Increase health regen over time.

• Right now I think the time it takes for health to START regenerating is perfect. I also think that the rate is perfect at the start as well. And the situations in which you can regenerate health (ex: not while sprinting) also perfect.

What I think needs to change is the rate at which health regens over time. I think it would be good if it began to regen faster and faster so that people can recover and get back into the game quicker.

I am totally on board with the design philosophy of not allowing people to back away from a skirmish and start regenerating a bunch of health. I like that for people to really regen they have to pull themselves out of the skirmish. I just think that once they do the wait is a little bit too long. They’re out. They’re going to regen. They’ve waited for a while. Now it’s just a formality and one I don’t think adds as much to the game as it takes away from the engagement.

“But then people would be able to run away and come back and do objectives faster and it would cause imbalance!” some might say. I say they already can do that. It’s called getting killed. There are times when it’s literally better for me to just rush in and let my character get slaughtered for that last sliver of health, wait the respawn timer and then run back with full health and ammo than to actually try to survive due to the constantly low rate.

I think that in the end what would equate to a 30 to even 50% faster rate (after starting very slowly) would work and not have any severe downsides.

• What did you have in mind exactly? I’d be on board with something like doubled regen rate after recovering 3/4 of missing HP normally. That way you can top off quickly if you wait long enough but are as vulnerable as before through most of the duration.

• You have to take into account the seconds u are running up to battle. If u can skip this time by just standing behind the lines and go back to battle in seconds it would realy mess up some TO maps. I personally think its slow as heck but I actualy like it that way.

• I feel it’s fine as it is really. Doesn’t prevent you from fighting at all, and if you want to regen up, all you have to do is slow down to a run while you catch your breath and heal up, rather than charging all the way in. Only takes a few seconds really.

• @Torrenz:

What did you have in mind exactly? I’d be on board with something like doubled regen rate after recovering 3/4 of missing HP normally. That way you can top off quickly if you wait long enough but are as vulnerable as before through most of the duration.

Yeah. Something like this. Though I’d probably shoot for it to kick up when you’ve regenerated a total equal to 40 - 50% of your total HP.

@restinpieces:

You have to take into account the seconds u are running up to battle. If u can skip this time by just standing behind the lines and go back to battle in seconds it would realy mess up some TO maps. I personally think its slow as heck but I actualy like it that way.

I’m not quite following you… What do you mean “take into account the seconds you are running up to battle?”

Also, please more clearly read the opening post. No one is suggesting regenerating to full and returning to battle in a matter of seconds. Especially if we take into account the seconds you are running up to battle.

@BobT36:

I feel it’s fine as it is really. Doesn’t prevent you from fighting at all, and if you want to regen up, all you have to do is slow down to a run while you catch your breath and heal up, rather than charging all the way in. Only takes a few seconds really.

I don’t agree. I STRONGLY disagree that it only takes a few seconds and I think it creates too many situations where it’s better to die and respawn because it’s QUICKER than recovering. At that point I’d say just eliminate the regen entirely.

• I think regen is fine. If you choose to die instead of waiting for regen, you take yourself out of the battle and have to walk back. Even with 1 health you still be effective and deadly so therefore I believe health regen is fine right now.

• @Dark:

@restinpieces:

You have to take into account the seconds u are running up to battle. If u can skip this time by just standing behind the lines and go back to battle in seconds it would realy mess up some TO maps. I personally think its slow as heck but I actualy like it that way.

I’m not quite following you… What do you mean “take into account the seconds you are running up to battle?”

Also, please more clearly read the opening post. No one is suggesting regenerating to full and returning to battle in a matter of seconds. Especially if we take into account the seconds you are running up to battle.

I don’t agree. I STRONGLY disagree that it only takes a few seconds and I think it creates too many situations where it’s better to die and respawn because it’s QUICKER than recovering. At that point I’d say just eliminate the regen entirely.

Any TO map with a pushable thing is balanced on walkways. It gets harder the closer u get to the end. This cannot be reflected by a faster regen because regen time would be the same either if u just started or you are close to the end. But walking time does.

• @ATF_E1:

I think regen is fine. If you choose to die instead of waiting for regen, you take yourself out of the battle and have to walk back. Even with 1 health you still be effective and deadly so therefore I believe health regen is fine right now.

