Did the patch mess up combat for u?

• Out of my own frustration I’ve have created many posts after the patch stateing that the game is somehow broken. When I summerize the posts in all those topics I find people who totaly agree with me and those who say its just the feeling and nothing changed.

So here is a poll. Read the below statements before voting. I tried to catch all the weird stuff people are reporting.

1. Ghost swings. Swings that don’t hit you or you don’t hit ur opponent when they clearly should do damage.
    2. Ignored parrys. You point right at the opponents weapon tip but the attack is not parried. Your opponent seems to parry but u still hit him. You were able to parry any of those attacks before patch.
    3. Kick seems somewhat delayed and is hard as heck to even aim properly.
    4. Weapon reach is hard to guess and seems random. Sometimes I’m hit by a weapons tip 1m away from me. Sometimes im not hit, even if the weapon shoul’d reach me. I used reach to my advantage before patch without problems.
    5. Since the patch I can’t hit anything with throwing weapons.
    6. People seem to have weird extra long windups when I ask them they say they feinted. That wasn’t visible to me.
    7. My ping is almost always <50 before and after patch. Still it feels like high ping after patch.
    8. Lag. Even with low ping lag is much more common.

Edit: I have changed the topic. I don’t want this thread to become a general rant topic. I want to adress serious problems some of us have with the “new” combat. So please keep everything else out of this thread. Thanks.

• 1. Ghost swings.

Not noticed it.
    2. Ignored parrys.

I use a shield so never noticed it

3. Kick seems somewhat delayed

Think that was changed so WAD

4. Weapon reach is hard to guess and seems random.

Not noticed a change

Think a change affected the speed of throwing

6. People seem to have weird extra long windups

Not noticed a change

7. My ping is almost always <50 before and after patch. Still it feels like high ping after patch.

You cant ‘feel’ a high ping

Yes, my biggest bone of contention but its not there all the time.

• Actually, ghost swings shouldn’t deal damage at all, it happens when things desync and for the ghost, they get parried, or flinched or something but in third person, the model continues with attacks and combos. This causes problems because the ghost will then often attack in first person, then in third person it will look like they feint during release and recovery of the ghost swing, and it seriously messes you up. We had ghost swings galore in a match yesterday.

• All of these problems you mentioned consisted within the game pre-patch. So in conclusion, this is what happened = Everybody ells got way better than you. L2P

• Yeah, I definitely notice many of these things, with the weapon reach thing and the delayed kick being the most annoying of them.

Also, the whole mechanism seems to be changed. Before the patch, if you’d block or parry an attack, the opponent was always “locked” long enough so you could make a counterattack before he recovered and attacked again, no matter the weapons. Now, when playing with a two handed weapon, when I block/parry an MaA’s attack and immediately want to make an attack of my own, he just attacks again, hitting before my counterattack even comes out of windup (as we’re not even hit trading, so my attack gets canceled). Similarly, when I make an attack and he parries it, I can’t get my own parry up in time to block his counterattack.

Before the patch, MaA were at a disadvantage because of flinching not working and therefore hit trades were almost unavoidable (which the MaA would always loose), but rather than fixing flinchinh it seems they just increased the MaA’s weapon speeds or decreased his stun recovery or something like that. In duel servers, the MaA feels overpowered.

• The game feels completely broken to me. I try nearly every day to deal with it, but I keep on quiting the game frustrated, after getting hit from a broadsword 5 meters away. Or maybe after getting killed from an enemy who has no animations, a halberd-stab-onehit, which is faster than my MAA-sword, a guy who apparently is using a speedhack, but is suddenly normal again… Simply all that stuff, which was’nt present before the update came.

1. Ghost swings.

I’m getting this every fight (duel) again. It’s horrible, since it’s more based on having luck than on a skill-requirement!

2. Ignored parrys.

In my opinion one of the biggest issues, the game has at the moment. This bug was present even before the patch came. It used to happen quite seldom, but at the moment you can recreate them deliberately, when you aim at the right place. There are players, using this to get a 50:2 KD! That is one things, ruining my game-experience completely!

Since the windup-interruption doesn’t seem to work and the kick is so slow, it is completely useless now. In my opinion every hit (of course the kick too) should interrupt the swing of your opponent. Like it is now the game degenerates to a: Choose-knight-with-maul-and-spam-attacks-even-if-you-get-hit-you-still-win-the-duel-game! That really sucks and ruins the skill-requirement.

