Veteran of chivalry, gives thoughts on balance

• Hi there

i love the game chivalry, and id love to share my thoughts on the game balance

chivalry is one of the best most unique games ive played, and well i respect how far it has gone from age of chivalry, and spent countless hours playing it

but here are some things id like to put out, which in my opinion, would make the game greater, and more balanced

1.)weapon’s speed
    2.)shields
    3.)maa’s dodge
    4.) weapons damage, and its damage on certain classes
    5.)feints

1.) first off on weapons speed, speed in my opinion wins at chivalry, lets face it

double axe, yes….at the moment its kinda the worse weapon in the game,but im able to beat the rather…less experienced players in the game, but on equal footing, id lose most likely

now there are 2 options to deal with this situation,

1st option is to buff the speed of these weapons, just the incredibly slow ones, like the double axe, or the war hammer

2nd option is to give heavy weapons like the axe, to be unparriable, by that i dont mean unblockable, the best way to explain is by example, lets say im a knight fighting a maa using a broadsword that doesnt have a shield, i swing, he attempts to parry, it should somehow knock him back due to the force of the heavy weapon, now im not saying you should give me a free hit, like the kick stun to the shield

2.)shields, ive fought countless duels with the shield, but ive come to realize one thing, the shields drop down time, yes when i lower my shield, it now takes time to lower my shield

now reason why im talking bout this, is because i fought a player who abused my shield recovery weakness, he literally kept swinging with a long sword, but i couldnt counter any of his hits, coz i had to lower my shield and swing, and if i attempted to counter i get hit because of the time it took to lower my shield and attack

how to fix this?, well add a little “stun” when you attack a shielded warrior, when you hit someone shielding himself, make a slight “attack stun”

meaning he cant attack for like a certain time, but he can still retain his mobility, im not saying make him not able to attack for like 5 seconds, but more of the, just enough time for me to retaliate

coz he literally, just kept swinging, even with a heavy sword, and i couldnt fight back coz of the recovery time of the shield, and to make matters worse, i would lose stamina if i continously blocked

3.) maa’s dodge

now everyone ive talked to about this in the game, says its balanced because of the stamina…well im just saying, he can dodge in and out get like 2-3 hits in and then step back…guess what, stamina comes back quicker than health

i suggest a cool down on this dodge, being able to use it after 5 seconds

4.)weapons damage on certain classes

i like how the 1st level hammer, with its speed 2 hits everything, i mean i can understand if blunt weapons to extra damage to armored classes, but god damn…2 hits a knight

heres how the fights should go

smaller weapons (like the broadsword and that small hatchet thing…shit i forgot what its called)
    should
    2 hit a maa and archer
    3 hit a vanguard
    4 hit a knight

imo double handed weapons should be the only thing to 3 hit a knight

oh…and the double axe’s slash should 1 hit a maa, lets face it, your not going to be able to get that 1 hit with something that slow, even with the speed buff i suggested, unless hes a less experienced player

lastly feints

ok, we all got hit by a follow up attack after a feint, now honestly, its hard to predict a feint a fast weapon, 2 handed weapons…no problem, you can see it coming, but a feint from a fast weapon?, your out of luck if you dont have a shield

if you perform a feint, you have a small recovery time, which disallows you to attack for less than 1 second, but you can block instantly if you choose to do so

im about to go on deployment on my ship…so this thoughts on balance is my gift to chivalry saying thanks for the fun and joy it provided :3

• 1.) Weapon’s speed
    The weapons speed for knights are fine. They’re so slow because they do so much damage, it’s all about balancing the game.

If you hit a parrying opponent with a maul or double axe etc. will significantly drain their stamina. The system is fine.

2.) Shields
    Why would you find difficulty in someone constantly hitting your shield with a big weapon if you’re a ‘veteran’? You should be able to attack out of a block, not sure why you can’t (bug?).

You can shield bash people already, press F. This knocks them off balance.

3.) MaA’s dodge
    Don’t see the problem here, it’s what MaA’s do. :)

4.) Weapons damage, and its damage on certain classes
    This is already implemented in the game, but I agree that the hammer is over-powered.

5.)Feints
    Feints should be re-worked.

@Westwarren:

im about to go on deployment on my ship……so this thoughts on balance is my gift to chivalry saying thanks for the fun and joy it provided :3

+1 Respect. Keep safe!

• @Westwarren:

3.) maa’s dodge

now everyone ive talked to about this in the game, says its balanced because of the stamina……well im just saying, he can dodge in and out get like 2-3 hits in and then step back…guess what, stamina comes back quicker than health

YES. A cooldown would be great, although it should be longer than 5 seconds.

