Feints

• I am not a native speaker so excuse me for my grammar mistakes.

I’ve been playing Chivalry for 40 hours. I’ve played more than 1000 hours of First Person Shooters.
    Everything I write here is based on my experience in the game and reflects only my personal opinion. I’ve used Sharantil guides to improve my gameplay, I unlocked every primary weapon and tested all of them to try to understand the weapons and mechanics of the game. I know all of this is very little compared to experienced players but my sadness overcame my silence. I ask you all to correct me for I know I am wrong but not the depth of my error.

In my point of view there are 4 ways to bypass parries.

Kicking
    Managing hitboxes (footwork)
    Feinting
    Mindgames (dashing as MAA w/o attacking and expecting your opponent to parry in reflex)

I also reckon that all of them are time/resource heavy except for feinting which only decreases your stamina and may expose you to an attack (yet you can feint to parry). This makes feinting the only viable way to end fights quickly unless you’ve mastered footwork.

Now, I think that feinting is not OP at the moment, but the overuse of it forces the player to be a one-trick-poney or fall for the others.

My suggestion (again, I am fairly new to the game) is:

Transform the actual feint in a directional change for the attack, that way you can use mouse-dragging to surgically strike your oponent where his guard is down. Decrease the size of the defensive area of the parry to 2/3 of what it is. Increase the precision of the attacks by lessening their width (an OHS thinner for example)

This would make the game much more skill based instead of a frustrating guessing game or a reflex based FPS.

I am truly disappointed by the actual metagame and plan to leave Chivalry.

• If you feint at the windup then you might as well let a real attack hit you. You always parry when the swing animation goes through. The only problem I can see this have is for stab attack.

Keep your distance.

Because much like FPS, spraying in close quarters is the same if you fight within humping distances. Probably not the best analogy but you get the point.

• I’ve heard this from Sharantil before, but usually it’s a stab as it’s the fastest. I may not have the best precision of the best footwork but I do have a strong reflex and control over my actions and it still seem to be a guesswork with a .2 second of mercy before hitting me. The problem is that while you are keeping your distance it’s fairly easy for the enemy to parry your own attacks while footworking to go around his hitbox takes too long or is only viable close range.

Again, you feint to kill him or hope he doesn’t block.

• Feint is annoying to higher skill players because it is another mechanic to master in both to counter and in use. Blocking is fairly easy and a skilled player can block any attacks for days and this often result in a really long skirmish between another player.

• I doubt the game engine and server could manage your suggestion even though it is good.

My advice is to completely ignore feinting and focus only on timing. You can ignore feinting because:
    -if someone is within range of your weapon you hit them
    -if they are out of range and swing you can ignore it

Other tips,
    -Try not to back peddle
    -if people come too close kick them
    -If you know someone is going to come very close without swinging kicking them is a brilliant way to mess up their tactics.
    Join one of the larger dueling servers with 24-32 players and get queued up for lots of duels and try these above ideas. Just be aware that at least 50% of the players are very good on the dueling servers and about 15% use exploits.

• @giantyak:

I doubt the game engine and server could manage your suggestion even though it is good.

My advice is to completely ignore feinting and focus only on timing. You can ignore feinting because:

Other tips,
    -Try not to back peddle
    -if people come too close kick them
    -If you know someone is going to come very close without swinging kicking them is a brilliant way to mess up their tactics.
    Join one of the larger dueling servers with 24-32 players and get queued up for lots of duels and try these above ideas. Just be aware that at least 50% of the players are very good on the dueling servers and about 15% use exploits.

You’re right, these responses can actually win against feint. That’s why I said feinting isn’t OP right now. What makes me upset is the disruption it causes in the duel, everything revolves around it. There is a football technique (here in Brazil at least) that increases drastically your chances to score a goal, when you are preparing to kick the ball you halt, the goalkeeper most times will react and jump to where he thought the ball was going to and will leave the goal open for you to score. It’s efficient, but still a dick move that steals the focus of the game which is winning by skill/accuracy.

• @giantyak:

I doubt the game engine and server could manage your suggestion even though it is good.

In a nut shell, don’t parry at the windup and let the animation go through then you parry.

• @WhatDehFish:

@giantyak:

In a nut shell, don’t parry at the windup and let the animation go through then you parry.

Try to do this against a spearman or good MAA with falchion then come back here.

• @WhatDehFish:

The only problem I can see this have is for stab attack.

Also spears are annoying in general since stab attacks are the hardest to parry.

A good MAA can destroy knights and vanguards without feint thanks to their dodge mechanic and innate speed,mobility and the interrupt mechanic.

Feint is a difficult issue to talk about because some play styles defiantly benefit from it and some don’t. The mechanics of Chivalry work best in a proper duel scenario but this can be hard to achieve in team battles. Some people have a hard time parrying stabs but I have NO problem whatsoever and seem to parry any stabs that I have time to react.

