Attacks go-through

• I don’t know if it’s just me but I think that the swing (and any other attack, but it is more relevant with the swing)going through all the bodies like paper is a total non-sense. Whats the point of allowing an attack to make the whole movement even if it encounters 2 or 3 bodies in the trajectory, dealing the same amount of damage to everyone like if he hadn’t touched anything?

I understand that if you swing and chop your enemies head the swing can follow althoug it should not have the same damage. But if you don’t kill the first target hit the attack should stop or reduce the damage the second target gets drastically.

• Realism is not a good basis for competitive game design.

What would reduced damage when hitting multiple targets add to the game?

• @NabsterHax:

Realism is not a good basis for competitive game design.

What would reduced damage when hitting multiple targets add to the game?

We’re nerds and nerds are logical. OP is describing something that is nonsensical. It wouldn’t hurt the game.

It’s as if discovering plot holes in a movie and saying “logical consistency isn’t a good basis for story design.” These absurdities take us out of the game/movie.

• It would only make it much more difficult to get out of a situation in which you are outnumbered.

• It would only make it much more difficult to get out of a situation in which you are outnumbered.

• @Matti:

It would only make it much more difficult to get out of a situation in which you are outnumbered.

^

• If you are in a game of average and above players a solitary player will not gain by having the opportunity to swing through everyone as the average player will block the attack knowing that the swing does go through all the other players about him. So the argument that it would make it harder for a solitary player to evade multiple players is confounded.

A swing passing through multiple players, or phasing through if you will, only serves to make the game look nonsensical.

• @giantyak:

If you are in a game of average and above players a solitary player will not gain by having the opportunity to swing through everyone as the average player will block the attack knowing that the swing does go through all the other players about him. So the argument that it would make it harder for a solitary player to evade multiple players is confounded.

A swing passing through multiple players, or phasing through if you will, only serves to make the game look nonsensical.

It depends on the weapon attack though. Slashes can slice through many targets, but a chopping action should stop at one.

• Well, certainly an interesting point. But as always it is a little bit more complicated - the passing through highly depends on the weapon. A weapon with curved blade can injure many enemies with one swing. As can a heavy sword if wielded in a certain way, but sure doesnt maximize the damage. Of course it is totally preposterous with weapons like a halberd. It would be possible to hurt more people by hitting them with just the point but thats not how the halberd was wielded. It would be impossible to pierce more than one man with it too, however this would be completely possible with a spear or a sword. The maul would hurl its target on the people behind it. Etc.

I think any changes to the system would be extremely complicated because the can’t be universal, they can’t be class dependent (3rd tier spear cannot go through more people, the other two can), they would have to be implemented for each weapon individually.