Polearm alternate overhead

• Almost every time I try to pull off a combo or alt-overhead with polearms I get punished. It’s gotten so bad that I try to completly avoid it (exept in very rare occasions in duel mode, e.g. when facing someone with a small shield).
    Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like it’s not a suprising swing, it surely is. Only few people see it and try to block it.
    I almost never hit with it. It has a very poor windup/damage ratio, the swing is very fast through the screen. This makes it very hard to redirect it.
    But the real problem is that it feels like it has poor reach. Enemys just seem to get away fine where a regular overhead would hit.

It’s also not that I don’t kill a lot with it, I also seem to get not killed by it.

My solution: Just a tiny bit more reach.

Anyone else seeing the same problem, or do you think the lower swing is okay?

• @Atanar:

Almost every time I try to pull off a combo or alt-overhead with polearms I get punished. It’s gotten so bad that I try to completly avoid it (exept in very rare occasions in duel mode, e.g. when facing someone with a small shield).
    Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like it’s not a suprising swing, it surely is. Only few people see it and try to block it.
    I almost never hit with it. It has a very poor windup/damage ratio, the swing is very fast through the screen. This makes it very hard to redirect it.
    But the real problem is that it feels like it has poor reach. Enemys just seem to get away fine where a regular overhead would hit.

It’s also not that I don’t kill a lot with it, I also seem to get not killed by it.

I used to play vanguard very effectivly with spear, halberd, bardiche and brandistock. After the update I tried too. Now after a few weeks, I switched to Maa. The moving speed is just rediculos I almost never get hit with a 2h weapon in a 1vs1 situation and I dont even dodge and only parry once in a while. Have u played the polearms before the update? They were much more balanced (halberd excluded). Also 1h and 2h weapon reach seem to be messed up and closer together then before the update.

• @Atanar:

Almost every time I try to pull off a combo or alt-overhead with polearms I get punished. It’s gotten so bad that I try to completly avoid it (exept in very rare occasions in duel mode, e.g. when facing someone with a small shield).

I absolutely hate the ‘underhead’ alternate overhead of polearms. It does the same damage as a normal overhead but the problem is that it can tend to hit people’s feet first given the initial low swing of the attack which means less damage dealt.

Really annoys me when my bardiche’s alternate overhead hits a knight’s feet and I end up having to an extra swing to finish them.
    Also accelerating swings is much much more reliable and easier with a lookdown overhead than a lookup alternate overhead.

Lastly, good luck trying to land a headshot with the alternate overhead. I avoid the attack as much as I can.

• @Sir:

Also accelerating swings is much much more reliable and easier with a lookdown overhead than a lookup alternate overhead.

The problem there is that you move your upper body away, getting even less range.
    @Sir:

I avoid the attack as much as I can.

Me too. I which the other overhead back. :(
    I also forgot to mention that you hit the environment a lot more often with it, rendering it even more useless.

• I like the alt overheads on the polearms. Made some nice kills with them.

• @Atanar:

I also forgot to mention that you hit the environment a lot more often with it, rendering it even more useless.

Yeah the alternate overhead’s swing is much more off centered than a normal one and is easy to hit terrain if theres a nearby wall to your left.
    Which reminds me, alternate overhead while crouching tends to hit the ground immediately as well.

• Alternate polearm overhead + look at the sky is a reverse lookdown overhead, and you might hit the body instead of the legs, which deals 20% more damage. You could also try jumping with it too.

• I find it in its current state simply inferior to a sword alternate overhead.

Alternate flips the side which can help getting around shields while strafing (just like the sword), however it has the range disadvantage that swords alternate attacks do not have, while you have no additional advantage of it being from below.
    People do not see it coming, but they do not need to. As long as you block (height for some reason has no matter in this) correctly horizontally you will block the underhand of the polearms.
    I tried using it in combination with crouch to see whether maybe then it will go below shields or parries, but this also had no additional effect.

So it has the range disadvantage (and hitting feet first) while it has no vertical advantage because there is no need to block down to the attack to parry it. While the overhead can actually go over parries from up close, the underhand doesn’t seem to do be able to do this from below.

This attack would have a nice niche if the parry hitbox would be smaller and there actually is a need to block down. Now it has the horizontal advantage like the sword alternate attack but not the vertical advantage and a disadvantage to range.

• But if there was no reverse overhead, how could we play decapitation golf? :(

• haha good one

• @sirsmokealot:

I like the alt overheads on the polearms. Made some nice kills with them.

Really skilled duelists see it coming, but they almost always land on everyone else. Great for mindgames, and I haven’t had problems hitting torso/head reliably.