Faster swing, slower windup, better active hit frames.

• I think a good change would be to increase the speed of the actual swings and lower the speed of the windup. Change it to where in the end the motion takes as long as it does now.

The point of this would be to make it far easier to visually discern when you are hitting someone in their swing.

As it is now it’s so hard to tell what qualifies as “windup” and what qualifies as “swing.” And when you account for latency and whatnot you have a real hard time getting a feel for when something should or should not have interrupted.

If the rear back were longer or stalled and the follow up swing was faster it would be easier to see when you are hitting someone during a windup, swing or recovery.

Speaking of recovery… I think better active hit frames are needed. As it is there’s some fun nonsense where halberds stab while they are retracting and the greatsword can still hit for half a second after the overhead swing is actually completed making spacing a little goofy. Additionally it could do away with a lot of situations that bother people like, for example, some overhead swings hitting on the way up from behind and whatnot. I see a lot of people proposing a bunch of complex solutions like “less damage depending on where they are at in the swing” but I think it would be best to just better assign when a weapon can actually do it’s damage.

• What? No! Go play a hundred more hours and come back and read how nonsensical your post sounds…

• @Hitom:

What? No! Go play a hundred more hours and come back and read how nonsensical your post sounds…

It’s not nonsensical. That’s why you are relying on me to do your work for you rather than explain yourself why the post is nonsensical.

Sounds to me like you don’t like some of the suggestions but are unable to find any actual flaws in them so you’re playing a REALLY BAD version of the “urf u need 2 pay moar” card.

Additionally, no game should require anything CLOSE to 100 hours to get a feel for how the mechanics work an interact. If it takes you that long then you are not qualified to question jack of what anyone suggests.

Now quit trying to “sound” informed and actually “be” informed via a non-garbage response.

• No, Hitom’s right. It’s a terrible idea.

1. Faster releases reduce the importance of footwork, aiming, dragging (and acceling, whether you think that’s valuable or not).

2. Slower windups (unless it’s a flat increase, which is… weird) increases the window for faster weapons to interrupt slower weapons. At the very least, it gives you a longer window to chicken out of your attack into parry if you don’t think you’ll get the interrupt. They also make parrying easier.

3. Overall, it will make combat feel like everything is a giant maul-like deathstick. You rear back for some ungodly time then IMMAFIRINMUHLAZOR.

This would noticeably amputate most of the skillful parts of Chivalry gameplay (like all of your other suggestions), slow down and simplify combat, and massively increase the feeling of sluggishness.

• @Dark:

I think a good change would be to increase the speed of the actual swings and lower the speed of the windup. Change it to where in the end the motion takes as long as it does now.

The point of this would be to make it far easier to visually discern when you are hitting someone in their swing.

As it is now it’s so hard to tell what qualifies as “windup” and what qualifies as “swing.” And when you account for latency and whatnot you have a real hard time getting a feel for when something should or should not have interrupted.

If the rear back were longer or stalled and the follow up swing was faster it would be easier to see when you are hitting someone during a windup, swing or recovery.

Speaking of recovery… I think better active hit frames are needed. As it is there’s some fun nonsense where halberds stab while they are retracting and the greatsword can still hit for half a second after the overhead swing is actually completed making spacing a little goofy. Additionally it could do away with a lot of situations that bother people like, for example, some overhead swings hitting on the way up from behind and whatnot. I see a lot of people proposing a bunch of complex solutions like “less damage depending on where they are at in the swing” but I think it would be best to just better assign when a weapon can actually do it’s damage.

I think what you’re trying to say is you want slower Windups and faster Release times. Release is the time during which your weapon is able to hit things. You can be flinched out of your attack during Windup, but not Release.

This would have quite a few effects, some of which good, some of which bad.

Your other problem is simply that hit traces are too wide. I agree with this one. The hit trace starts at a very peculiar point, before the weapon gets momentum.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =127034999

Another weird thing is that the “golf swing” makes it evident the handle is part of the hit trace. This leads to you being able to hit people behind you. (The previous trace can result in this too).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =127034986