Any real-life archers here?

• Just curious. I know there are a few people here that are into medieval stuff like swords and armor and reenactments. But is anyone here more into the archer class stuff? Either for sport or for fun?

Not that I care for it, but my dad is really big into hunting. He has a mechanical sniper bow (with pulleys and such) and a more traditional recurve bow. Me being a relatively weak and unfit guy, can’t even pull back the string on the mechanical bow. It must have been hard for medieval archers back in the older days to draw a real wooden bow.

We also have a mechanical crossbow. That, I can use, but even with an on-board quiver it takes me a while to load a bolt. I can imagine it being pretty scary trying to hurry up and reload a crossbow while an enemy cavalry line rushes at you, or while enemy infantry storms your position.

I don’t even know about javelins. Someone mentioned in the ‘General Discussion’ section that it’s pretty hard, even for professionals. I can’t even begin to think what kind of man-beast you would have to be to kill a warrior in full plate battle raiment with a thrown stick.

But that’s just what I know on the matter. Does anyone else collect or use traditional medieval ranged weapons?

• Does a spear gun count? :P

• I won our schools archery tournament three years in a row :D :archb:

The shooting was hardly remarkable though, the fun part was getting to make our own arrows.
    From smoothing the shaft right down to the fletching’s and crest!

My knowledge of archery is pretty pathetic , however I would much like to learn more.

I can imagine it being pretty scary trying to hurry up and reload a crossbow while an enemy cavalry line rushes at you

Good thing we have our portable crossbowmen shields in Chivalry!

• I’v done a little archery in my time, but not too much, about a year off and on

• @King:

I won our schools archery tournament three years in a row :D :archb:

Sounds dangerous! I have never heard of archery in schools before :o

• The school was a co-op school of sorts so there were a lot of wacky classes.

on another though, I wonder how drastically the game would change if we had mechanical sniper bows (with pulleys and such) implemented.

Would the game become Archery: Medieval Warfare ?