Blocking against Man at Arms

• The blocking against a MAA swings a nearly impossible. With this in mind those who chose this class in particular can literally just run straight into and swing non-stop without having to worry about being countered. I know i’m not the only one that knows this, and anyone that feels differently are obviously MAA variant players not wishing for their class to be changed so they can have an -unfair- advantage. This class already has a dodge system that was downgraded but still seems a bit unfair due to the speed of the dodge being damn near impossible to see it coming because the character disappears on screen while this action occurs. The main problem is the blocking against the MAA and it needs to be fixed because you cannot block their attacks unless you block instantly when you see them pull back, but if they pull back and feint, you’ve pretty much just blocked for no reason and then here come the maa’s unblockable combos, now you are dead…

• Not to mention, the dodge is more like a teleport 10 feet… I recall reading this is kind of like a combat simulation and i don’t think (teleporting) is very realistic. It takes away the realness feel of this game when you see a maa dashing 10 feet to the left then all of a sudden he’s in your face. Where were the motions? All i see is he was there, now he’s over there, a wait he not over there, now he’s standing over my corpse. Aside from this, i do love this game and thank you Torn Banner and Tom for making the best game ever. I got my best friend to buy and he now loves playing it more than i do, but he feels the same about this topic and i can tell when something needs to be fixed when i hear my friend that says he loves the game one second then (gets pwned by a lvl 10 maa when he’s lvl 30) the next second he says" i hate this game, it is broken". We both love the game and keep up the good work, and thank you for the content update Sir.

• @xBLaaZeR:

The blocking against a MAA swings a nearly impossible.

I use a shield nowadays and yes its very hard. Basically you have to block at a 90 degree angle assuming they are doing a combo facehug.

If kicks weren’t useless against a MAA then you could kick him off - but kicks are only good against shield users now. Certainly I cannot do a shield bash against a MAA once they are LMB spamming and I am flinching.

• Yes, a good MMA is extremely hard to block, especially if he throws in alt attacks and (directional) feints. But the only reason MMAs are so good at this is their movement speed, not their weapons or dodge, in my opinion. A skilled Knight can be almost as hard to block and if you factor in ping differences you need extremely good game sense to know how to turn and where and when to block. To change this, you would have to change the parry system to make parry- and shied block hitboxes more generous or change the way a weapon can only be blocked at its tip - which means the rest of the weapon can simply pass through a shield or parry as if it was nothing.
    It is a matter of preference if this should be changed or not. Personally, I would like a more generous system that makes defensive play easier, relying more on timing and prediction to land hits rather than having the ability to land extremely fast and hard to counter hits from various directions, forcing the defender to spin around like a gyro to be able to block. But that is just my taste.

• As a decent knight user, I feel fear in my gut every time I see a MAA.

• boo…

• The nerfing of the kick speed certainly helped archers and MAA face hug spammers a lot.

• @Magnificent:

As a decent knight user, I feel fear in my gut every time I see a MAA.

You’re seeing the glass half empty… I, however, see it half full and think “oh neat, they’ll die in less hits”.

• Don’t let the MAA face hug you and stay in a group. An MAA is a 1v1 killing machine.

That his advantage don’t let him use it. No nerf is needed. Each class is Just very different.

• @lemonater47:

Don’t let the MAA face hug you and stay in a group. An MAA is a 1v1 killing machine.

That his advantage don’t let him use it. No nerf is needed. Each class is Just very different.

The Knight should be the 1v1 killing machine, if there was to be one. I thought the MAAs was supposed to be support and to take out stragglers? If you look at duel games, MAAs top the charts and it’s just ridiculous. It should at least be balanced but it isn’t right now, with the MAAs facehugging plus small weapon lightning combos that cannot be reliably parried or blocked in this patch.

• @Magnificent:

@lemonater47:

Don’t let the MAA face hug you and stay in a group. An MAA is a 1v1 killing machine.

The Knight should be the 1v1 killing machine, if there was to be one. I thought the MAAs was supposed to be support and to take out stragglers? If you look at duel games, MAAs top the charts and it’s just ridiculous. It should at least be balanced but it isn’t right now, with the MAAs facehugging plus small weapon lightning combos that cannot be reliably parried or blocked in this patch.