I guess I’m considering how long a person would feel compelled to remain out of the battle. Part of game design is considering what people WILL do and not what they SHOULD do.

I am with you on the tradeoffs that you speak of. I like that people need to pull themselves out of battle to regen. I just think that once they do and have effectively removed themselves the amount of time to wait could use some shortening.

@restinpieces:

@Dark:

@restinpieces:

Any TO map with a pushable thing is balanced on walkways. It gets harder the closer u get to the end. This cannot be reflected by a faster regen because regen time would be the same either if u just started or you are close to the end. But walking time does.

I’m still lost. How does this weave in with my suggestion about the regen rate? I’m not trying to be a jerk. I seriously don’t know.

• I timed it one time when I was on 0 bar of HP. I took a crossbow bow to the torso or something, and spent about 30-35 seconds healing up to full strength. _That to me is ages, considering how much i have to heal up in this game :D
    _

The worst is when you finish healing, just as you run out you catch another arrow :D

• @Yarnu:

I timed it one time when I was on 0 bar of HP. I took a crossbow bow to the torso or something, and spent about 30-35 seconds healing up to full strength. _That to me is ages, considering how much i have to heal up in this game :D
    _

The worst is when you finish healing, just as you run out you catch another arrow :D

This. I hate having to kill someone then wait half a minute, kill someone, wait another 20 seconds, etc

Something needs to be done about the regen rate. Maybe they could keep the frequency of healing (The “gain health every ~1 Second” part) but boost the amount of health gained every tick by 1.5x - 2x. Or maybe they could include regen rate changes in server options. I just dont want my time on a server to be 30% waiting and 70% actually playing the game.

• @Yarnu:

I timed it one time when I was on 0 bar of HP. I took a crossbow bow to the torso or something, and spent about 30-35 seconds healing up to full strength. _That to me is ages, considering how much i have to heal up in this game :D
    _

Yeah. That’s way too long to hae someone disengaged from, well… the game, really.

I’m all about the slow recovery at first. I don’t want people ticking up to max when they are in battle. And doing anything that drains stamina should reset the timer to normal except sprinting which should just freeze it until the sprint is over. But after 10 seconds of regenerating I think the rate should definitely jump up and start giving at least 2x per tick.

• Health is fine as it is. :)

• I disagree. This heavily favors defenders. Regen is in a pretty good spot right now.

But, I think it would be a good idea to do the opposite. Health regen starts out quickly, giving you about 25% of your hp back quickly, while then decelerating. The total time to regen to full would be similar to now, but the last portion of your hp would regenerate slower.

This would actually favor attackers more (and they need the help) since Defenders generally have a lot more time to sit around, while attackers need to be on the move.

• @NikolaiLev:

I disagree. This heavily favors defenders. Regen is in a pretty good spot right now.

But, I think it would be a good idea to do the opposite. Health regen starts out quickly, giving you about 25% of your hp back quickly, while then decelerating. The total time to regen to full would be similar to now, but the last portion of your hp would regenerate slower.

This would actually favor attackers more (and they need the help) since Defenders generally have a lot more time to sit around, while attackers need to be on the move.

This would be a double-edged sword. In the case of, say, the king stage of stoneshill TO, this would barely benefit the attackers and would help the defenders out tons. With the mason side, you basically take down as many agathans as you can before they get you, and let’s be honest, what mason is gonna sit there and heal for 30 seconds when he could just rush in, kill a few more agathans, die, and be back where he was at full health in the same amount of time it would’ve taken him to sit down and do nothing? Not to mention the king would be even more OP than he is now. The last thing the agathans need in that map is yet another massive advantage.

• @Gadwin:

@NikolaiLev:

I disagree. This heavily favors defenders. Regen is in a pretty good spot right now.

This would be a double-edged sword. In the case of, say, the king stage of stoneshill TO, this would barely benefit the attackers and would help the defenders out tons. With the mason side, you basically take down as many agathans as you can before they get you, and let’s be honest, what mason is gonna sit there and heal for 30 seconds when he could just rush in, kill a few more agathans, die, and be back where he was at full health in the same amount of time it would’ve taken him to sit down and do nothing? Not to mention the king would be even more OP than he is now. The last thing the agathans need in that map is yet another massive advantage.

