WTF happened to the hit detection in the game?

• How long was the patch in beta?

• signed* hope they fix it

• @MUSASHI:

How long was the patch in beta?

For a good few months, one or two I think.

• I think lag is a big part of it. This game severely depends on ping. Even if you have 60 and the guy you’re fighting has 20, he has an advantage, because EVERYTHING in this game is about timing.

I have never seen my strike go through someone and not cause damage. At least not that I can recall. When I’m lagging, stupid and confusing stuff happens all the time, but that’s because I’m lagging, not because of something wrong with the game mechanics.

• @Skream:

I think lag is a big part of it. This game severely depends on ping. Even if you have 60 and the guy you’re fighting has 20, he has an advantage, because EVERYTHING in this game is about timing.

I have never seen my strike go through someone and not cause damage. At least not that I can recall. When I’m lagging, stupid and confusing stuff happens all the time, but that’s because I’m lagging, not because of something wrong with the game mechanics.

Ping isn’t that bad. If he has 20 and you have 60, there honestly isn’t that much difference nor is there a moment where you say “If I had the same ping as him, I would have won”.

That only starts to come into effect around the 100+ pings.

I find FPS has gone down though.

• Nothing has changed for me.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Nothing have HAS changed for me.

Well good for you…… The majority of us have noticed many negative aspects about the update, this one being the worst.

Sadly ping maybe an issue but it shouldn’t be with anyone under 150 as that is the normal latency range for playability. But the way this engine deals with with it as well as FPS and many other things I believe the net coding is most likely the issue in trying to cram more information about player and weapon positions and timing in far less time and smaller pipelines, thus info packets get dropped and swings and parries get ignored.

An example of this is (and you can try this at home) to create a game with stonehill and some bots. Go run by a fire pit and pick up the torches and light buildings on fire, hop in and out of the catapult. What you will notice right away is that you can do these the first time you hit the “E” button as fast as you hit it. Now hop in an online game of the same map and try and do the same thing. Standing still, next to the fire pit, it usually takes me 3-4 times hitting the “E” button to pick up a torch, forget about trying to run by and pick it up. The same is true with trying to get on and off a catapult or ballista. It usually takes me 3-4 tries to mount one, or I have to wait for the sign to press “E” to show up. This is not true when you create a game and your ping is zero. This has always been the case of this game and the problems with using the “E” key but now it has effected combat even more so.

• I probably don’t have even close to 600 hours spent on this game, however from the early days i started playing this game, i noticed netcode is terrible.

Soo much delays, desync, no register, weird snapshots, dropped packets…

Game simply “lags”, no matter whether one has 20 ms or 70 ms ping. You can host with high end machine on 100 mbit/s connection and your neighbour who is sitting in same room on another machine will lag. This game lags even playing over LAN with < 5 ms ping. But hey, we got new maps and weapons, right? :| :?

• I occasionally see swings go straight through people but certainly not 30% of the time. I usually attribute it to lag or maybe the server is struggling. (I’m only level 28 but have still put some a fair bit of time into this game recently). I try and only play on servers where I have <50 ping and it seems to be ok until I’m near a laggy players.

It seems far worse for some people than others, the only thing that can fix it is optimising the code.

Also I think there is a problem with hit boxes sometimes, especially with shields.

• I have noticed some wonkyness with potebtially hitboxes; I say potentially because I don’t know for sure, but I do play with 30-50 ping so I doubt that’s an issue. Before l2p calls I have well over 200 hours in and I am somewhat familiar with the game.

• I find the opposite to be true, where often I will parry the animation which will ghost through me, only for the hit tracer to follow afterwards. Or sometimes the hit tracer is in front of the animation instead. I’m sure it has to do with accelerating and delaying swings, but it doesn’t happen that often, so I don’t know what’s up with that.

• Yeah, I’ve seen my stab go through the enemy but they don’t take any damage.

Note: 40-60 ping, so yup. Bug.

• @Retsnom:

Wow, really, what happened? The patch seems to be the culprit but what was changed? I am very sure I am not alone in witnessing this where your stabs and swings go right through the enemies model and there is no hit detection. This appears to also be the effect of the parries and blocks not working properly either.