Fully agreed. Sometimes my halberd doesn’t hit on half a meter distance, sometimes my broadsword hit on 5 meters.

I didn’t notice that issue for myself.

Some people have faster animations, some slower. I’ve noticed that before. That seems to be a major, “game-breaking” bug.

Yeah, the ping got wors a tiny bit (from most of the part 30-50 to 40-60. My internet is as good as it was before!) but still it feels like a ping of… like 80-120. It feels just weird.

Today I was on several servers, with a ping of 40-50 and had some serious lag-issues.

The overall game seems to regress. The bugs are worse than on the release. I really appreciate the new gamemodes, the maps and the (working) bugfixes, but the game was better like it was before.

little things to mention: the old chat-colors were much better and clearer. Now you really have to search for the player-messages, which look the same like the ones from the “game”.
    The class-choose-windows-colors look really weird. Like the transparency is missing inadvertently. It looks too “solid”.

~Hammel

• I have changed the topic. I don’t want this thread to become a general rant topic. I want to adress serious problems some of us have with the “new” combat. So please keep everything else out of this thread. Thanks.

@Hitom:

All of these problems you mentioned consisted within the game pre-patch. So in conclusion, this is what happened = Everybody ells got way better than you. L2P

Yes, you are right they existed befor patch, but they were never ever seriouse to me. Now I die almost every third fight to an ignored parry or a ghost swing. And this is what I want to adress. If you don’t have any problems thats good, maybe we can locate the issues and why not everyone experience them.

@gregcau:

Think that was changed so WAD

Think a change affected the speed of throwing

I quote SlyGoat

@SlyGoat:

Only the shield bash was changed, actually. Before, shield bashes were faster than kicks, despite having the same effect. So now they’re the same speed as kicks are and always have been.

Throwing weapons also underwent no gameplay relevant changes, just a slight animation change on throwing axes (same timings).

• Although none of those vote options fit my personal choice, none of your listed details are anything what I experience, so I voted for the bottom option.

The gameplay is slightly different since the last patch, but it did not mess combat up for me.

@restinpieces:

1. Ghost swings. Swings that don’t hit you or you don’t hit ur opponent when they clearly should do damage.

I don’t experience this.

2. Ignored parrys. You point right at the opponents weapon tip but the attack is not parried. Your opponent seems to parry but u still hit him. You were able to parry any of those attacks before patch.

I don’t experience this. Parry’s work better now and block more than before the patch in my experience…. and that experience is based off of my attacks constantly being parried on angles that shouldn’t (I aim towards the feet, yet their parry around the torso blocks it)

Kick works just fine for me and too often by my enemies kicking me…… people can actually lead up with a good attack after kicking, compared to before the patch when you’d kick them and they’d still have plenty of time blocking your attack, thus kicking was rendered useless.

The action for kicking is delayed more… but to me, it seems more real in regards to the timing… but you can actually hit people stunned by the kick/bash now, where before it was only useful for draining stamina or knocking people off a ledge.

Very effective now.

4. Weapon reach is hard to guess and seems random. Sometimes I’m hit by a weapons tip 1m away from me. Sometimes im not hit, even if the weapon shoul’d reach me. I used reach to my advantage before patch without problems.

Nothing random from my experience. My attacks hit and miss just as I expect them to and as I expected my enemy’s attacks to.

No problems here.

6. People seem to have weird extra long windups when I ask them they say they feinted. That wasn’t visible to me.

Have not experienced this.

Lag issues for me seem to not be as frequent as they used to be before the patch. Issues still occur while playing, but again… not as bad as it used to be, thus an improvement.

See my response to #7

–-------------

Oh, and I don’t know if it matters, but I don’t play in 3rd Person… only 1st person, so maybe that’s the difference.

• 1. Ghost swings. Swings that don’t hit you or you don’t hit ur opponent when they clearly should do damage.

I have noticed this countless times post patch, I will swing clear through an enemy, sometimes they swing clear through me, and damage is never taken. It’s most likely some animation syncing screwing up thanks to something they tweaked because sometimes a player will tell me they swung through me, I say “no you didn’t, I ducked clean under your blade”, and they and a spectator will tell me no you just stood there. So horrible syncing cropping up after patch could explain the ghosting.

