MOTD, Rcon, Servermessage ETA

• lol,im not mad,just sick and tired or arrogant trolls like u on the here. and u keep saying u are smart yet u act like a dumb a$$ everytime u post lol

• @WARSAW:

lol,im not mad,just sick and tired or arrogant trolls like u on the here. and u keep saying u are smart yet u act like a dumb a$$ everytime u post lol

Welcome to the internet - here’s a tip: Most of us are smarter than you are. Proofreading your post makes that quite obvious.

• apparently not cause sumhow u r still here! lol

• The MOTD and server messages are important to the server operators for one simple reason…… to keep the server up. what do i mean?> a message that can direct ppl to a site so they can donate to keep the server up.

Now i know these aren’t the most expensive servers but, there is a lot of time that you have to spend ad-mining a server.

If you don’t think that this is important then you either don’t run a server or you have a ton of free time and don’t care.

• @PorkchoP:

The MOTD and server messages are important to the server operators for one simple reason…… to keep the server up. what do i mean?> a message that can direct ppl to a site so they can donate to keep the server up.

Now i know these aren’t the most expensive servers but, there is a lot of time that you have to spend ad-mining a server.

If you don’t think that this is important then you either don’t run a server or you have a ton of free time and don’t care.

…and you’re defining important as needing motd/chat spam to direct donations in.

Wow. If you can’t afford to keep a server up without relying upon handouts from other players, you shouldn’t be running one.

• ^^^^^^Jho is troll^^^^^^^^^^

CONFIRMED MOTD ARE VERY IMPORTANT!!!

• @MerLiNz:

MOTD, servermessage etc arent vital but RCON yes, We have a server and when it’s full we cant join until one leave or reset server ^^

the answer is not rcon but reserved slots.

• @JHoersten2:

@PorkchoP:

The MOTD and server messages are important to the server operators for one simple reason…… to keep the server up. what do i mean?> a message that can direct ppl to a site so they can donate to keep the server up.

…and you’re defining important as needing motd/chat spam to direct donations in.

Wow. If you can’t afford to keep a server up without relying upon handouts from other players, you shouldn’t be running one.

haha you are a noob of a troll but, i will still explain it to you anyways. Altho im sure you will respond like a troll.
    Basically it boils down to the amount of time it takes to admin a server properly. Now im sure you flip burgers and make about 10$ a hour so you will have a hard time understanding that time is valuable…. you will understand it once you get older (maybe). I put up multi servers for the community and they are constantly full… Why are they full you ask, oh well my young friend its because of the amount of dedication and time i put into it.
    Now its obvious that you are new to PC gaming But, basically every game with dedicated servers that are run by community players have a place to donate and if you dont under stand why this is by now… well my friend i will direct you to here http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/1 … 21823.html

• @JHoersten2:

Hmmm… Massengil or Summer’s Eve???

I have taken my servers down, and have dropped support of the game and playing the game, until the developers can get their heads out of their asses, and add in key components to this game, that should have been there on day one. The fact these features are not yet implemented is inexcusable, and unacceptable. I did not give you my money as a loan for you to develop a game. I need/want full rcon support for this game. Full rcon support would mean detailed logs, remote access, admin say features, everything that a tool like Big Brother Bot would use to help administrate the server.

If you guys are incapable, or unable to do this, why not solicit the help of developers that know what they are doing, and have already done so. Homefront and Ravaged both run on the same engine, and both games have full rcon support and work flawlessly with B3, in administrating the servers. It is a damn shame I have never been able to accept players into our clan that want to help admin the servers, because i would have to give out the rcon password. Unacceptable.

New game modes, features, maps etc are all bullshit, and a non issue. The only thing you should really be working on is completing the game, and giving us a proper working product, BEFORE trying to do any kind of addons.

Torn Banner should be ashamed of themselves at this point in the game, for not having key features for a game we paid good money for, in earnest, believing in an indie company. Things like this are what make me shy away from indie companies. All the “there are only 2 of us” kind of lame excuses. Get with it guys!!! PLEASE!!!

