Stopping the cart

• I just finished a game where you had to stop a bomb cart. I noticed in other games there was an obvious balance to how to defend: kill the other team faster, stop people from getting torches, etc. But with the cart, it moved no matter what as long as the attacking team was near it. In other words, as long as they threw bodies at it, it moves. There is no real way to STOP the cart. All it takes to win is a steady stream of bodies.

Perhaps a way to destroy the cart should be added, or a way to push the cart backwards.

• Are you sure? It seemed to me, that if I were near the cart while it was overrun by defensive players, it wouldn’t move. Then again, I was a bit preoccupied at the time, so I may have imagined it.

• Always been that way but its balanced because they have a long way to run once the bomb cart gets close to the gates.

• Not to mention once they get the cart close to its final goal they have people that spawn on their backs if they succeed to get close to the carts destination

• Actually, the cart will only move if there are more attackers around it than defenders, so if you just leave two people on the cart a lone attacker can’t budge it.

• @SlyGoat:

Actually, the cart will only move if there are more attackers around it than defenders, so if you just leave two people on the cart a lone attacker can’t budge it.

I can confirm this. It performs a check for it every second. So there is a slight delay to when it stops, but nothing unfair, with a second, more defenders will halt the attacker if there are more.

• Thanks for letting us know the exact mechanics.

Moving the bomb cart all the way to the castle gate is one of the hardest objectives on any map by the way.

• @Dr:

Thanks for letting us know the exact mechanics.

Moving the bomb cart all the way to the castle gate is one of the hardest objectives on any map by the way.

There’s a tipping point. If you can get it past that point you can win. If you take the fight to the cart you can win.

Most idiots find the first person to kill and end up dying before they get to the cart.

• @Dr:

Thanks for letting us know the exact mechanics.

Have you played Citadel as Agatha?

• @lemonater47:

Most idiots find the first person to kill and end up dying before they get to the cart.

This sums it up. At every TO game i take part 70% of the players are just killing each other like it would be TDM. Almost noone thinks about what would be best for the objective.

@gregcau:

Have you played Citadel as Agatha?

I also would call the first agatha objective on citadel to be the hardest one in the game ( assuming both teams are about equally skilled), but once you have done this the rest of the map is too easy.

• The objectives to push mobile elements across the map is always in favor of the attackers (e.g. the pushers), by design of objective flow. Even if the attackers succeed in pushing the cart, or completing the objective, it doesn’t mean they won the whole set. Meanwhile, the defenders just have to win one objective to win the game. If the defenders could stop the cart, or even reverse it, that would be favoring them. One example of that is the Hillside, where the pyre can be extinguished or the trebuchets can be reset. I often see the defending side winning these objectives, because they can reverse or nullify the efforts of the attacking party.

The mechanic of cart pushing, or objective progression as a whole, serves as a balance between attackers and defenders, while favoring the progression of objectives through the end, which is usually a standoff type. The only exception to that is the Citadel, where the first objective is clearly favoring the defenders. Still, I have seen a few game of Battlegrounds and Dark Forest where defenders have won, so it’s clearly not impossible for them to prevents attackers from getting near the cart.