Falchion Blocking

• Hello i just had some questions regarding the Falchion. I have noticed quite often when dueling or simply fighting a Falchion user the model for it is wrong. I and others I know have personally felt as though their block versus this weapon’s swing should have been successful. I have a video showing how insane this is;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK0KwR8qBlo

I was curious if this will be fixed to be like blocking the other swords or if it will remain the same because I feel at the moment it is the hardest weapon to defend against.

• The “block at the tip” suggestion is optional for many weapons - if you are close, blocking at the middle of the blade or just past the hilt is sufficient. Some weapons, however, have hittraces that angle just magically right and will hit you before they connect with a parry that is aimed at their hilt/middle. The falchion is one such beast - and it has a very fast and very lethal slash, making its difficult to block attacks absolutely worth spamming.

It might also have some genuine phantom reach, I’m not sure.

• I personally view it as a perk of the weapon.

It is possible to block it reliably, just hard and a bit counter-intuitive.

• I agree with all you guys have said however i feel its imbalanced. The weapon is already good with being the only sword to 3 shot knights, I just feel as though they should fix this i really do not understand WHY this weapon is the way it is, or why they would make such an odd thing.

• @Pitchfork:

I agree with all you guys have said however i feel its imbalanced. The weapon is already good with being the only sword to 3 shot knights, I just feel as though they should fix this i really do not understand WHY this weapon is the way it is, or why they would make such an odd thing.

It’s possible to 3 shot knight with norse sword and broadsword.

Falchion is fine. That video of yours is no proof simply because you don’t have to turn that much to block falchion yet you can do it for no purpose really.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

It’s possible to 3 shot knight with norse sword and broadsword.

Falchion is fine. That video of yours is no proof simply because you don’t have to turn that much to block falchion yet you can do it for no purpose really.

This is mostly correct. The video doesn’t prove anything. We need a video that tests multiple attacks parried at different points.

I’m not sure if the Falchion (or the Dane Axe, for that matter) is fine. I’ve experienced the same oddness that other people talk about. But there’s just no hard evidence to support it.

• The way you’re blocking that blow is how I have to block most good players using any fast single handed weapon when I’m using a shield.

For example last night I was in a TO and the other team had two highly ranked players both of who were MaAs with single handed weapons and I was a knight with a shield and messer. They were cleaning us up near the spawn and I was able to block both of them with my kite shield and take out one. The other ran off as reinforcements came and said they were very impressed I was able to survive. Later on I was getting killed over and over by the same two and I changed to MaA with a falchion and quickly took both out. They then said how hard it was to block the falchion and how you have to turn 90 degrees to parry. I responded the same as above “that’s what I have to do almost all the time with a shield”.

I’m not sure if it’s just a buggy shield issue or the fact that when people see you with a shield they automatically start swinging around your flanks to get around the shield, forcing you to turn more to block. Funnily enough if they were to attack someone without a shield like that it would probably make it really hard for the person to parry.

• I got onto the forum today to post about this. Its not just the falchion. Since the last update it feels like many 1 hand weapon slash combos are much more difficult to block than before, and to an imbalanced degree. Its easy to get slashed to death now by 1 handers.

• Glad to see i am not the only one feeling this. I just feel like they should atleast make the weapon’s model accurate instead of getting hit by “ghost reach” or just lmbs that should not hit

• Very nice and instructive video, happens to me all the time. I doubt its only a scimitar’s problem, I think it’s a general facehugging issue with shorter weapons.

• I never have trouble blocking the falchion or any other weapon.
    And to those of you who call facehuging a problem, stop being so casual. When someone is close, their arm extends behind you thus you have to turn to block. It’s simple, just don’t be lazy when blocking.

• No.
    You still have to turn way then you should, the “point in the middle of your screen” doesn’t really work anymore.

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

No.
    You still have to turn way then you should, the “point in the middle of your screen” doesn’t really work anymore.

To hung up on speculations as how to block properly and so on, stop bullshiting and go back to practising the game. Most times when you get hit its because the weapon hits your hand/arm that you are trying to parry with because you don’t turn enough. People seem to forget that the arm is a valid target as well, this is why the alt-slashes seem so much more difficult to block than normal ones, because you need to protect your arm.

• Okay I am with Eleshar on this ON CERTAIN WEAPONS. I think its really rude and uncalled for to call someone bullshitting on the forums for stating their opinion for the fact it differs from yours.

With that being said i feel as though enough people have problems with the falchion and certain other weapons that there is a problem to SOME degree and what that degree would be is very arguable. I would love to know why this weapon performs this way and if they intend to change it.