• I have heard all of the arguments here.
    And I must agree that it is vital for our clan, in order to keep paying for a dedicated server,
    that we have tools to help our admins. At the moment, we have over 200 members. I have
    promoting the heck out of this game, and have everyone riled up about playing it.

Only to have them be disappointed in not being able to easily admin the server.

If all servers were to be identical, and all clan rules to be identical, then there would not be
    a need for our clan to host a server. As it would not be different than anyone elses, and then there
    would be no need to admin.

Our members are losing interest in a game/and server where the public can do as they wish,
    say as they wish, and treat our “paying members” as they wish.

I believe this is vital, to have good rcon or admin tools.

• thanks for backing me up guys, i couldnt agree with u more, im giving them a bit more time as i really wanna mod this game out some more, and my server is usualy full bcause of the massive amount of time i spend admining/ typing. but these these things def need to be adressed,plus im so sick of dying over and over again just to type and admin the server, that is ridicolous, let alone here we r 6 months into this and we still cant change the spawn time or round timer, i mean seriously that shoulda been standard issue stuff when the game was released u would think!!!

• I can agree on alot of parts with the current server admins but I can relay to jhoersten aswell in the fact the game has bigger issues. Still there should be no weightscale on which issues are more important. Why can’t the programmers release something all at once?
    I wouldn’t mind waiting an extra month for server admin options if only I would be able to read somewhere that it’s being worked on.
    For now it’s all just “it will come it will come, no estimated time”. But this doesn’t help.
    To be honest, the latest update with the expansion of maps wasn’t satisfactory(personally). For example, the Citadel map brings little extra and players are always asking why the hell it’s been made and why the hell I have it in my server rotation. I have taken it out and brought back an old school FFA in the Throne Room XXL and luckily i’ve found a mix in maps where it’s all team objective, capture the flag and one map with FFA. A good balance that attracts people during the day to log on to my server and keep a steady +35 logins all day, such as today.

I really can’t relate to anyone saying their server is hard to manage as it is and it’s hard to keep clans motivated…
    I myself I am running a 40slot server by myself without the help of advertisement, without the help of others running it, heck not even a clan. I don’t need a MOTD at this time, so hey, those are all irrelivant issues to your own personal problems my fellow server admins.
    I am proof that these options are nice to have, but they are not demanding to keep the game alive.
    Sure my server sometimes stays empty all day, sometimes days…but somehow it will pop up again and rise just like this game will.

What I do have to say is that to server admins it is vital to be able to log on his own server at any time. It’s unacceptable to not be able to log in to your own server which you actually pay for. And restarting a server is basically suicide cause players online react on the live capacity of the server and if they see it 0/32 or 0/40 like mine it will stay empty all day, days or weeks.
    But if an online player sees the server has room for him he will simply enter because the gamer likes an active server.
    So on this side I really think it’s vital for server admins to be able to login at any time, even if it means kicking just 1 player out, but 1 is always better then shutting down a whole server just to be able to get in.

Sorry for my lack in English since it is not my first language.

• There’s quite a bit of derailment going on, while the reasons vary the demand is the same. Just because you don’t think a reason is good enough doesn’t make it any less valid. Much like how because you don’t like a certain color doesn’t mean it’s not a color. I support better admin tools period. It is so severely lacking in capability I’ll take any scrap they throw us. The only problem is the game isn’t doing so hot either. Keep in mind they can only do so much with limited resources.

Nothing in this world is free. Don’t bag on people trying to fund their servers and asininely assume it’s because they can’t afford to pay for a server “without relying upon handouts”. Google gaming clans and it will blow your mind how single clans large and small can have over 40+ servers spanning all kinds of games. Everybody should know the costs associated with running servers. If you’re badgering an operator for accepting donations I suspect you have no idea and don’t belong in these forums.