This post-patch “bug/feature” has made the game unplayable for me (I have quit playing after putting in 6 hours trying to see if it was the game or me that changed). 2hs block like they should, but now 1hs are no longer parryable if you try to use your eyes to block, you now need to block some hilarious arbitrary point almost behind you if you even want to block a swinging falchion, it’s absurd, and it’s being abused to shit since the patch.

The whole game feels more sluggish to me, I don’t know what happened but I no longer feel as quick as I did pre-patch, and melee combat has gone from intense to molasses thanks to them needlessly tweaking movement speed.

4. Weapon reach is hard to guess and seems random. Sometimes I’m hit by a weapons tip 1m away from me. Sometimes im not hit, even if the weapon should reach me. I used reach to my advantage before patch without problems.

This I have absolutely observed, if a player is moving backwards and swing their weapon they will have lower reach than if they are moving forwards… If you sprint and swing your weapon, you will even get around 3 feet of ghost reach on your blade! It’s absolutely absurd and is most likely being caused by terrible collision prediction code that tries to predict what’s happening a few ms ahead to allow for networked gameplay. I don’t know if they tweaked the code and now broke it, or if they increased latency through some other tweak that made this terrible code glaringly stand out with the increased lag.

I haven’t noticed anything wrong with projectiles, although I no longer see them sticking out of my enemy when they get hit. Maybe what you’re experiencing is caused by the increased latency the game has been suffering from since the patch.

This ties in to broken animation syncing talked about in a reply above.

Before the patch I had a pool of servers I was a regular on and would always be <75 ms, now I can’t even find a populated server that sits below <100 ms on a good day, so they might’ve tweaked something that is more performance intensive on the servers, which for all we know could explain all of these new ailments plaguing the game after the patch.

Same as above.

All in all, I find the game unacceptable in it’s new form and have quit playing it, although pre-patch it was like crack to me, always disappointing to come across developers who make such an amazing game but then prove that it was a fluke by proceeding to ruin it over time.

• I’v played around 140 hours and now I’m quitting this game, it’s totally broken. I can’t say exactly what’s worng, but this update changed a lot. Game now brings no fun to me :(

• So after a few days without CMW I thought I might try something else just for fun.
    I tried Knight with 2h, Vanguard with 2h and Archer before, without luck.

So I thought lets try maa this time. I have played maa only to unlock weapons. And I’m rank 35 now. I suck at dodging and never went back after I unlocked everything. So I was prepared for some raping… Man was I in for a suprise. It feels like my old vanguard playstyle just on speed. I could move in an out of range so easy even without dodge (I never used it) it was ridiculous. Right from the start I was on top of the lists Oo. I used the dane axe and I swear that thing had some swings that reached further then the Zweihander or maybe even the halberd.

Just let them swing their big 2h weapon once then move in and slash them to pieces, so easy. I’m shocked.

• Ghost swings are around, yes, they happen whenever idle flinch used to happen pre-patch. But since they don’t do damage, I don’t mind them that much - I can pretty much detect them actually.

#2 on broken parry is a serious problem.

As for kick, it is delayed (that was changed intentionally) but yes I have noticed it is harder to aim. But that might be working as intended as well.

Weapon range does seem a bit off, dane axe and falchion in particular seem very erratic and often have way longer range than they seem.

I don’t think the others are problems, really.

• Yes, the game feels totaly different from before patch

• I think latency and lag kicked up a notch after the patch, while in a duel server, everything is fine! But when i play in a server with a ping of 40, it’s a mess, hits missing, latency all around the place, and NO, it’s not on my side, this is the only game where i have such problems online.

• @HammelGammel:

The game feels completely broken to me. I try nearly every day to deal with it, but I keep on quiting the game frustrated, after getting hit from a broadsword 5 meters away. Or maybe after getting killed from an enemy who has no animations, a halberd-stab-onehit, which is faster than my MAA-sword, a guy who apparently is using a speedhack, but is suddenly normal again… Simply all that stuff, which was’nt present before the update came.

1. Ghost swings.

I’m getting this every fight (duel) again. It’s horrible, since it’s more based on having luck than on a skill-requirement!