• I do find some weapons a bit more challenging to parry at times… The warhammer, dane axe, and morning star are some 1h weapons that you have to look pretty far at the tip to parry… The bardich, maul, and bearded axe are a few examples of some 2h weapons that you have to look a bit farther out to parry… I find 2h swords a bit easier to parry than most weapons, but I like how they feel when I use them myself.

• The falchion is alright IMO, it isn’t that tough to parry from my experience. It’s really poor reach makes up for it’s strength in damage. The problem is probably just because most facehug lmb’s are slightly tougher to deal with with weapons as fast as the falchion. The morning star on the other hand, requires a massive turn when being facehug lmb’d, but that is “balanced” by how slow it is.

Honestly one of the weapons with the biggest issues when it comes to parrying is the dane axe, because not only is the lmb pretty difficult to parry, but even it’s overhead has “ghost reach” especially so when executing parry-counterattack look-down overheads. It’s insane. I use this weapon on a regular basis and it tears apart most defensive players and anyone who doesn’t feint. When I myself face it, sometimes I can actually see the edge of the axe at least 10cm infront of me pass by yet it connects fully when enemies overhead with it, and again, especially so when it’s a look-down counterattack. Saying the hitbox is “deceptive” doesn’t make sense, since the weapon should act logical even if it is fast. I don’t have a lot of personal experience or testing parrying dane axes since I mostly play MAA and simply dodge out of it, but the times that I do try parry it, it proves very difficult.

• How can any of you support the falchion when you’ve seen that video where the guy has to literally turn 150 degrees to block a falchion slash?

That video alone shows not just how broken the falchion can be, but all weapons that have a difficult weapon tip to look at.

• @DokB:

How can any of you support the falchion when you’ve seen that video where the guy has to literally turn 150 degrees to block a falchion slash?

That video alone shows not just how broken the falchion can be, but all weapons that have a difficult weapon tip to look at.

No, it doesn’t. It was one attack. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again; the only thing that video proves is the Falchion is too forgiving to parry, because we don’t know how close you can be looking at the player to parry it. It hasn’t been tested.

Once you do a video testing 5+ attempted parries at the Falchion, all looking at different points from the weapon model, sure, I’ll believe you.

Martin did a test like that with the Halberd. That’s objective evidence.

• @DokB:

How can any of you support the falchion when you’ve seen that video where the guy has to literally turn 150 degrees to block a falchion slash?

I have to agree here despite what we all may argue is “proof” or “evidence” the fact remains that there is a balance issue SOMEWHERE in blocking OR weapon models. I feel as though multiple other players have felt they have blocked the Falchion but it still hit.

I feel like hits model is more supportive of that of an axe compared to the sword which it is supposed to be. And that is fine that its shaped that way but atleast show the model correctly because these ghost hits are just lame espically in dueling it REALLY shows.

The video to me proves the weapon is odd. I do not feel as though it shows that its easier to parry but rather the latter. If ANYTHING the weapon shows it is different then how it looks. Which is my intended use of the video.

This interpreted truth is simply noted as DIFFERENT and i feel it should not be that way because it IS imbalanced.

• @Pitchfork:

I have to agree here despite what we all may argue is “proof” or “evidence” the fact remains that there is a balance issue SOMEWHERE in blocking OR weapon models. I feel as though multiple other players have felt they have blocked the Falchion but it still hit.

I feel like hits model is more supportive of that of an axe compared to the sword which it is supposed to be. And that is fine that its shaped that way but atleast show the model correctly because these ghost hits are just lame espically in dueling it REALLY shows.

The video to me proves the weapon is odd. I do not feel as though it shows that its easier to parry but rather the latter. If ANYTHING the weapon shows it is different then how it looks. Which is my intended use of the video.

This interpreted truth is simply noted as DIFFERENT and i feel it should not be that way because it IS imbalanced.

I must re-iterate that personally, I agree with the sentiment that the Falchion seems odd. I too get experiences where I “should have parried that” but didn’t. But this is probably the cause of confirmation bias, and I suspect others are the same way.

I’d also like to point out a trend in your (and other people’s) post: I keep seeing “I feel” in them. I feel the Falchion is odd. I feel it has a longer reach than it should. And so on. These are all subjective accounts. There’s just no hard evidence to prove there’s something wrong with the Falchion.

We really do need a video that thoroughly examines the Falchion. Then we can put it to rest. And I hope it proves right the notion that the Falchion is somehow broken, so that I haven’t been imagining things all along.