While I do not have that need, I do need to let the players know who and how to contact when there is an issue with the server. That’s when a MOTD would come in handy. Normally not having a MOTD couldn’t be less of an issue. However when this game has so many bugs (some present since beta like server browser issues) it requires admins to step in more then other games would require them to. The server I operate constantly disappears off the server browser and player count is never accurate. Nothing a simple restart won’t fix, but it becomes tedious with its frequency.

In the grand scheme of things a lot of these complaints are “small”, but add up and amount to frustration. For instance, if I want to police the server the game client needs to be open and I have to take up a slot spectating. If I find a dissident my only options are to kick or ban. There is no in-between and it seems to be quite harsh to me. Kick rarely works as they are free to return and continue. Banning is so final I want to reserve that for those who truly deserve it. Some people only need a prod to get back under control.

In other games like counter-strike, admins can configure a “slap”. Which basically does what it sounds like; it slaps a player and sends them flying. Repeated slaps literally slap them around as they fly about the map publicly humiliating them and hopefully bringing them in line. Damage is optional. All the while a message is displayed “xxxx was slapped by the admin”. Lets them know the admin disapproves of their actions without the resentment of a kick or the finality of a ban.

On that topic, when I kick or ban someone it simply says they left the server. People can not differentiate between those who leave after rampaging on their own team and those who were quickly dealt with by a watchful admin. People tend to abide rules when they see them actively enforced. So I would like some acknowledgement of an admin’s actions, good or bad. As it is, it is too ambiguous what happened.

tl;dr There wouldn’t be a complaint about admin tools if the devs didn’t force a need for them without providing them. MOTD, rcon, more disciplinary options, and admin acknowledgement are requested.

• AMEN!!! aint that the truth hollaluleuh

• Developer

@dirtyjob:

@MerLiNz:

MOTD, servermessage etc arent vital but RCON yes, We have a server and when it’s full we cant join until one leave or reset server ^^

the answer is not rcon but reserved slots.

Some rcon tools can do reserved slots themselves. In any case, reserved slots is in the list too, but it’s lower priority than rcon (and it’ll be much lower priority if we can confirm a Chivalry-compatible rcon tool can handle it itself). Remote console is at the top of admin-related-features list at the moment.

I don’t have an ETA on any of it. We’re transitioning to a physical studio right now, and our team has been changing as we said farewell to some team members and brought new ones on, so things are going to be a little messy for the near future, with the expectation that they’ll be far more smooth after that.

• Here’s an update that Crusty posted in another thread. Hope this helps you know that it IS indeed coming…

@CrustaceanSoup:

Not until rcon support (we’re close to releasing CU1 Patch 1.5; rcon is planned for Patch 3, but might make Patch 2 at least in a rudimentary form).

• ….it has been a LONG LONG time since these have originally been posted… where are the rcon tools?

• @tonnic:

….it has been a LONG LONG time since these have originally been posted… where are the rcon tools?

Seriously dude, the server have BigBrotherBot and many plugins support from long ago.

• @tonnic:

….it has been a LONG LONG time since these have originally been posted… where are the rcon tools?

They are out.

But its the biggest pile of shit ever.

• I’ve developed some rcon tools that are used on the SM servers, however the reserved slots thing doesn’t really work - the only way we can implement it is as keeping a couple of slots free on the server then kicking people as they join. This basically means once the server is say 48/50 (with 2 reserved slots) many many people join and get kicked. Some people suggest the constant joins/kicks causes some server lag but that’s anecdotal.

We’d need some support in the server browser that say something like 48/50 (2) so that people know there are 2 reserved slots and the game won’t let them join.

Although people have gotten by without more developed rcon, it is something that I feel would attract more clans and lets be frank: clans provide the well-adminned servers and keep the popularity of the game going for much longer than if everyone relies on public servers. Also if there are loads of clan servers it means TB has to put less resources into multiplay servers.

That being said, the current implementation of rcon certainly serves. Currently things like B3 bot work though.