Because of the fact that the overall rate to regenerate full HP stays the same, and the fact the Agathian king is either 1) being harried by archers or being forced to fight, preventing long regeneration or 2) goes unperturbed for long periods of time, I don’t think this would be a huge problem.

Especially if it’s not terribly exaggerated; I don’t mean “Wait five seconds, then instant 25 hp.” It’s just a slight distribution in how regeneration works, done in such a way as to better suit those who can only walk for a short period of time before encountering more resistance (attackers).

We could even increase the amount of time it takes to fully regenerate 100 HP; this would go so far as to nerf regen for defenders, while giving attackers that boost all the same.

• The reason tilting regen to favor the earlier stages rather than later is risky is because of a few things:

Kings would regenerate a ton of HP way too fast.
    People in fights could back away and stall and regen a lot of HP which would be smarter than trying to defeat the person in front of them so they could get real time to start healing.

I admit I didn’t think about King’s and the attacker/defender dynamic in those maps. Naturally the King would need to have his HP pool adjusted to compensate if the regen rate were increased.

However I do need to think more about defending players. As it is now, when people are attacking the king I do often find myself at less than 100% on defense. And if the attackers are consistent it can be hard to top off. I think that’s a good thing because it’s supposed to be a gauntlet and I wouldn’t want that to change.

Hmmm…

You know, another solution would be.,… Eliminate regen. This way players would never feel compelled to pull themselves out of the game to get health back. They know they are in it to the end so they might as well fight.

Or here’s an SUPER crazy suggestion that would be tricky to implement and probably not that good of an idea… What if, when you defeated someone, you could regen 25% health if you taunted right after? And just eliminate health regen. This way the only way to heal… is to fight (the King would keep the same regen system).

• I don’t want regen faster.

If I am fighting multiple people and I strike one person I dont want him topped up quickly while I finish the other guy.

• Terrible idea, especially for 1v1. A player can already regen a decent chunk of health in one go if he plays evasively, so this would only exacerbate that, not to mention people could just retreat a bit, let their 50% health come back up and then hop back into the fray with much less downtime. While this is fun for the player who got wounded, not so fun for the player who wounded him.

On larger maps, it would be a lot faster to run and hide, regen, then jump back in the fight rather than die doing the objective and respawning. The regen speed is perfect for putting you out of commission for a good while if you’re crippled or just taking a brief pause if you took a light hit, which is as it should be.

• @Daiyuki:

Terrible idea, especially for 1v1. A player can already regen a decent chunk of health in one go if he plays evasively, so this would only exacerbate that, not to mention people could just retreat a bit, let their 50% health come back up and then hop back into the fray with much less downtime. While this is fun for the player who got wounded, not so fun for the player who wounded him.

On larger maps, it would be a lot faster to run and hide, regen, then jump back in the fight rather than die doing the objective and respawning. The regen speed is perfect for putting you out of commission for a good while if you’re crippled or just taking a brief pause if you took a light hit, which is as it should be.

The problems with this argument (which has been made a few times) are that not only does this apply to both players, the game isn’t balanced for duels, and finally, it’s trivial to take advantage of this attempt and attack the player while he tries to regenerate.

If a player is regenerating any significant amount of health by “being evasive”, he deserves it, because that requires you miss a ton of swings he wasn’t bothering to parry (parries, as well as any other action besides jogging interrupt regeneration).

Even a Man-at-arms won’t be able to accomplish this due to the chase mechanic, especially if you harass him with throwing weapons.

It’s also worth mentioning that this would mitigate the frustration of being pegged by a random arrow, leading to archers being less irritating to deal with. On the other hand, it makes dedicated harassment more valuable by keeping their regeneration off.

Remember, this isn’t a straight buff to regeneration. If anything, it’d be a long term nerf, because we could easily make it harder to regenerate you’re full pool.

In fact, I’d say it’d make sense for you to not regenerate 25% of your total HP quickly, but rather a percentage of the damage you’ve taken. Say, 25% (again). You take 60 damage from an arrow or something, you gain 15 back faster than the rest, while the rest is slower. You take 30 more, you’ll gain the 15 plus 7.5 back faster, while the rest comes back slower.

And so on. We could put the percentage as high as 50%. Whichever.