Pommel bash

• READ!!!
    There have been many requests for this attack. So I have tried to see how it would work. So it would be a bit more lethal than a kick. But it will not knock them back, made to interrupt attacks. I was thinking if you held ALT then pressed f executing the pommel strike. This can also be useful to save your team mates by quickly bashing the enemy. Even if it hits your team mate it wouldn’t do much damage. This can lower team killing. Like this idea? :D

• There have indeed been many suggestions to add a pommel bash, or a mid-section 2-hander bash, as an alternate stab. The option of putting it as an alternate kick is an interesting option as well. It’s up to the devs if and how they will implement it.

• I would be delighted to see polearm staff strikes, sword pommel bashes, and so on implemented as differently animated Kicks. Same mechanics, just different art. It’d help my immersion a bit.

• @Rick:

I would be delighted to see polearm staff strikes, sword pommel bashes, and so on implemented as differently animated Kicks. Same mechanics, just different art. It’d help my immersion a bit.

Of course then runs the problem of accurately memorizing all these animations and making sure they are all different enough from the regular attacks so that they won’t be mistaken as such.

• I would like this if could be used counter the “face hugging” tactic.

• It would be good as a combo breaker.

I think it should be faster then kick, but not knock back, and perhaps if it is purposed for something like combo breaking then do minimal damage.

• this should have usually less range than a kick, right? sounds a bit useless to me, even tho id like to see that strike implemented. should be parryable and faster but less range.
    could be horribly abused in 2 vs 1, just sayin.

• How do you mean it could be abused 2 v 1?
    In a 2 v 1 situation the single player gets horribly abused anyway ;) . But seriously, if its a close range move only then you’d still have to get close enough to use it. It could speed combat up a little in times where one player approaches from behind. It would still be a two way street the single player might pull a trick on the other two players?

Maybe all this needs to amount to is a stop in an animation sequence for things that already occur, such as, the current state of when pole arms hit with the shaft of butt and not the blade at the end. This would give an explanation as to how/why someone died to a shaft or but. If you can imagine an overhead with the halberd and the weapon coming to a sudden halt halfway through the follow through swing it would look as if the shaft or but of the weapon had struck the target. This show visually how they died in such an instance. So perhaps, in terms of game play, mechanically nothing needs to be changed but people can have a visual representation of whats happening.

Alternatively half an overhead follow through animation could be attached to a ‘new move’ and then an additional mechanic could be added, such as, a combo breaker… Or for use in the instance of ‘facehugging’ / close quarter attacks…but to what effect? you wouldnt want it to break the game or change the current balance

• one dude would come close and pommelspam the other would pop kills.

• Well, you can’t kick-spam easily, now can you? So since this shall be just a slightly changed kick, you probably can’t pommel bash spam either.

• What if the defender pommel bashes first….

• Pommel bash should be extremely quick, very short range, long recovery, unblockable. Anti face-hugger move.
    The long recovery wil prevent spamming and allow punishing if you miss.

• @Thorendir:

this should have usually less range than a kick, right? sounds a bit useless to me, even tho id like to see that strike implemented. should be parryable and faster but less range.
    could be horribly abused in 2 vs 1, just sayin.

How is it useless? It is a quick pommel bash to have a opener to break combos.

• In addition to this I would love to be able to punch with my free hand when using single hand weapons without shields. This could serve the same purpose of being a very close facehugger flincher.

• @Joppe:

In addition to this I would love to be able to punch with my free hand when using single hand weapons without shields. This could serve the same purpose of being a very close facehugger flincher.

I like this idea. You may want to make this idea its own topic so the devs see it.

• @CrimsonAvenger:

I would like this if could be used counter the “face hugging” tactic.

Yes! If you can use it as a C-C-C-C-C-Combo Breaker on a facehugging parry-ignoring 1h spammer just to make some breathing room for yourself then it would be useful.

• Pommel bashing in M&B works as such:

If you wield a two-handed weapon closer than you could viably or logically strike, you just smack them upside the head with the pommel for blunt damage. No change in animation, the animation just ends there and goes back to a resting state.

This might stop the whole issue of bastard swords making anything in front of them explode into tiny pieces the moment their sword’s pommel touches the target’s head.

• @giantyak:

What if the defender pommel bashes first….

Then the defender has a opening to attack or catch the enemy off guard.

@Thorendir:

one dude would come close and pommelspam the other would pop kills.

I would suggest that the pommel bash has a one second cool down. This is mainly to catch your enemy off guard. Not to kill them

@CrimsonAvenger:

I would like this if could be used counter the “face hugging” tactic.

This may be a solution to give you space from enemies.

• @Keystone:

Pommel bashing in M&B works as such:

If you wield a two-handed weapon closer than you could viably or logically strike, you just smack them upside the head with the pommel for blunt damage. No change in animation, the animation just ends there and goes back to a resting state.

This might stop the whole issue of bastard swords making anything in front of them explode into tiny pieces the moment their sword’s pommel touches the target’s head.

Agreed

• Wouldn’t it be cool if you could throw a swing at someone and instead of fainting it away you could exchange it for a pummel punch? of course its reach would be very short and its damage not very big, but it could add a lot to fighting.