Remove feints

• Go to any fencing society and say feinting is unrealistic.
    Go post it on myarmoury.com, home of scholarly weapons experts and medieval collectors, and watch how fast you are politely kicked in the balls.
    I’m not being sarcastic about the polite thing, nor the kicked in the balls thing, its a scholarly bunch who know’s their stuff, and how to thoroughly debunk outlandish things.

“Take out feinting.” is the same thing as crying ‘OP’, its just a whine coming from the inarticulate who either lose to it, and/or feel inadequate for not applying it.

Rather than crying, try exercising your focus, make a brain game of it (such is why feinting is applied for more tactics to be applied), wait for the weapon to come close, rather than jerking the parry button at the windup.

Another flexible way of thinking, is not to aim for the head just for more damage, but for a smaller target to better your accuracy on.

You see, I apologize if I came off strong. I mean well, I really do.

• Except you are retarded if you think that feinting in Chivalry is the same as feinting in real swordplay.

Hint: It’s not.

In real life you can hold your parry.

In Chivalry I can effectively lock you out of any decision making because of a design flaw. (Parrying puts you into a locked animation)

If I’m going to be faked out let it be because of the speed of your maneuver(like in real life pump fakes in basketball for example) not because of a shitty game mechanic.

• @MUSASHI:

Save space.

Well said, well said.

• No feinting should not be removed, otherwise it would turn into a trade hit(block) and fighting good players at same time no one will ever win because you cant out smart your opponent. Feinting got bit of a nerf with this content update(costs more stamina). Feinting is a core mechanic of this game and if you don’t like it simply don’t play the game. Good day

-NIGEL

• He meant feints are unrealistic in this particular game.
    I back the idea of removing the feint by hearth, but I’m also good with a significant nerf.
    The concept of feinting is fine, but it’s overused and takes away much of the fun I could have in a duel.

• @Nigel:

No feinting should not be removed, otherwise it would turn into a trade hit(block) and fighting good players at same time no one will ever win because you cant out smart your opponent. Feinting got bit of a nerf with this content update(costs more stamina). Feinting is a core mechanic of this game and if you don’t like it simply don’t play the game. Good day

-NIGEL

Prove that no one would ever win. I would like to see a fight between 2 skilled players last more than 3 minutes with no feinting… (let alone “forever”) Your argument that no one would ever win is false. Sorry.

• @NomadCZ:

Feints are unrealistic. People SPAM them, and you can’t counter them. Feints make Chivalry a guessing game. In my opinion, this game is about outsmarting your opponent, not feinting everyone like a brainless turd.

Start using feints yourself and with alittle practice you’ll start to see the true beauty of the game. Anything to keep you from being a 1 dimensional fighter is ok in my book. All I can say is, Practice, Practice, Practice. Then practice some more. If they remove Feints, im done playing.

• @Swords:

@NomadCZ:

Feints are unrealistic. People SPAM them, and you can’t counter them. Feints make Chivalry a guessing game. In my opinion, this game is about outsmarting your opponent, not feinting everyone like a brainless turd.

Start using feints yourself and with alittle practice you’ll start to see the true beauty of the game. Anything to keep you from being a 1 dimensional fighter is ok in my book. All I can say is, Practice, Practice, Practice. Then practice some more. If they remove Feints, im done playing.

In all seriousness, you would quit playing if they removed feints? You rely so heavily on them for your gaming experience that you would quit if they weren’t there anymore? I say good riddance.

• @Slaughtervomit:

@Swords:

@NomadCZ:

In all seriousness, you would quit playing if they removed feints? You rely so heavily on them for your gaming experience that you would quit if they weren’t there anymore? I say good riddance.

And I say, Learn how to play.

Go play elder scrolls, no feints in that game.

• This is just so absurd, it should be locked and deleted.

• In all seriousness, you would quit playing if they removed feints? You rely so heavily on them for your gaming experience that you would quit if they weren’t there anymore? I say good riddance.

I say gtfo…

• @Slaughtervomit:

@Swords:

@NomadCZ:

Exactement.
    Since I stopped feinting offensively, I was forced to learn how to play smart.
    Now I have to maneuver my blade past ones defence, which is more challenging and ALOT more satisfying!

• @MUSASHI:

Except you are retarded if you think that feinting in Chivalry is the same as feinting in real swordplay.

In Chivalry I can effectively lock you out of any decision making because of a design flaw. (Parrying puts you into a locked animation)

If I’m going to be faked out let it be because of the speed of your maneuver(like in real life pump fakes in basketball for example) not because of a shitty game mechanic.

So if I were to feint, Alt-Strike… wouldn’t this be a classic example seen in fencing? To raise one’s blade to falsely telegraph and get them on the defensive for one strike, to come in from another angle?

• Difference being the misdirection is pronounced and easily adjusted for without the need for super human reaction times, even at the Olympian level.

• With the given subject and terminology, it would only be fitting to say, touché.
    I concede to you Strudel, as you made a good point and without the use of rude insults.

• I don’t see how you “tweak” feinting without also tweaking parrying quite a bit. And in the process, fundamentally changing what seems like part of Chivalry’s basic design philosophy. Otherwise, I don’t see a way to change feinting much that doesn’t basically render it useless. Which I suppose would suit some people fine; the thread title is “remove feints,” after all. But if Torn Banner actually did that, I would be very surprised. Feinting serves an important purpose.

This was something that Mount & Blade actually had figured out all along. If someone came at you with an overhead strike, you needed an overhead parry, and so on. You could feint right, try to get them to parry right, then switch to swing left. Neither feints nor parries locked you into an animation. It wasn’t perfect either, but in terms of “realistic,” “skilled” melee combat, Mount & Blade comes closer. But it’s also very fiddly.

It seems to me that part of Chivalry’s appeal is streamlined, immediately fun melee combat. I can’t speak for the devs, of course, but I’m guessing that’s by design. Maybe they can make some improvements, but at some point the tiny percentage of “top tier” players may have to accept the limitations.

• @Vigil80:

It seems to me that part of Chivalry’s appeal is streamlined, immediately fun melee combat. I can’t speak for the devs, of course, but I’m guessing that’s by design. Maybe they can make some improvements, but at some point the tiny percentage of “top tier” players may have to accept the limitations.

I don’t see why that would be the case in this particular case. Casual players and newbies don’t feint so it’s a mechanic that only serves to worsen high level play.

• @Aleihr:

With the given subject and terminology, it would only be fitting to say, touché.
    I concede to you Strudel, as you made a good point and without the use of rude insults.

Except you are retarded if you think that feinting in Chivalry is the same as feinting in real swordplay.

How retarded are you? I insult people because they’re dumb enough to not read posts. I’m not going to waste my time with people that try to spite me by being contrarian idiots. If you really really think that feinting in Chiv is anything like real life you have lost touch with reality in all seriousness. Nothing in Chiv is ANYTHING like real life.

Difference being the misdirection is pronounced and easily adjusted for without the need for super human reaction times, even at the Olympian level.

This guy said what I said.

• The reason why you can’t hold you parry is so that feinting would work and it means you actually have to have some amount of skill to play.

And in real life people didn’t run around holding thier weapons up in a block position.

People actually only parried when the had to. Holding it up would be useless in real life. So don’t use realism Argument.

• @lemonater47:

The reason why you can’t hold you parry is so that feinting would work and it means you actually have to have some amount of skill to play.

…but feints are guesswork.