2. Ignored parrys.

In my opinion one of the biggest issues, the game has at the moment. This bug was present even before the patch came. It used to happen quite seldom, but at the moment you can recreate them deliberately, when you aim at the right place. There are players, using this to get a 50:2 KD! That is one things, ruining my game-experience completely!

Since the windup-interruption doesn’t seem to work and the kick is so slow, it is completely useless now. In my opinion every hit (of course the kick too) should interrupt the swing of your opponent. Like it is now the game degenerates to a: Choose-knight-with-maul-and-spam-attacks-even-if-you-get-hit-you-still-win-the-duel-game! That really sucks and ruins the skill-requirement.

Fully agreed. Sometimes my halberd doesn’t hit on half a meter distance, sometimes my broadsword hit on 5 meters.

Some people have faster animations, some slower. I’ve noticed that before. That seems to be a major, “game-breaking” bug.

Yeah, the ping got wors a tiny bit (from most of the part 30-50 to 40-60. My internet is as good as it was before!) but still it feels like a ping of… like 80-120. It feels just weird.

Today I was on several servers, with a ping of 40-50 and had some serious lag-issues.

The overall game seems to regress. The bugs are worse than on the release. I really appreciate the new gamemodes, the maps and the (working) bugfixes, but the game was better like it was before.

little things to mention: the old chat-colors were much better and clearer. Now you really have to search for the player-messages, which look the same like the ones from the “game”.
    The class-choose-windows-colors look really weird. Like the transparency is missing inadvertently. It looks too “solid”.

~Hammel

agreed

• All in all, I find the game unacceptable in it’s new form and have quit playing it, although pre-patch it was like crack to me, always disappointing to come across developers who make such an amazing game but then prove that it was a fluke by proceeding to ruin it over time.

That. The game was crack before, literally hours and hours on the same maps and not one chance of me hitting quit. But its the little things that never get taken care of before patches and turn to bigger things. It was pretty bad being that most 32+ servers were laggy, to even think of playing on 64 was a death wish. They didnt fix it…made it worse…now every server lags.

They never fixed the range on weapons. Ive watched that little hammer and axe hit ranges only spears can hit. And for the hammer being a 2 hit killing machine thats just beyond me how it was never looked at and both of their ranges along with every weapon got worse from patch from ignoring the synching issue with range.

They tried to fix block…but overlooked at how simple the “block the tip” system can be abused when your weapon can technically be BEHIND the person. Pre patch it was the same way…thats why i wass MAA…it was beyond godlike to be that fast and spam tips behind the person. They ignored allll of it…how? i couldnt tell you… because everyone who knew anything about the game was doing it, just with hal, so it wasnt hard to figure out the problem.

Its the littlest things that ruin games**, and its sad this game is falling because of it. This game could make MILLIONS ive always talked about games like this, Theres no fighting like it, it simply is just endless fun. But afterwhile you notice why you died…and how you actually got that kill and why their team is dominating and its just people exploting they obvious that should have BEEN fixed.

Torn banner needs to wake up or pass the torch because this is a great idea, just like the game WarZ, a online multiplayer zombie apocolypse survival game, something people have been wanting forever…only thing is, just like WarZ, the developers just arent doing anything to the real problems and that game went from 1000 servers off the bat to 3 months later only having 10.

• I have noticed blocking doesn’t work a lot of the time now and hit detection can be crap but that still existed before just less common

• @HammelGammel:

The game feels completely broken to me. I try nearly every day to deal with it, but I keep on quiting the game frustrated, after getting hit from a broadsword 5 meters away. Or maybe after getting killed from an enemy who has no animations, a halberd-stab-onehit, which is faster than my MAA-sword, a guy who apparently is using a speedhack, but is suddenly normal again… Simply all that stuff, which was’nt present before the update came.

1. Ghost swings.

2. Ignored parrys.

~Hammel

Very nice post. If I could decide, I would have the old version with helberd nerf and new maps/gamemodes and no other changes.

• So ghost swings are real, then?

• @Skream:

So ghost swings are real, then?

Yes in the sense that they exist, no in the sense that when one happens, you will never take any damage. Ghost swings are annoying because they completely throw you off, you go to parry a ghost swing, and the real one comes right after.