Stun lock – too much?

• I think smaller weapons shouldn’t stun/flinch lock heavily armored classes the way they do now. I’m not sure, but getting into a stun locked mode is just merciless.

Maybe all the spamming problems can be fixed by toning down the stun lock. Thoughts?

• There’s no such thing as “stun lock” in Chivalry. The only time you are truly “stunned” and thus unable to block is when you’re kicked with your shield up.

• @SlyGoat:

There’s no such thing as “stun lock” in Chivalry. The only time you are truly “stunned” and thus unable to block is when you’re kicked with your shield up.

Can you confirm this is a bug? I can’t imagine TB would knowingly put in a feature that makes it IMPOSSIBLE to block in such a way as this…

Reading the notes from the January update i was under the impression that if you are kicked with your shield up you should still have at least the barest of time to get your block back up after you’ve been kicked.

• Sometimes when I have my weapon out and I parry an attack I get stunned even though I still have plenty of stamina. What is caused by/is it a bug?

• @SlyGoat:

There’s no such thing as “stun lock” in Chivalry. The only time you are truly “stunned” and thus unable to block is when you’re kicked with your shield up.

I definitely get stun locked when a dagger user keeps slicing me to oblivion. Faster weapons can stun lock.

• @Dr.Nick:

@SlyGoat:

Can you confirm this is a bug? I can’t imagine TB would knowingly put in a feature that makes it IMPOSSIBLE to block in such a way as this…

Reading the notes from the January update i was under the impression that if you are kicked with your shield up you should still have at least the barest of time to get your block back up after you’ve been kicked.

Not a bug, a deliberate feature designed to stop people holding up their shields. Now after you kick someone with the shield up you pretty much get a free hit.

@Magnificent:

I definitely get stun locked when a dagger user keeps slicing me to oblivion. Faster weapons can stun lock.

What’s happening here is that if you try to attack then you’re getting flinched because you’re being hit during your wind up. If you miss your block or parry I’m not sure if there’s a recovery time.

• @Oy:

Sometimes when I have my weapon out and I parry an attack I get stunned even though I still have plenty of stamina. What is caused by/is it a bug?

I’ve experienced this about 30 times in my entire playtime of Chivalry. I block/parry an attack whilst I have close to a full bar and my character gets a significant pushback and flinch as if I was just kicked.
    Need to reproduce this somehow.

• @Dr.Nick:

@SlyGoat:

You have a .4 sec window to drop your shield and not receive the stun. That’s longer than many weapon windups - if you can parry a hatchet, you can easily drop your block to avoid a kick. People just need to adjust to it. Keep in mind your shield doesn’t even need to be dropped completely before the kick hits you - it just needs to be in the process of dropping.

• @Dr.Nick:

@SlyGoat:

Once you are kicked with your shield up you have failed that exchange and will likely receive damage. The purpose is to force the player to predict and read their opponent and be wary of the possibility of being kicked.

Essentially the only way to avoid that impossible to block hit is to avoid the situation in the first place.

Either how, what some people are perceiving as stun lock is indeed a case of people getting hit constantly out of their wind up. Additionally some weapons (most, I think) have built in frame traps where if you parry instantly after getting hit you will eat the second combo swing.

It’s really hard to keep ones cool when under attack and wait that extra second, let alone have the ability to mentally atone for the varying swing speeds of weapons, but it’s the ticket to avoiding a front row beat down.

• @SlyGoat:

@Dr.Nick:

@SlyGoat:

You have a .4 sec window to drop your shield and not receive the stun. That’s longer than many weapon windups - if you can parry a hatchet, you can easily drop your block to avoid a kick. People just need to adjust to it. Keep in mind your shield doesn’t even need to be dropped completely before the kick hits you - it just needs to be in the process of dropping.

Except that if they enemy feints you and you hold your shield up you will just get kicked and be stunned or drop it to get promptly slashed :\ I’m guessing this was a design oversight on the part of the devs.

• @SlyGoat:

This is correct and i’ll do this, but its the dumbest thing ever in Chivalry.
    “Hey look i’m going to be kicked, i better drop my shield so i can be fly kicked in the face instead”

• I was under the impression that hits to the head gave a daze effect?

• @Hitom:

I was under the impression that hits to the head gave a daze effect?

Nope. It’s flinch. What flinch does is cancels a wind up. An attack consists of Wind up, release, and recovery. Hitting someone during a windup cancels their attack. Sometimes, however, i’ve noticed flinch fails and the attack happens anyway, or another somehow starts before your recovery time is over. Recovery is the amount of “downtime” you have between attacks. During this downtime, you are unable to attack or parry/block. So you could imagine having a flinch not happen can be pretty bad for the attacker…

• @Slaughtervomit:

@Hitom:

I was under the impression that hits to the head gave a daze effect?

Nope. It’s flinch. What flinch does is cancels a wind up. An attack consists of Wind up, release, and recovery. Hitting someone during a windup cancels their attack. Sometimes, however, i’ve noticed flinch fails and the attack happens anyway, or another somehow starts before your recovery time is over. Recovery is the amount of “downtime” you have between attacks. During this downtime, you are unable to attack or parry/block. So you could imagine having a flinch not happen can be pretty bad for the attacker…

Allright, thanks for the info! I think the “sometime” might be when you’re out of stamina? I don’t think i’ve been able to cancel their wind up with a head hit then.

• i hated shields pre-patch, especially in duels, since it kinda felt cheap and boring turtling behind them, especially in duels. i use them far more now, preferrably against spammy classes like archer and maa. you are only vulnerable to daze-kick-instahits if you leave the enemy out of sight for longer than it takes him to kick, and in my opinion that’s a fair enough time window to pull of invincible über wall of doom blocks that make the penalties well worthwhile. Not to mention the advantages against the ranged rabble.