[MECH] Help me fight feinting

• I regularly get killed by feints. So if you would all be so kind as to provide me some tips and tricks to make this stop I would be most obliged. Also it would be cool if we could keep the controversy of feints vs non-feints out of the thread.

• Most people have a pattern to feinting.

Feint> do real hit

Rinse and repeat.

Try to see if they continue this pattern and force yourself to not block the first feint but the real hit than attack back with your own feint and kick them if they have a shield and do some damage

• If I were you, I would watch how they play. Most people have patterns. If you find the pattern, you will be able to beat them. If you’re unsure, I would suggest watching their attack and wait until it is out of the wind-up. When it is out of the wind-up, block it. They won’t be able to feint. After that, throw a feint right after the block. They will most likely block and when they do, throw in your real attack. They will probably be expecting this the next time you block their attack, so mix up your attacks. Make them play your game. Don’t play their game.

• These ideas sound like you need to die 50 times before you can ascertain each players personal trick, whether he folds his johnie to the left or to the right, up or down?

How about you just ignore fainting altogether and pretend that it doesn’t exist.
    -hit the enemy as soon as they are in your weapon’s range.
    (easy if your weapon is longer then theirs ;) )

If their weapon is longer then yours :?
    -where they keep their distance:
    –-Try to close the distance unpredictably and if they are going to attack then try to beat them to the punch with your shorter, but hopefully faster weapon.
    —Sometimes people are allergic to doing the first swing and if on closing they leave their swing too long then kick them first and then hit them.
    -where they try to close aggressively:
    –-hit them first by closing the gap, then do not back peddle. Instead land a kick on them and then finish them off.

• Go combo fists. I’m serious.

• Footwork. You are parrying but don’t stand still at the same time, keep moving, flank them so when the real strike follows up you have a better chance of dodging it.

If they feint too early you have a chance of getting a second parry up in time so as you parry be prepared to parry again.

• Use a shield, don’t stop blocking until they have connected. This gives you a good chance of learning their patterns and just hit them when they feint.

• You have no chance of being able to react reliably to someone who switches up their feints. It is mechanically impossible. If they’re at a close enough range (Which they will be if they want to, they can sprint), you will get stuck in the parry animation for .5 and they’ll hit you just as it drops.

You have a few options of improving your chances against feints. Such as hoping that the person has the same pattern over and over, and trying to catch on to it.

Importantly, if someone does an attack animation and they are outside their effective weapon’s range, you can almost be assured that they’re going to feint. Swing immediately any time you see someone begin to attack out of their range and they’re running at you.

Stay on the offensive. Your most effective tool against feinting is limiting how often you need to make that coin toss in defense. Keep them on their toes, make use of sprinting away (opposite direction) a little when you get blocked (Making sure to turn around quickly to block). That small juke saves lives.

If they’re using an especially slow weapon such as the zweihander or brandistock, you can parry twice before their attack connects sometimes.

In a team setting, simply stick with your teammates, most good players will not risk feinting in a 2 v 1 scenario.

If you’re using a long weapon, try baiting them into a feint or counter attack by running at them with an attack and then continuing to run past or away from them, then return with your second hit after they whiff the air.

• As man at arms, you should be dodging instead of blocking enemy attacks, so feinting isn’t as much of a problem. As knight, you should have a shield, so feinting isn’t a problem. As vanguard, you have a long weapon, so keep them away from you and feints are much easier to spot at a distance. At high levels of play identifying enemy patterns and utilizing proper footwork is key to surviving feints.

• Maintain a anti-feint range.

• Patterns aren’t that hard to spot for most players. The most common pattern I see is someone who attacks, get blocked, then feint - attack. If you see ANYONE who is feinting at all, try to hit them when they feint. If you have a fast weapon, swing right after they break their feint and you will always hit first. After that they usually try to mix it up by throwing a few feints in a row, but just don’t fall for it. They’ll tire themselves out and you can turn on them.

Oh and I forgot to mention:

A lot of players who feint rely on constantly attacking. Players who constantly attack are used to blocking and then immediately following with an attack to try and turn the offensive. Make sure you use a lot of combos so they can’t do this. If they try to attack while you’re in the middle of a combo, they’ll always take 2 or 3 hits before they either die or go back into defensive mode.

• From my experience, if either they;

(1) have a 1 hander
    (2) aren’t retardedly predictable or
    (3) are good at feint-cancelling to block your preemptive strike

then you’re already dead unless you can learn to react & parry in the split second between end-of-windup and actual strike. Which is impossible if they’re facehugging, and they will be.

Enjoy.

• Play archer and shoot them. ;)

• @Slaughtervomit:

Play archer and shoot them. ;)

Or be an admin and ban them. :D

• @Matti:

@Slaughtervomit:

Agreed… Very effective!

• @Matti:

@Slaughtervomit:

Go to admin’s house and moider him

• @boomandvibe:

@Matti:

@Slaughtervomit:

Go to admin’s house and moider him

With feints

• If they are using 2-handers, just wait until they release before you block, its fully within human reaction times. To further explain there are 2 stages when you attack, the windup (during which you can perform a feint) and the release where it is no longer possible to feint. Its pretty easy to distinguish the two from eachother if you pay a little attention.

If they use 1-handers, its hard if they are within facehug range I would suggest not leting them feint by combo-dancing alot, stay out of range or just bring out a shield (which I do vs 1-handers).

• @kywild:

If they are using 2-handers, just wait until they release before you block, its fully within human reaction times. To further explain there are 2 stages when you attack, the windup (during which you can perform a feint) and the release where it is no longer possible to feint. Its pretty easy to distinguish the two from eachother if you pay a little attention.

If they use 1-handers, its hard if they are within facehug range I would suggest not leting them feint by combo-dancing alot, stay out of range or just bring out a shield (which I do vs 1-handers).

Kywild is a good dueler but Shield is a bad idea. A kick would guarantee the attacker a free hit on you.

Usually its better to fight a 1hander with another 1-hand or a 2-hand with high damage. You have to keep attacking to counter any feint attempt. Just keep attacking unless the attacker hit you and is attempting a combo. The 1st combo is usually 70% real vs 30% feint.

• Keep a healthy range away from them is all i honestly can suggest