MAA Dodge back glitch?

• @kwazi:

I’ve seen dodges where my opponent would dodge but didn’t actually go anywhere. It looks like it happens when you dodge during/near the end of your release so either combofeint + dodge or just go into recovery and dodge.

So you are saying I dodged when I attacked? Hmm, that might make sense. Maybe I dodged after an attack. Though I swear this happens sometimes when I’m on full on defensive “get out of his next attack with a dodge” mode yet it happens to me (this case mostly when I’m getting bum rushed by multiple opponents). But your suggestion makes sense that it may be I am just dodging prematurely while I am still post-swing animation.

@DokB:

If you dodge backwards into a bit of terrain, maybe like a rock on the ground, or sometimes even a not well meshed slope or hill, then it can stop your dodge where you connect and you won’t really go anywhere.

Can be annoying if you don’t know where every little detail of a map where you can get stuck on.

If you get caught on the terrain then it won’t use the full dodge distance and you’ll simply stop and won’t go anywhere.

I think I can say pretty safely that I am definitely not dodging into pieces of terrain because I actually visually see my character dodging the full distance backwards, and then get pulled back in as if I did not dodge yet pay the stamina cost for dodging.

• Happens to me a lot of the time as well. Possibly a lag issue. When I ask the other guy if I dodged they usually say no.

It’s definitely not the same as the terrain glitch where dodging on certain terrain simply does nothing.

• From my experience as an observer (watching my brother play MAA), this seems to occur when you dodge down or up a slope of some sort. Such as on the bridge in that duel map with the wagons on either side or the sloped edge of the raised platform in the middle of the arena stage (not the one with the pit).

I’ve seen the bug (I guess it’s a bug) manifest in a few ways. Sometimes it looks like your dodge was successful and you warp back like you guys described. Other times your character dodges, loses the stamina, but either doesn’t move or moves very little.

It always kills me to get a kill because of this, because I know they were playing correctly -_-

• As other players have mentioned, tiny obstacles or bad terrain meshing can cause your dodge to just stop midway. However in your case, it seems to be lag. You say that you see your character dodge backward, then you see him warp back forward, to be hit by your enemy. That seems like lag correction, i.e. you dodge back, but your enemy swung, and connected to your character, so the server readjusts your position (warps you forward) to correlate the hit confirmation. Even tiny lag can cause this, and I personally don’t trust the ping numbers on the scoreboard: there’s lag when I experience it, not when a number tells me there’s lag.

• It’s probably related in some way to those ghost swings you sometimes see after you flinched someone. Game’s netcode is pretty wonky at some points.

• Yeah, this has happened to me before. It’s likely a terrain thing, as others have mentioned.

• To prove it isn’t terrain related, I have linked a video recently posted by Shara, with what is pretty much exactly what I experience. Since this is a tourney, pings should be as optimal as possible. Yet this issue happens. As you can see the knight is barely in the windup stage of the stab, it isn’t a counterattack, yet Shara’s dodge is completely negated for some reason. Anyone enlighten me please?

• I think there’s some weird networking stuff that can make failed dodges seem even worse. I saw a player dodge back into a fire and simply not dodge very far. But they claimed that the fire actually bounced them back into my swing. So maybe on the client side, the camera will seem like it dodges all the way, but then catch up to what actually happens and warp the player forward to their shorter dodge.

• @c4ndlejack:

I think there’s some weird networking stuff that can make failed dodges seem even worse. I saw a player dodge back into a fire and simply not dodge very far. But they claimed that the fire actually bounced them back into my swing. So maybe on the client side, the camera will seem like it dodges all the way, but then catch up to what actually happens and warp the player forward to their shorter dodge.

This seems to be the case. I wouldn’t think most of my failed dodges were lag-induced (as that’d mean I encounter lag far more than I should). It’s a camera bug.

• Had this happen a bunch. I have even dodged under the map in saw mill and appeared again right were I was.

• Whats garbage is that dodge “whiffs” at random now, rather than just when trying to dodge up or down a slope(pre patch.) Just another thing to the pile.