Capture the Flag Draws needs changing…

• The draws don’t really make sense, if a team is leading in the flag capture count at the expiration of the time limit, the team leading should obviously win the match. If a team is down in the count that forces them to CTF in order to draw the game. A draw should not be defined by the time limit but a draw by definition is the result of a game ending in a tie. 1pt vs 1 pt is a tie. There are far to many draws in capture the flag.

• i saw you today in a server.

• Absolutely agree.

• It’s on the list to be reevaluated.

• Agree. This will spice up CTF by making the team decision / balance between capturing and defending more dynamic.

• @Mantrum:

Agree. This will spice up CTF by making the team decision / balance between capturing and defending more dynamic.

On the other hand, this can easily stagnate CTF by making the team decision always “one more cap, let’s turtle” because this will most likely become the optimal strategy.

The only way this wouldn’t be the case was if turtling was somehow disadvantaged, but in Chivalry (and most games) it isn’t. You’ll spawn closer to the battle (which is closer to your base) and you’ll generally have terrain and positional advantages.

I too am a little frustrated when The None Team Wins, but I think I’d rather live with that than with the metagame the other option would encourage.

• I agree with the OP. Also I don’t think “turtling” is this absolutely terrible thing that we must prevent at all costs. The team has done well and been aggressive enough to get the flag more than the other team, why shouldn’t they choose to be defensive? It’s a valid strategy which could backfire on them if the other team is more aggressive and successfully captures the flag again, they have to quickly change back to offensive which isn’t always easy to do.

• So if your up by 1 flag, that could encourage communication between your teammates to choose to defend your lead, however it may also encourage more offensive decisions because if the opposing team captures a flag by committing more forces and ties it then you’ll need to go back on the offensive. Your up by 1, the opposing teams should therefore commit more forces to CTF, you can defend or CTF again to ensure your team stays in the lead.

The way it is now there are far less strategic decisions being made rather players just running back and forth, sometimes it’s only a few players trying to capture the flag. More coordination with your teammates changes the dynamics of the game and the experience is more fun.

• Agree with z0b and cheeseburger. If one team decides to turtle on their lead, the other can in turn commit more resources to offense, meaning a single mistake on the opposing team could turn the tide of the battle. In turn, the defenders might take advantage of that decision, sending a small assault group to capture the losing team’s barely defended flag once again. The number of levels of mind game to this is limited only by the players’ strategic skill.

• I would also suggest that the flag carrier be slowed (or further slowed if he is already) to knight/vanguard movespeed, not to give too much of an advantage to faster classes.

• @sangiu:

I would also suggest that the flag carrier be slowed (or further slowed if he is already) to knight/vanguard movespeed, not to give too much of an advantage to faster classes.

That would severely favor Knights as flag carriers as MAAs already can’t dodge with the flag. Not sure whether that’s a bad thing though. Having the tankiest class carry the objective seems intuitive and realistic/immersive.

• @Mantrum:

@sangiu:

I would also suggest that the flag carrier be slowed (or further slowed if he is already) to knight/vanguard movespeed, not to give too much of an advantage to faster classes.

That would severely favor Knights as flag carriers as MAAs already can’t dodge with the flag. Not sure whether that’s a bad thing though. Having the tankiest class carry the objective seems intuitive and realistic/immersive.

That would be a bad idea to limit the carrier speed, as every player would choose vanguard or knight because of their higher HP. There is already a balance of HP vs mobility in the classes. Yes, archers and MaA run faster with the flag, but they only take one hit to go down, unlike vanguards and knights, and the MaA cannot use dodge. This aspect is correctly balanced for now.