Quantifying Usefulness in Team games

• I have the easiest mathematical solution to go around the unneeded focus on kills kills kills:

What helps your team win is damage dealt, period. You do a lot of damage, you help.

1. substract all team damage from your total damage dealt per game.
    2. when the game ends, calculate your percentage of the total damage your team dealt.
    3. multiply the above number with the number of teammates
    4. you end up with a number which organically shows your overall contribution.

Example:

2 player team, in the end:
    A dealt 1000 dmg
    B dealt 1000 dmg

We want to see A’s contribution: he dealt 50% of total team damage, multiply it with 2(number of teammates) - you end up with a score of 100 pts of “usefulness”
    A - 500 dmg
    B - 1000 dmg
    C - 500 dmg

A dealt 25% of team damage, multiply with 3 - score of 75
    conversely, B dealt 50% of the damage, mult. by 3, score of 150.

a more realistical example:

A - 4855
    B - 4222
    C - 3289
    D - 1521
    E - 701
    F - 3511
    G - 3489

total - 21588

A dealt 22.5% of total team damage - mult. by 7 -> 157.42 score

I will only have to think of a way to account for late joiners and players who quit (who could be regarded as a single player in the economy of team damage dealt)

• I love this idea, it´s pretty straight forward. When I´m an archer and have like 2k of damage dealt but only 5 kills, it sucks that noone can see my actual damage dealt so this would help get archers a little more respect. :-)

• Great idea. Lots of effort put into the post, easy to read. +1

• I like it but I would still add bonuses based on number of killing blows.

Its all very well scoring some damage but if that damaged person kills two of your team mates and then heals up while waiting for your team to reach the objective again its not contributing as much as if you had done enough damage to kill him.

• @gregcau:

I like it but I would still add bonuses based on number of killing blows.

Its all very well scoring some damage but if that damaged person kills two of your team mates and then heals up while waiting for your team to reach the objective again its not contributing as much as if you had done enough damage to kill him.

Sure, last hits could be the equivalent of 25 damage let’s say, so it would increase your final score.

Or, if it’s alright, a kill could mean something like 2-3 final points.

I don’t have a problem with this, as long as the main focus remains on damage done.

• @gregcau:

I like it but I would still add bonuses based on number of killing blows.

Or you have the scenario where one player kills a player to 10% health and then another ‘friendly’ player comes over LMB spaming and gets the kill but also hits his own player. I think this is a much more common scenario. Not to mention a player that goes off into a corner to regenerate is taking one player away from the team as its typically less efficient to hide in a corner regenerating.
    A player should not get bonus points for stealing a killing blow at the very least.
    for the above scenario
    Player ‘A’ does 90% of the damage
    Player ‘B’ does 10% of the damage (ignoring the friendly fire bit)
    How does that warrant a bonus… well it doesn’t. Solving this issue would give a more accurate reflection of how all of the classes are performing.

A solution to players leaving and another joining is that you count their score as = to that of the median player, for purposes of more accurately scoring the other players only (the newly joined player could still get what ever he got).