• @Gadwin:

@Westwarren:

3.) maa’s dodge

now everyone ive talked to about this in the game, says its balanced because of the stamina……well im just saying, he can dodge in and out get like 2-3 hits in and then step back…guess what, stamina comes back quicker than health

Any reasoning to that?

IMO, adding a cooldown wouldn’t make much difference in the end, just draw battles out much longer. If you spam it too much already you lose all your stamina and are basically useless as MAA.

• @Westwarren:

3.) maa’s dodge

Yes, a cooldown would balance the overpowered mechanic of MaA side-dodging around you, but 5 seconds is too much I think. I think 2-3 seconds would be enough, to give time for the defender to respond to the dodge, while not depriving the MaA of his advantage too much.

• @Matti:

1.) Weapon’s speed
    The weapons speed for knights are fine. They’re so slow because they do so much damage, it’s all about balancing the game.

If you hit a parrying opponent with a maul or double axe etc. will significantly drain their stamina. The system is fine.

2.) Shields
    Why would you find difficulty in someone constantly hitting your shield with a big weapon if you’re a ‘veteran’? You should be able to attack out of a block, not sure why you can’t (bug?).

You can shield bash people already, press F. This knocks them off balance.

3.) MaA’s dodge
    Don’t see the problem here, it’s what MaA’s do. :)

4.) Weapons damage, and its damage on certain classes
    This is already implemented in the game, but I agree that the hammer is over-powered.

5.)Feints
    Feints should be re-worked.

@Westwarren:

im about to go on deployment on my ship……so this thoughts on balance is my gift to chivalry saying thanks for the fun and joy it provided :3

+1 Respect. Keep safe!

now heres what i want to point out

in a high level play, all the really good knights i faced, when it came to the sword, was the sword of war….because of its speed, now damage wont mean anything you cant even touch the enemy, but if you have an incredibly slow weapon,…your not going to get that 1 hit

now, what i want to point out is, when someone blocks my slow heavy weapon attack…prepare for a flurry of a quick strikes because if that guy knows how to feint, its almost impossible to fight back, because its way harder to see the feint attack of a faster weapon

2.) shields now have a recovery time, its not like a parry where you can attack quickly after blocking, you need to drop your shield down, and i cant bash him away coz he is using a long 2 handed weapon, out of all the people i ever fought in chivalry, he was the first person i saw to exploit the recovery of the shield from blocking, out of everyone i ever fought, and i won 400 duels and lost 80 times (coz i played with the double axe

3.) maa’s dodge…its what they do yes, but in a high level play, maa’s get in and out of situations incredibly well, they honestly dont even need a shield or to parry

4.)…yes, i was just trying to explain that some of it needs work

5.) feints…i already gave my suggestions into fixing it

• @NabsterHax:

@Gadwin:

@Westwarren:

3.) maa’s dodge

Any reasoning to that?

IMO, adding a cooldown wouldn’t make much difference in the end, just draw battles out much longer. If you spam it too much already you lose all your stamina and are basically useless as MAA.

lol, heres what a good maa does, ive seen this all the time

maa vs anyone thats not a maa

• maa waits for the opportunity, maa dodges forwards gets about 2-3 hits in, enemy retaliates, enemy misses, maa waits for a little stamina to come back, and maa kills

• @Westwarren:

• maa waits for the opportunity, maa dodges forwards gets about 2-3 hits in, enemy retaliates, enemy misses, maa waits for a little stamina to come back, and maa kills

Where is the problem in this?

Stop creating opportunities for MAA attacks by swinging out of range wildly and whiffing. MAA is designed to have superior movement and speed and if you remove that he becomes an ultra-terrible knight.

MAAs have a very small amount of health and one mistake can end their game. This is the main disadvantage of MAAs, but many good MAAs don’t make mistakes against predictable pub players.

• @NabsterHax:

@Westwarren:

Where is the problem in this?

Stop creating opportunities for MAA attacks by swinging out of range wildly and whiffing. MAA is designed to have superior movement and speed and if you remove that he becomes an ultra-terrible knight.

MAAs have a very small amount of health and one mistake can end their game. This is the main disadvantage of MAAs, but many good MAAs don’t make mistakes against predictable pub players.

This.

