Duel Server Maps Frustrating & Annoying

• So, I was recently playing duel mode and ended up on the map with a spiraling stairway along the edge of the room and an elevator in the middle. To make things brief, I was winning the first round (MAA/Quarterstaff vs Knight/Warhammer/Shield) but we both ended up getting crushed by the elevator and the kill was awarded to him. So I try to adjust and stick to the stairway in order to avoid another crushing death (pun intended). But as you can imagine my poor MAA’s wet-noodlestaff didn’t fair well against a big beefy knight without the ability to flank or dodge in any direction other than forward or back. I got 2-3 hits off then died to his overwhelming offense.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I know in hindsight I could have played better, used the elevator against my opponent or something, and I understand the thought process of the devs here. At first it sounded really cool, having these 1 on 1 arena with lots of traps and obstacles, sort of like Ridley Scott’s Gladiator (ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?), but it gets very annoying and frustrating quickly. Certain maps seem to favor certain classes and weapon loadouts, and in general they seem to severely limit mobility, which is especially damning for an MAA and, heaven forbid, an archer if any brave soul out there has the courage to even pick one. I feel like you spend too much time worrying about the environment and not enough focused on your enemy. It’s also really, really annoying to have a lot of work in an intense duel that you’re winning crushed (again, pun intended) by a giant wooden lift.

Am I alone on this or does anyone else out there feel similarly?

• Yea, I don’t care for the map much. I took it out of my duel server’s rotation.

• The narrow duel maps are just retarded :/

• To add to my complaints on an unrelated topic, I was just on a fully populated server and when I initiated a vote kick to kick a TKer with a whopping 60% team damage, low and behold, the vote actually failed.

It’s shit like this that really kills this game for me.

• I prefer playing on old ffa duel servers.

• I’ve not really played on the Duel servers, but have watched a lot of vids showing them. (Mainly the TGS dual-a-thon).

While I applaud the variety in the map design, I think a couple of maps with clear, open spaces in the middle would be good. Just a simple version of the Arena with no pit, no rocks etc would be good for people to have a proper contest in. Then add a couple of versions that have open spaces, but bits of cover and other stuff too.

That way if people are wanting to do a straight “contest” they can do it in the open version, with no worries of pillar humping etc heh. I think the majority of the time, people want clear, open spaces to fight in. However it’s nice to see more tactical ones now and then too.

• @BobT36:

Just a simple version of the Arena with no pit, no rocks etc would be good for people to have a proper contest in.

They could simply add the arena map they had in the Alpha version of the game:
    U6MxDh0lMSo

• Heh wow that one must have been from very early Alpha. I was in the Alpha and it had the pit at that time.

But yeah something like that would do, just one or two maps at least, gives people something more competetive to fight it out man-on-man in. I do think variance is important though too, true warriors should be able to fight in any environment.

• Arena_flat has no pit.

Edit: Should have pinned this on General Discussion sooner.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9098

Looking at adding Moor and possibly a variation on Arena -at some point-

• Ahh awesome, is that the one from the vid up there?

If so then yeah, make one or two more sorta like that (just with a different setting), then people should have nothing to complain about. :)

• @BobT36:

Ahh awesome, is that the one from the vid up there?

If so then yeah, make one or two more sorta like that (just with a different setting), then people should have nothing to complain about. :)

Yeah, a lot of people are enjoying most of the duel maps, but the demand is definitely there for some Final Destination-like no frills flat areas. Arena Flat is arena with the pit covered by a wooden platform.

Edit: Alpha arena may be lost to the SVN gods, so no promises there.

• Please do add maps with more open spaces. Playing as man at arms, I would say that about half of my duel losses result from dodging sideways or backwards straight into a pillar, table, wall, etc. I like that they are being creative with maps and stuff, but for gods sake give us some room.

• @Andrew:

@BobT36:

Yeah, a lot of people are enjoying most of the duel maps, but the demand is definitely there for some Final Destination-like no frills flat areas. Arena Flat is arena with the pit covered by a wooden platform.

Ahh yeah, the one used for FFA and so on. That should suffice really, though the Alpha one looks a bit more open and would be a nice variation for Duelling if it still works too.

Heh NO ITEMS, NO POWER UPS, NO IKE, FINAL DESTINATION ONLY.

From what I’ve seen though I do love the design and SETTING of the maps, and hope you keep that sorta focus in the variety of the setting. Duelling in a castle dining room, lumber mill, etc is great. It’s just the actual duelling spaces that needs to be made a bit more open and not have things be in the way, put the fancy stuff around the edge maybe (or have that be in places the players can’t get to) for a couple of new maps.

I think you’d still be able to get the environments looking great, but without the actual clutter being in the middle of the open fighting space.

• @BobT36:

From what I’ve seen though I do love the design and SETTING of the maps, and hope you keep that sorta focus in the variety of the setting. Duelling in a castle dining room, lumber mill, etc is great. It’s just the actual duelling spaces that needs to be made a bit more open and not have things be in the way, put the fancy stuff around the edge maybe (or have that be in places the players can’t get to) for a couple of new maps.

I think you’d still be able to get the environments looking great, but without the actual clutter being in the middle of the open fighting space.

That would be great. The settings are really nice but if u can’t fight in it u can’t recognize it :/

@Andrew:

Arena_flat has no pit.

Edit: Should have pinned this on General Discussion sooner.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9098

Looking at adding Moor and possibly a variation on Arena -at some point-

Yeah!

@BobT36:

Heh wow that one must have been from very early Alpha. I was in the Alpha and it had the pit at that time.

But yeah something like that would do, just one or two maps at least, gives people something more competetive to fight it out man-on-man in. I do think variance is important though too, true warriors should be able to fight in any environment.

The problem is not the “true warrior” or the “tactics” narrow spaces seems to create. It simply favors smaller weapons over big ones and favors shield against a fast moving and dodging maa. The map should simply not dictate the weapon u choose in duel. Obstacles are great in duel maps if the don’t favor some weapons over others.