New game mode/mod, Sea Battles!!

• The title says it, Chivalry on Sea. Chiv ahoy !!!

Each team has different kind of ships waiting to be manned and sail of in their own starting harbor, Mason and Agatha.

All the ships tiers can be manned alone. The bigger the ships the more man needed and the more firepower(ballista’s). The less maneuverability and speed. Each ballista has a restricted range to fire in. So steer the ship strategically to get the max fire rates and out manouvre other ships to avoid damage or entering.

Their are 4 jobs to do on a ship, that all can be done by one team member separately. Of course you can switch job positions once on a ship. But you have to walk to their specific spots to man them.

1. Helm –----------> Steering (optional* depends on wind direction)
    2. Ballista’s --------> Firing, each ballista one man, bigger ships = more ballista’s but slower.
    3. Hoisting --------> Speed depends on wind force (+ optional* wind direction)
    4. Repairing -------> Repair ship damage, more ppl on the repair spot repair ship quicker.

Spawn points could be the ships themselves… I think.

It would work in Team death match mode, but i can imagine CTF and Objective mode as well.

Eventually when succesfull a total makeover into a Pirate MOD !! YARRR !! Although i love knights ;)

Could be a lot of fun!! And it would require good teamwork on a ship to get the best out of it.
    What you think?

• If only TornBanner have like 100+ developers, I’d said this is impossible and doesn’t fit Chivalry that much. Chivalry is heavy focused in Melee rather that ship battle.

I’d rather expect a map about two ship as agatha and mason spawn and make their way to each other’s ship to kill other team.

• @EricFong:

If only TornBanner have like 100+ developers, I’d said this is impossible and doesn’t fit Chivalry that much. Chivalry is heavy focused in Melee rather that ship battle.

I’d rather expect a map about two ship as agatha and mason spawn and make their way to each other’s ship to kill other team.

Someone is going to make this. A lot of demand for it.

I don’t see why you couldn’t start with maybe the OP’s post of ship’s battling each other. Say each team has a fleet with one capital ship. If the smaller attack/guard vessels are defeated for a team, then the opposing team gets to board their ship resulting in a TO type thing to kill the captain and take the ship (OR SINK IT).

• With this made plus the completion of the Bushido mod, my gaming life would be complete.

• Actually this kind of game mode does exist (only then with zeppelins) there are 2 games that have this kind of cooperative multiplayer (air) ship battle.
    Air Buccaneers and Guns of Icarus, check their websites and know what its about. :D

Al I can do to help this MOD get of the ground is building maps. Witch shouldn’t be to hard …… open sea … ;)
    But the main thing is scripting. If scripting was my thing I would be very challenged about this project, because of the many things that could be implemented.
    Stuff like hoisting sails affects the ships speed and sway degree, influenced by wind force and wind direction according the ships course. Ingame this would require the steersman and sail hoister to understand each other.
    How to script entering, and maybe swing over to the other ship to fight it out with the already fantastic chiv melee combat system.

I could go on and on… 8-) And sorry for my bad Englisch…I am Dutch. :)

• I was in the beta for both Air Buccaneers and Guns of Icarus plus I still love the shockwave game

http://www.shockwave.com/gamelanding/gunsoficarus.jsp

But in GoI you can’t hop over and slit the throats of your enemy.
    In Abu, you can but the combat is hardly exciting.

Plus nether games have a traditional sea fairing feel… which is good because the games are extremely unique. all I am saying is I can’t play my piratey music while playing either game.
    Both are still great games don’t get me wrong but I’m talking about a mod with some real big ships more around the battlefield 1942 mod size or bigger!

Well it’s a dream any way and I’ve rambled long enough now…

Also your English is fine, thanks for posting!

• Man that would be cool 8-)
    If only scripting was not so damn hard… :x I can only imagine how hard it is to implement that your character goes the same speed as the ship wile walking on it smoothly …
    Or different kind of ammo on a ballista, normal big arrow or enter hook (when in range).

To make this interesting, the feel of being on a ship must be a immersive experience for instance the swaying of the ship on waves (not necessary visible waves) and according wind force and ship versus wind position. While your character stay’s upright. Water splashes over deck with high speed.

• @boldest:

Man that would be cool 8-)
    If only scripting was not so damn hard… :x I can only imagine how hard it is to implement that your character goes the same speed as the ship wile walking on it smoothly …
    Or different kind of ammo on a ballista, normal big arrow or enter hook (when in range).

To make this interesting, the feel of being on a ship must be a immersive experience for instance the swaying of the ship on waves (not necessary visible waves) and according wind force and ship versus wind position. While your character stay’s upright. Water splashes over deck with high speed.

Minimum requirements for the game just jumped to Intel Core i9001s.

• @ReMixx:

@boldest:

Man that would be cool 8-)

Minimum requirements for the game just jumped to Intel Core i9001s.

Mount and blade wants to do it. Why can’t chivalry.

Total war games do it swaying and all.

• “Yarg- medieval pirates ahoy!!”

I guess if you were to match this new game mode/mod with the period you’d have Vikings v Knights… With that, your 2/3 of the way to recreating the awesome HL2 mod: Pirates, Vikings and Knights (anyone else play that?).

• @sam.ibbitson:

“Yarg- medieval pirates ahoy!!”

I guess if you were to match this new game mode/mod with the period you’d have Vikings v Knights… With that, your 2/3 of the way to recreating the awesome HL2 mod: Pirates, Vikings and Knights (anyone else play that?).

I do, it’s fun since I can shoot Viking and Knight with gun lol

• I think a see battle may be a much more viable idea just for some map like TDM, LTS or CTF. The ships would be locked together, one boarding the other, connected with boarding catwalks and maybe some tarzan-like lianas that would allow to swing oneself either to predefined areas of the enemy ship or with some physical mechanism that would make it aimable so that you could land anywhere on the ship (or in the see behind it:)).

• @sam.ibbitson:

I guess if you were to match this new game mode/mod with the period you’d have Vikings v Knights…

No need to add another faction to make this fit the period; there was a major navel engagement involved in the Battle of Dyrrhachium 1081 (As if a realism based excuse is needed).

Most (hehe) of the art assets and mechanics are already in the game if we stick to the two factions we already have.

Yeah this could be a mod but I hope it is a mode.

Still good luck to Davy Jones who is already working on a Punic Wars based navel battle modhttp://www.chivalrythegame.com/forum … 005#p58707 .