The autobalance system NEEDS changing

• I have played this glorious game religiously for months now, and my primary complaint is at the state of the autobalance mechanics. If the team numbers are uneven, some unlucky soul is grabbed at random, in the middle of battle, to be subjected to a teambalance. I’ve never played an online game with such a barbaric and severe solution to team balance. I have even lost kingship (on the Stone Hill) map to an incredibly untimely autobalance.

I propose a new system.
    1. We should NEVER be balanced in the middle of a life. It will mean teams will be numerically uneven for longer, but this far beats the extreme unfairness of having a killstreak cut short by a balance.

2. It should allow those players who have been on the team for longer to remain on their original team. (Note: this is apparently a mechanic already :) )
    If time spent on the team is the same for all members, autobalance should avoid those players with more points. More points means that you have made more contributions to the team, and therefore better deserve to remain on the team.

3. Going into battle with your friends is what makes this game truly great, and I think autobalance should take this fact into consideration. I recognize this is my most controversial point, as friends playing together are at an advantage for teamwork and ‘teamstacking’ could become a concern. If a friend was on the opposing team which needed players, if autobalance should also prioritize YOU to be placed with your friend. I have not decided what priority the friend consideration should have over time spent on the team or points earned. Perhaps friend consideration should be the bottom priority, only after time spent and points earned, to avoid skill unbalance on one team.

Thoughts?

• #2 is how it already works. I also think it should prioritize dead players, hopefully we can make that happen soon.

• I thought that might be the case, thank you for correction. To adopt my point: if for example all players on the team have all been on the team for the amount of time, autobalance should prioritize players with less points. My reasoning is that players with more points have made more contribution to the team, and therefore deserve to remain on the team.

This is an adaption to my 2nd point, #1 and #3 I remain unchanged.

• We apparently have death based autobalance already, but it isn’t enabled by deafult :|

• I am very happy to hear that. I think I speak for all of us fans when I say that the simple change of enabling death-based autobalance would greatly improve the game experience.

• @jambo:

autobalance should prioritize players with less points. My reasoning is that players with more points have made more contribution to the team, and therefore deserve to remain on the team.

I can see your reasoning but if the enemy team is losing players because they are getting pounded, doesn’t that just make the game even more unfair? It should swap people that are in the middle of the scoreboard.

• @Matti:

I can see your reasoning but if the enemy team is losing players because they are getting pounded, doesn’t that just make the game even more unfair? It should swap people that are in the middle of the scoreboard.

What you say is true, swapping low score players could potentially increase the skill gap between the two teams. However, low points does not necessarily imply low skill. A skilled player who has only been on the server for a minute or two will still have low points.

Would you agree though that autobalance should be death based?