and being schooled by another member doesn’t earn them a ban. All your problems simply won’t disappear in life - you need to realize that and better educate yourself in the future. Please read a book.

• Hello, I have been running gaming communities and clans for a few years not only as a leader but as a developer. I currently own a Chivalry Server and request the same features. I say this because my server feels empty. It does not feel like anything special or attractive to have a player base, by this I mean its a generic server running the same maps as everyone else with nothing special other than a name. Chivalry really needs to add these features because this helps not only players understand what is going on but it allows active daily players. I myself can’t just come on 24/7 and spam chat with the rules and “join our clan!” An motd would allow players to see the communities site (if html is allowed like many motds) and have a grasp on rules so admins don’t have to be explaining to every new member whats going on. Not only that but I think right now its impossible to get any loyal members in Chivalry due to the lack of individuality in the servers since everything is vanilla and bland. So why would people care about my server if its just the same &@#$ as everything else. I wanted to get this server for my community to have some fun but also gain new members b/c to be honest this game is awesome and has loads of players. But Torn Banner you give us servers a lack of options to make this possible, how may I recruit members or even get potential donators when there is no perks to being on my server? It gets tot he point where I just loose hope in this server all together because my server gets full once ever few days and when I get on there is no player community at all. No communication, nothing special except 16 quiet guys charging at each other with swords. There is nothing fun and it seems like I’m really just playing against bots who talk more than what the players say. I feel like with motd and server messages I can advertise the community and rules which could help make this server something positive to the clan/community. So then active members show up and the server will be full which could keep it alive. Also torn banner you should really look into other games and how their server operating is like. I also host a Counter Strike Source server which always gets activity and this could be due to the fact players are interested with the features we have. I run custom plugins which enhance gameplay and allow something unique to the server which makes my community stand out. I’m not trying to sound selfish but it gets to the point where I own an empty server which nobody cares about and nobody listens to me on the server, I can’t even easily restart the server with console or even the map! How can I have a working server where certain maps just kick everyone out and I can’t even fix the problem… Please tornbanner read this and try to see what a gaming community wants also if the grammar is bad I apologize, I’m tired but had the need to make this post before I stop hosting my empty server…

• i totaly aggree with u creamcheese, and its too bad that TB lets trolls like JHoersten2 run their mouth constantly on every1s post , he has to come on the forums and troll ppl to feel better, and spouting off when no gives a flying hoot about what he says.
    and yeah u shoulda been banned months ago, i dont know how u r even still here,no one likes what u have to say with ur negativity acting like u know it all and ur opinion is what matters.

• @WARSAW:

i totaly aggree with u creamcheese, and its too bad that TB lets trolls like JHoersten2 run their mouth constantly on every1s post , he has to come on the forums and troll ppl to feel better, and spouting off when no gives a flying hoot about what he says.
    and yeah u shoulda been banned months ago, i dont know how u r even still here,no one likes what u have to say with ur negativity acting like u know it all and ur opinion is what matters.

You’ve used “troll” to excuse any form of debate I’ve presented to you. “Troll” doesn’t earn you some “auto-win” or negate that you’re point-of-view is flawed. It’s what children use when they can’t express logical thought or reasoning - just cop-out answers. Please show some maturity and have a discussion rather than running away and hiding behind, “troll”. It’s pathetic.

The fact is that I’ve broken no rules and am entitled to my own opinions. How does that equal a ban? You feel like I “know it all”, because I’m actually educated and know a hell of a lot more than you do. Perhaps that’s why you’re so angry - you can’t stand that I’m smarter than you are. Not on the internet right? You’re the smartest and best looking around…. I present facts, and you dismiss them with childish insults, yet claim that I should be the one to leave. Haha! Wow.

Please continue to call more facts “trolling” and avoid all arguments that prove you wrong. You able to hide from the truth on the internet, it’s ok. I’ve tried to explain my point of view reasonably and calmly, but you’d rather resort to name calling and immaturity.

Who’s the real troll after all?

• Im sure many would agree that u r the biggest troll on the TB forums,all u do is go around trolling ppls coments, and then when they call u out on ur bs u act like ur smarter then them and continue ur bs and put them down, who gives a hoot how smart u are,yes this is the internet and its full of trolls like u,and as i stated b4 its a shame TB lets u continue to do so.

• @WARSAW:

Im sure many would agree that u r the biggest troll on the TB forums,all u do is go around trolling ppls coments, and then when they call u out on ur bs u act like ur smarter then them and continue ur bs and put them down, who gives a hoot how smart u are,yes this is the internet and its full of trolls like u,and as i stated b4 its a shame TB lets u continue to do so.

Not act, I AM smarter than you. This would be obvious, but you’re too dumb to see it.

You have no idea what a troll is (most likely due to my above statement). I’m not banned - deal with it with however many tears it takes you to cope. I don’t think I’ve met someone on these forums as mad as you. If I’m a troll, you’re easily ‘trollbait’.

I love how much you steam about my intellect. Please, continue.

• lol,im not mad,just sick and tired or arrogant trolls like u on the here. and u keep saying u are smart yet u act like a dumb a$$ everytime u post lol

• @WARSAW:

lol,im not mad,just sick and tired or arrogant trolls like u on the here. and u keep saying u are smart yet u act like a dumb a$$ everytime u post lol

Welcome to the internet - here’s a tip: Most of us are smarter than you are. Proofreading your post makes that quite obvious.

• apparently not cause sumhow u r still here! lol

• The MOTD and server messages are important to the server operators for one simple reason…… to keep the server up. what do i mean?> a message that can direct ppl to a site so they can donate to keep the server up.

Now i know these aren’t the most expensive servers but, there is a lot of time that you have to spend ad-mining a server.

If you don’t think that this is important then you either don’t run a server or you have a ton of free time and don’t care.