If people are suggesting that feinting is most overpowered when it is used really close to your opponent however, is it any different to when a MAA face hug you and rampantly slashes over you that your parry cannot register?

Whatever fixes the feint may get won’t change the fact that it will fool someone into parrying in face distance. Fast weapon will always be the best at face hugging and you can only nerf the speed of some weapons so far. Daggers and 1HS are meant to be fast.

Lets face it, Chivalry is setting the standards for first person slasher multiplayer and it isn’t much different to FPS communities when they say their game promotes camping, grenade spamming or spraying etc but sometimes if the situation warrant such tactics then it is often the best course of action , however to other people’s dismay.

This game is not perfect, but people forget that Chivalry is a game of its own.

P.S, I am in favour of whatever fixes to feint that is appropriate to the gameplay and is reasonable acceptable by the community but at the moment, the suggestions (in other posts) about removing it completely and incredible nerfs to it will undoubtably compromise the balance.

• @WhatDehFish:

@WhatDehFish:

The only problem I can see this have is for stab attack.

Also spears are annoying in general since stab attacks are the hardest to parry.

A good MAA can destroy knights and vanguards without feint thanks to their dodge mechanic and innate speed,mobility and the interrupt mechanic.

Feint is a difficult issue to talk about because some play styles defiantly benefit from it and some don’t. The mechanics of Chivalry work best in a proper duel scenario but this can be hard to achieve in team battles. Some people have a hard time parrying stabs but I have NO problem whatsoever and seem to parry any stabs that I have time to react.

If people are suggesting that feinting is most overpowered when it is used really close to your opponent however, is it any different to when a MAA face hug you and rampantly slashes over you that your parry cannot register?

Whatever fixes the feint may get won’t change the fact that it will fool someone into parrying in face distance. Fast weapon will always be the best at face hugging and you can only nerf the speed of some weapons so far. Daggers and 1HS are meant to be fast.

Lets face it, Chivalry is setting the standards for first person slasher multiplayer and it isn’t much different to FPS communities when they say their game promotes camping, grenade spamming or spraying etc but sometimes if the situation warrant such tactics then it is often the best course of action , however to other people’s dismay.

This game is not perfect, but people forget that Chivalry is a game of its own.

P.S, I am in favour of whatever fixes to feint that is appropriate to the gameplay and is reasonable acceptable by the community but at the moment, the suggestions (in other posts) about removing it completely and incredible nerfs to it will undoubtably compromise the balance.

Nope chivalry is not a deep 1v1 game at all.

Duel me.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/bunggoo

• My issue with feinting is that it is yet another ability that is dependent on speed. A good feint as a battle axe knight still has such a long time until the real swing that they can easily parry it again, making the feint pointless (and a waste of stamina). Now, if you are good and the opponent isn’t super great, then you can delay things a bit so you can hit, but really the feint doesn’t help you much.

I’d like to see the feint more viable on heavy weapons. Maybe make them quickly combo out of a feint so you can strike when their guard is down? That’s my only issue with it as of right now.

• @Tankcommander:

My issue with feinting is that it is yet another ability that is dependent on speed. A good feint as a battle axe knight still has such a long time until the real swing that they can easily parry it again, making the feint pointless (and a waste of stamina). Now, if you are good and the opponent isn’t super great, then you can delay things a bit so you can hit, but really the feint doesn’t help you much.

I’d like to see the feint more viable on heavy weapons. Maybe make them quickly combo out of a feint so you can strike when their guard is down? That’s my only issue with it as of right now.

Good point.

With all these “free hit feint” comments I often wonder what the deal is since there are many weapons that have feints that are pretty easy to react to, provided you’re not reactively hitting the parry button the moment someone flinches.

• @TankCommander:

A good feint as a battle axe knight still has such a long time until the real swing that they can easily parry it again, making the feint pointless (and a waste of stamina).

You are wrong. The double axe’s (I assume that’s what you mean, the other two are even faster) longest windup is 650ms, and that is the thrust which you will not use. The 2h feint is 200ms. 650ms + 200ms = 850ms. If you miss a parry, it’s either 900ms or 1000ms before you will be able to get your parry back up (I can’t remember). 850 ms is less than both of those numbers, though, so if you feint correctly you absolutely should get your hit.

@TankCommander:

I’d like to see the feint more viable on heavy weapons. Maybe make them quickly combo out of a feint so you can strike when their guard is down?

I don’t think there’s any weapon in the game that is slow enough that it cannot be feinted properly with (i.e. your opponent can raise his block back up faster than feint cooldown + windup). Tips: feint close, feint late, and swing your attacks into your enemy with the mouse.

@Dark:

I often wonder what the deal is since there are many weapons that have feints that are pretty easy to react to

You are determined to make it glaringly obvious that you understand nothing about chivalry combat when done competently, aren’t you? I gave you the numbers, as lifted from the game, and you still insist feints can be reacted to. Try playing against players who are actually good.