With the problems that dodge has, it’s quite difficult to do well against skilled opponents and even someone who just does something unpredictable. One mistake and you’re either dead or almost there, there is no margin for error even for missed strikes, because that’s precious dodge stamina wasted. If ever an MAA dodges in and throws a bunch of strikes, or dodges several times with one strike or two, you press him once he’s out of reach because his stamina is gone. I see everyone just wait for stamina to come back because they think the MAA can do what he just did again, which he can’t because it all takes stamina.

• While your post is well thought out and detailed… it’s incredibly knight-sided in its perspective of overall game balance. Also when talking about nerfing MAA’s keep in mind that people still can get hits off when they have completed their windup. This mechanic negates a big part of the MAA’s game of going in quick and getting out. While you have to predict the MAA’s patterns he also has to be wary of you connecting past the windup stage even after you are hit with his attack. I can count many times where a vanguard or knight has gotten an overhand and 1-hit KO’d after I struck them. What people fail to realize is that in order to beat a good MAA you have to dominate them at face hugging distance. If you play defensively at that distance you will lose almost every time. If you try to engage at long distance they will simply bypass your swings or dodge in and out to strike you in between swings.

Also any knight worth their weight with a slow weapon will not rely on simply swinging and hoping for a hit. You have to feint and vary the timing or absorb a hit. It’s a very niche and precise play-style that not everyone can dominate with. If you ever played Street Fighter and tried to play with Zangief, it’s very similar.

• @ATF_E1:

While your post is well thought out and detailed… it’s incredibly knight-sided in its perspective of overall game balance. Also when talking about nerfing MAA’s keep in mind that people still can get hits off when they have completed their windup. This mechanic negates a big part of the MAA’s game of going in quick and getting out. While you have to predict the MAA’s patterns he also has to be wary of you connecting past the windup stage even after you are hit with his attack. I can count many times where a vanguard or knight has gotten an overhand and 1-hit KO’d after I struck them. What people fail to realize is that in order to beat a good MAA you have to dominate them at face hugging distance. If you play defensively at that distance you will lose almost every time. If you try to engage at long distance they will simply bypass your swings or dodge in and out to strike you in between swings.

Also any knight worth their weight with a slow weapon will not rely on simply swinging and hoping for a hit. You have to feint and vary the timing or absorb a hit. It’s a very niche and precise play-style that not everyone can dominate with. If you ever played Street Fighter and tried to play with Zangief, it’s very similar.

like i said, this is high level play we are talking about here, its easier to see the feint of a 2 handed weapon than a 1 handed weapon, the guys i play with, when i use a heavy weapon, dont fall for the feint trick, coz its just too slow

if you charge a maa, and attempt to face hug him, your doing him a huge favor, coz he is faster, and when he gets those hits in while you face hug him, he will dodge back and wait for a little stamina before he finishes you off

• Too many balance discussions and suggestions come down to “this is hard for me to deal with and should be changed” and “This is one thing I have done and it isn’t working. Change” and “add a cooldown on something I don’t like.”

I’m not trying to be a jerk. But that’s literally it. People act as if this game freezes them in situations and they have to opportunity to use any of the game’s mechanics to avoid or respond to things. They are very quick to show why their class’s strengths should be catered to but then quick to dismiss other class’s strengths as “unfair.” And they don’t consider the entirety of the game as well.

Ex: MAA are really good at fighting and have a lot of options to defeat a class! OK. Let’s say they are more capable than other classes at fighting. When we consider that do we consider their ability to go down really easy to arrow shots (don’t bring up a shield because archers aren’t required to gie you a heads up that they are going to shoot), stray hits and friendly fire? A(n) MAA is essentially the game on fast forward. He gets in, does damage and dies. It just all happens quicker.

• No, feints are just fine as they are and if your another person complaining about feints then get the fuck out. There is enough hit trade games out there like “War of the Roses” go play that. feints have already received a nerf this game with the content update and cost more. If you notice a feinter you should be able to counter them easily because they expect you to stand around and block. Feinting is used for higher tier gamers and pro league games and to remove/gimp it further as it is would just ruin it. Not saying everyone who feints is a pro because people just spam feints are idiots as well. Feinting in its current state is fine.

• @Dark:

Too many balance discussions and suggestions come down to “this is hard for me to deal with and should be changed” and “This is one thing I have done and it isn’t working. Change” and “add a cooldown on something I don’t like.”

I’m not trying to be a jerk. But that’s literally it. People act as if this game freezes them in situations and they have to opportunity to use any of the game’s mechanics to avoid or respond to things. They are very quick to show why their class’s strengths should be catered to but then quick to dismiss other class’s strengths as “unfair.” And they don’t consider the entirety of the game as well.

