TO - No attacker respawns after objective time limit reached

• Instead of the round suddenly ending when the time limit ends, how about instead the attackers just get no more respawns after the time limit?

So rather than it simply ending in the middle of a fight and everyone just stops and stands still because the time ran out, it ends when the attackers are all dead.

It might feel like a more realistic end to a battle and could offer a last ditch overtime attempt. :)

• That would be indeed very interesting, and not that hard to implement, since it’s a similar mechanic to the end of TDM. I’ve always wanted to try the mechanic of TDM applied to TO. Better make a thread for it.

Also, what would happens if, after the timer, the remaining player, or players, would get the objective? Everyone respawns, or you just continue with the one that were left? I assume the attackers would not get the time bonus, which would be fair.

• I would have presumed the next objective would start a new timer and a new wave of respawns. ;)

• Hmmm could be interesting actually, give quite a tense, “It’s all up to you!” feeling.

• People could get bored And leave.

Many don’t like The waiting around dead in LTS. Why would they like waiting around in TO as well?

• @lemonater47:

People could get bored And leave.

Many don’t like The waiting around dead in LTS. Why would they like waiting around in TO as well?

Well there is that possible side to it although it wouldn’t be as frequent as the waiting around you potentially get in LTS.

Maybe if this last stand overtime was a server option? I guess an overtime time limit might be a necessity in case the attackers’ last player is a camping archer or something. :P

• I support it.

Actually I would prefer nearly everything to an abrupt end of a round :P

• I support this as well.

This would exclude those nasty situations where the defenders are just barely saved by the clock and give the mode a more organic feel, which is especially important for Team Objective because it is the mode with the most atmosphere and the most context. “All attackers are dead, attack repelled” would just be much more smooth than “everyone just freeze, time is over”.

PS: Maybe a respawn-limited Objective Mode like the “rush” mode in Battlefield would also be worth a shot. Defenders get unlimited respawns, attackers get a limit (but maybe a numerial advantage) and the defenders need to hold off the attack until the attackers run out of respawns.

• I support this , really cool idea.

It gives a more immersive feeling to the defenders that they crushed the last soldiers of the army.

And it also removes that annoying moment when you are a inch away from completing the map and the game just insta-stops because the timer ran out.

• I like this idea, but the objective times might have to be rebalanced.

• @lemonater47:

People could get bored And leave.

Although the idea is interesting I think this would be right. One of the great advantages of TO versus LTS is that you are back into the action every 8 seconds on average.

It could be minutes before the last person finishes up and rarely has any chance at all of completing the objective.

Besides there is a time limit for a reason. Either you can do it or you cant.

• @gregcau:

Besides there is a time limit for a reason. Either you can do it or you cant.

The time limit would still be applied, but at the end of it, no respawns would occur. Depending on the strategy of the attacking party, I doubt the fight would go on longer than 2-4 minutes. Granted, some players would leave because people these days lack patience, but I’ve seen players leaving LTS games because they died too soon and didn’t want to wait for the round to end (1-2 minute), so some people are already impatient as it is.

• Definite support for this, again.

Just make it a server side option and all’s good.

• I still don’t understand why overtime isn’t already implemented if the attacking team is on the cart/objective?

• Nope. I stay away from LTS to avoid the “Watch the last straggler hide and camp for two minutes while the winning team tks each other out of boredom” phenomenon. I don’t want to see this shit happen in TO.

Overtime? Sure. If the objective is currently in the process of being completed, the game shouldn’t abruptly end. But not this.

• Not a bad idea, but it should not enable the attacking team to win anyway.

Say in battlegrounds, after the countdown the “ram” could explode alone in the middle of the battleground. (only an example)

Anyway, it’s not like in LTS. I would definitely encourage the autobalance to be set off past that time, and you could help dealing with your former teammates :)

And this would bring in a little more time to “debrief” the map, I often find the time left too short to comment on that freaking good catapult man or on the noobance of my team :D

But this should absolutely not bring in the TDM’s “everyone is dead but the game does not end” bug :?

• Depending on the objective, the round should definitely go into overtime if the offensive team is still active on it. If there’s not enough time for the cart to get to the last objective, then the game is already over. Anything you do past that point is for nothing. I’ve seen the defending team win after the cart reached the objective because the timer ran out during the cart finishing animation. That should not happen.

• @NikolaiLev:

Nope. I stay away from LTS to avoid the “Watch the last straggler hide and camp for two minutes while the winning team tks each other out of boredom” phenomenon. I don’t want to see this shit happen in TO.

Overtime? Sure. If the objective is currently in the process of being completed, the game shouldn’t abruptly end. But not this.

I guess there would need to be an objective “zone” then.

Like the last stage of Darkforest I would probably make the whole Agatha area of the map (from where the fence starts after the tree-bridge) as the objective zone. No attacker respawns after the main timer ends but if nobody is in that objective zone during overtime then it can end anyway.