The chain on the flails should wrap around shields

• So the buckler already makes the flail pretty bad since you get knocked back by nearly every attack. But the worst part about it is that it doesn’t do what it was designed to do and is basically just a mace with a flail model. The entire purpose of the flail in my opinion was to counter shield users because the chain would just wrap around one if used right. You might as well just make another mace if the chain doesn’t even serve a purpose. Besides, shields are way too effective as they are now. The hitbox on most shields are catered towards the user and are inaccurate.

• you’ll have to think of it as… you need to get around that shield with the flail. It can be done… but think about it… when you block in this game, you need to aim at the enemy’s tip to block. So essentially a successful block is blocking the flail’s ball… which is the hard and pointy thing that hurts. If you are able to get around the side of your opponent and swing… your flail can land hits, and that is using it properly. That and a little timing or feint’s etc make the flail pretty effective. I don’t use it much personally because i can’t stand the buckler and moving slower… but it does get around shields. However, if it were to get around the shield EVERY time which it sounds like you are suggesting… that would be totally unfair to shield users as they would just get rocked over and over. And you know if one of your hits connect you are going to combo it right? yeah that would just piss anyone off that uses a shield. It would not be very fair to them.

Flails are also particularly good to ‘dance’ with. i saw a guy face-ing shit all day and he was moving beautifully with the flail. Just as all weapons, you have to find the best way to use it with your playstyle.

There are weapons in the game that statistically people say there are just better alternatives. For example grand mace vs. pole axe. Pole axe wins… but the grand mace is a beast if you know how to weild the thing. Same thing with the Maul. It’s so freaking slow and IMO it’s easy to block for me… but yet i know guys that truck through people and look like madmen and are totally scary on the battlefield with those things…

So point is… they should not get around all shields, but used correctly they will hit people with shields. And other point is that you just need to learn to use the weapon effectively as others have… just as you would any other weapon. Also, i tend to prefer the light flail over the heavy, if you are using the heavy… give the other one a try ;)

• @Ruku:

… The entire purpose of the flail in my opinion was to counter shield users because the chain would just wrap around one if used right…

The kind of flails used in Chivalry were rarely used in combat. There are only a few known surviving weapons and very little pictorial sources. It’s possible that they were more used as a demolition tool for knocking down doors etc. or as a parade weapon.

• @Ruku:

So the buckler already makes the flail pretty bad since you get knocked back by nearly every attack. But the worst part about it is that it doesn’t do what it was designed to do and is basically just a mace with a flail model. The entire purpose of the flail in my opinion was to counter shield users because the chain would just wrap around one if used right. You might as well just make another mace if the chain doesn’t even serve a purpose. Besides, shields are way too effective as they are now. The hitbox on most shields are catered towards the user and are inaccurate.

What’s wield is you say the flail had a primary purpose “in your opinion.” Was it the primary purpose or wasn’t it? If your conclusion is opinion based then you can’t really say it’s the actual “purpose” of the weapon.

Are you proposing that the flail just straight up kill shields?

You’re telling me you want to give me a weapon that can be used to attack like any other only it also cannot be blocked by one type of defense?

Of course the hitbox on shields are catered toward the user. That’s how most things are designed. Imagine your weapon being catered toward the non-user in front of you.

I don’t think shields are that bad but I need to fight against them more. To me they are just a parry that I kick when baited instead of attack with the added bonus of getting a hit in and some advantage whether or not the shield is up if I connect.

• The main benefit of the flail in real life was its whip-like speed and lack of impact vibration incurred by the user. It means you could keep wacking your enemy with very littler strain on your arm.

• Heres a videos with a few cool facts about the flail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF0JpDiW33c

• @AllShallPerish:

Heres a videos with a few cool facts about the flail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF0JpDiW33c

I find those shows fun but lacking in historical accuracy, it’s all essentially the hosts opinion which he rarely cites sources for or explains how he came to his conclusions.

However I think that the “heavy flail” in Chivalry should be the two handed kind shown at the start of the video which was a much more widely used weapon.

• okay, the people that say that not a lot of them were found and not used widely there Is a good reason for that when a lot of wars are fought in tight clashes the ball gets stuck in shields and are hard to master unlike a spear or a crossbow but to say they weren’t used much is silly, the late Russians really liked em, you find a lot of axes and spears because they are cheap and easy to make…chain isn’t that easy. And the point of the flail was to make the weight move faster by the wider arc created by the chain and reduce felt recoil in the arm, just happens they go around shields well. My only issue with them on here is the damage of the heavy and the speed, it is foolishly slow. But that is my opinion. :D

• Who cares about historical accuracy? Nothing works in this game like it worked in actual history.

• @Dark:

Who cares about historical accuracy? Nothing works in this game like it worked in actual history.

I care. A lot of people care. That’s why people play this game and not some fantasy game where everybody shoots fireballs out of their ass. It’s not completely irrelevant.

• @Dr:

@Dark Symphony:

Who cares about historical accuracy? Nothing works in this game like it worked in actual history.

I care. A lot of people care. That’s why people play this game and not some fantasy game where everybody shoots fireballs out of their ass. It’s not completely irrelevant.

I know I care, like I don’t want to have to handle my black death blisters in battle but Id like to see a bit more realism, they already do a better job than most of these types of games like this thank you torn banner, I just hope we can see some changes =] I understand this is a game, but I want a lot of these people to understand these knights are almost unkillable but im ranting. I want to see a positive change. thank you.

• @Dr:

@Dark Symphony:

But it’s a problem when people start using it as a crutch when calling for mechanical changes.

• I’m excited to see how the animation would look like.