Ex: MAA are really good at fighting and have a lot of options to defeat a class! OK. Let’s say they are more capable than other classes at fighting. When we consider that do we consider their ability to go down really easy to arrow shots (don’t bring up a shield because archers aren’t required to gie you a heads up that they are going to shoot), stray hits and friendly fire? A(n) MAA is essentially the game on fast forward. He gets in, does damage and dies. It just all happens quicker.

i do consider the entire game as a whole, and if that maa was actually a good maa, he would go in and do damage and dodge back out, if he was actually good, now ive fought plenty of maa’s on duels the really good ones, step in do damage, step back, wait for the stamina to go a little higher, then go get the kill, and like i said, stamina comes back faster than health

now and the reason that it pisses me off, is that, it takes 2 hits to kill a maa, if you use swords, and a knight or a vanguard takes 3 hits, if the maa is using the broad sword/ hatchet thing

so let me get this straight, im a knight that takes 3 hits to die……vs a maa that takes 2 hits, and can dodge in and out, and is wayyyyyy faster than i am, now, see the imbalance there?

i honestly wouldnt mind if it took 4 hits to kill me, (assuming that i get hit on the body and not the head), but no…it takes 3, taking 1 extra wont really justify the imbalance of the maa’s outstanding speed

• @Nigel:

No, feints are just fine as they are and if your another person complaining about feints then get the fuck out. There is enough hit trade games out there like “War of the Roses” go play that. feints have already received a nerf this game with the content update and cost more. If you notice a feinter you should be able to counter them easily because they expect you to stand around and block. Feinting is used for higher tier gamers and pro league games and to remove/gimp it further as it is would just ruin it. Not saying everyone who feints is a pro because people just spam feints are idiots as well. Feinting in its current state is fine.

about feints, those are simple suggestions….honestly, i think its fine, but its just op on faster weapons, coz its harder to see it

• @Westwarren:

i do consider the entire game as a whole, and if that maa was actually a good maa, he would go in and do damage and dodge back out, if he was actually good, now ive fought plenty of maa’s on duels the really good ones, step in do damage, step back, wait for the stamina to go a little higher, then go get the kill, and like i said, stamina comes back faster than health

now and the reason that it pisses me off, is that, it takes 2 hits to kill a maa, if you use swords, and a knight or a vanguard takes 3 hits, if the maa is using the broad sword/ hatchet thing

so let me get this straight, im a knight that takes 3 hits to die……vs a maa that takes 2 hits, and can dodge in and out, and is wayyyyyy faster than i am, now, see the imbalance there?

i honestly wouldnt mind if it took 4 hits to kill me, (assuming that i get hit on the body and not the head), but no…it takes 3, taking 1 extra wont really justify the imbalance of the maa’s outstanding speed

You aren’t considering the game as a whole. Knights aren’t designed to be effective in 1v1 against MAAs. MAAs are practically the kings of 1v1s and it’s pretty much impossible to make any class-based game that doesn’t have an optimal 1v1 class. In team fights, sloppy MAAs are the first to go down, and good MAAs have to be super-careful about their movement, limiting their effectiveness.

• @NabsterHax:

@Westwarren:

You aren’t considering the game as a whole. Knights aren’t designed to be effective in 1v1 against MAAs. MAAs are practically the kings of 1v1s and it’s pretty much impossible to make any class-based game that doesn’t have an optimal 1v1 class. In team fights, sloppy MAAs are the first to go down, and good MAAs have to be super-careful about their movement, limiting their effectiveness.

anyone can go 1 v 1, now with the duels out

and besides we arent talking bout sloppy players, talking about 2 guys fighting on high level playing field, maa’s even with a cool down, are still going to be good

• @Westwarren:

and besides we arent talking bout sloppy players, talking about 2 guys fighting on high level playing field, maa’s even with a cool down, are still going to be good

Anyone CAN is not good reasoning for anyone SHOULD. MAAs only real weaknesses are unblockable ranged weapons and their own mistakes. But the game isn’t designed to be played 1v1. It’s a cool mini-game but you really see a balance between all classes in team fights.

• @NabsterHax:

@Westwarren:

Anyone CAN is not good reasoning for anyone SHOULD. MAAs only real weaknesses are unblockable ranged weapons and their own mistakes. But the game isn’t designed to be played 1v1. It’s a cool mini-game but you really see a balance between all classes in team fights.

if anything everyones weakness is mistakes

• @Westwarren:

if anything everyones weakness is mistakes

Right, as maa you usually only get to make a mistake once or twice before you’re dead. Other classes with more health are much more forgiving.