No the knight takes all the hits and keeps moving. Can be defensive or offensive.
    The vanguard is to punch through enemy lines and takes on multiple targets.
    The MAA picks a target and murders him in a 1v1.
    And the archer has multiple roles from shooting team mates in the back to actually knowing how to be an archer. Standing on or near he objective shooting for it and being a distraction in melee for you team to kill them as people are stupid. A good archer plays mind games. A bad archer sits miles away missing all the time and not doing much good sniping.

• @lemonater47:

Don’t let the MAA face hug you and stay in a group.

You know every duel when I see a MAA I look around for my friends but they are never around (guess they were too scared).

• It’s hard but not impossible. You really have to turn into the attacks. The advantage is that they don’t expect to get parried and you’ll likely get a free hit. :)

• “The running men” just running all the time around the battlefield hitting all they can see with their fists. Sometimes you are fighting with another knight or vanguard guy, and they run into battle hitting the enemies and friends equally, and then the fight turns into caos.

The problem is when you are equiped with a heavy weapon, because you need to change your weapon to a faster one, and they will kill you while you change your weapon. But if you don’t change your weapon, is very difficult to parry their hits with a heavy hammer, for example, because your parry movement is too slow comparing to their fists attacks.

Sorry for the low level english, I’m not from a english-speaking zone… : )

• MAA is my primary class. It’s all about capitalizing on your opponent’s mistakes. We don’t take advantage of the mechanics or system. I like to use the norse sword, but because its damage sucks with anything other than stab, I mostly just stab (unless I see an opportunity to land a different strike).

This game is all about timing. I have killed countless knights with 4 quick stabs with the norse sword whilst they don’t throw up a single block. If you block the initial strike, more often than not you are forcing the MAA to reset. A good portion of this game is capitalizing on your enemy’s mistakes, not just when you use MAA, but all classes.

• @Skream:

MAA is my primary class. It’s all about capitalizing on your opponent’s mistakes. We don’t take advantage of the mechanics or system. I like to use the norse sword, but because its damage sucks with anything other than stab, I mostly just stab (unless I see an opportunity to land a different strike).

This game is all about timing. I have killed countless knights with 4 quick stabs with the norse sword whilst they don’t throw up a single block. If you block the initial strike, more often than not you are forcing the MAA to reset. A good portion of this game is capitalizing on your enemy’s mistakes, not just when you use MAA, but all classes.

I bet you they were trying to block, it’s just too hard with the slowness of the knight. To a knight, you see the attack coming but just can’t block in time and once the first one hits what can you do but hope they miss an attack in the combo?

The frustrating thing is not losing to a good MaA or Archer, it’s getting face-hugged and LMB spammed by someone and either dying because I missed one block by a pixel or winning but only because I had to use all my skills and tricks to beat someone who’s just spamming left click.

I know this is the case because although I prefer Knight as a class I sometimes go MaA and it’s just heaps easier. All the technique I had to master just to survive as a knight suddenly makes me a killing machine when I switch to MaA. I did this exact thing last night- struggling against too experienced and higher ranked MaAs but managing some kills as a Knight and then switched to MaAs, killed both in a 1v2, then continued to dominate at least one of them.

I know it’s not going to happen but I’d love to see a grapple or trip mechanic for those who get too close. That would at least reward skilled play and force MaAs and Archers in melee to move in and out rather than just facehug.

• Since kick speed was nerfed archers and MAA face huggers rejoiced. I’ve switched to MAA and tried the tactic, it works and is unsatisfying to kill someone with lmb face hugging spam.

• I dont mind anything to maa speed, rlly this class is all about speed, but we should be able to “normal” block theirs attacks. This one thing would surelly bring back some balance in to this game.

• I pretty much main MaA and I have to admit, I’ve never gone out of my way to use the facehug tactic.

I’m more nervous the closer I am to enemies and I prefer to quickly dart in and score a hit/kill then get out again. I try to end fights quickly and overwhelm people with overheads + quick stabs. I rarely use slash anymore except when faced with more than one target or I’m trying to go around a piece of terrain.

Because from what I’ve found, if I’m face hugging an enemy, this just means their weapon will hit me sooner and I will die quicker.

Face hugging really only works if you catch someone by surprise and attack them from the side/rear.

I’ve only seen a few players who legitimately just W+M1 into someones face but those guys were primarily feint spamming Knights/Vanguards.

• @Slaughtervomit:

@Magnificent:

As a decent knight user, I feel fear in my gut every time I see a MAA.

You’re seeing the glass half empty… I, however, see it half full and think “oh neat, they’ll die in less hits”.

Bingo.