While there are videos of parrying an attack while not even facing the enemy, it appears that this doesn’t work as well in actual combat when players are moving and circling each other. There are many threads about the parry/block not working after the patch. I am adding to this standard complain about the parry not working by saying that the hit detection seems to be way off as well.

If it wasn’t bad enough that the halberd got super nerfed, now I cannot tell you how many times I see the head of the weapon go right through or into the enemy and do no damage. I would estimate that 30%+ of my attacks do not register and about 50% or more of my parries and blocks totally fail. Both my KDR and accuracy ratings are down the crapper as many have posted as well.

Now before you go and say “get some skills” or something retarded like that. I am a rank 44 with over 600+ hours in game and years playing AOC. I think I would be more than qualified to report accurately what I am witnessing. Many others, in game, have the same complaint or others say “I don’t know how I survived that” or I don’t know how that didn’t kill me" as they saw a weapon go right through them.

I am not sure if these patch changes have now flooded an already crappy net code with more info than most systems can handle, thus dropping packets both up and down. Is there any rate settings that can be tweaked to help with this? Or do we just remain frustrated and raging?

• @Retsnom:

An example of this is (and you can try this at home) to create a game with stonehill and some bots. Go run by a fire pit and pick up the torches and light buildings on fire, hop in and out of the catapult. What you will notice right away is that you can do these the first time you hit the “E” button as fast as you hit it. Now hop in an online game of the same map and try and do the same thing. Standing still, next to the fire pit, it usually takes me 3-4 times hitting the “E” button to pick up a torch, forget about trying to run by and pick it up. The same is true with trying to get on and off a catapult or ballista. It usually takes me 3-4 tries to mount one, or I have to wait for the sign to press “E” to show up. This is not true when you create a game and your ping is zero. This has always been the case of this game and the problems with using the “E” key but now it has effected combat even more so.

This is a very good observation. I thought that this is caused by wonky key input coding, but it might be dropped packets after all.

• I almost never block anymore, since like 20% of the time their weapon goes straight through my aimed block. I just dodge backwards constantly and try to avoid getting hit as MAA instead of even attempting to block. Also, I have noticed that stab and overhead hit detection have definitely changed since the patch. Many many times I have stabbed someone right in the torso and it just doesn’t register at all, then I die because their swing wasn’t interrupted or anything.

edit: oh yes another thing that has been horrible since patch is ghost swing animations. a large portion of the time when i successfully hit somebody while they are winding up a strike, their strike animation will continue and go straight through me, doing no damage. this is really frustrating because it is like an automatic feint built into the game, I instinctively block the swing coming at me to no effect, and then a real attack from the other player comes right after it and there is nothing I can do. and because it is so difficult to tell if you interrupted them or not since the animation is still going, if you automatically ignore the animation coming at you it could always be a real one.

• Good, an active topic about this. :)

I’ll say it’s the net code.

edit: What’s even more bothersome is there’s little if not any response to this from TBS. :|

• It works fine for me. I still see the occasional bug where flinching someone interrupts their attack but the animation still plays. That’s a known bug and will be fixed.

One person that I encountered with an animation out of sync issue turned out to be speedhacking - he cranked it up later to show off. Banned. lols.

• @ReMixx:

It works fine for me. I still see the occasional bug where flinching someone interrupts their attack but the animation still plays. That’s a known bug and will be fixed.

One person that I encountered with an animation out of sync issue turned out to be speedhacking - he cranked it up later to show off. Banned. lols.

Glad it works “fine” for you but 3 pages of agreement and many other threads say otherwise.

• Agreeing with OP here. Throw my opinion onto the “Please make a fix patch” bonfire in hopes that the devs notice the fiery blaze.

• Developer

There was nothing that intentionally changed that would/should have effected this. If you are experiencing issues we don’t know why and don’t have solid stats from anyone to say in what way it is different. It’s very difficult to debug or look into as a result. It’s on our radar, but hard to comment on at the moment because we can’t determine what could have caused any changes.