Arrow Speed Question

• Is there a difference between the arrow speed on the different bows? I’ve noticed the shortbow has considerable more drop than say the warbow for instance at long ranges but it is difficult to tell if the arrows actually move slower or not. I’m asking because the other day I was alternating between the two bows and I felt like my accuracy was pretty off the entire day. If the arrows fly at different speeds then maybe it had something to do with that and it just being difficult for me to adjust between the two.

• As a veteran archer i can confidently answer YES!

The bows:crossbow, light crossbow, heavy crossbow,warbow, and shortbow all have consistent speeds

(idk about javs)

The longbow is a variable weapon the longer you hold it back the more damage and speed your arrow has

So you basically cant wing arrows off like nuts with it effectively it is best used at long distance i have found where the warbow excelled in both

You can Learn any bow well in the create game objective with the peasants as targets!

Good hunting!

• If the dropoff is a big problem for you, give crossbows a shot. I had a hard time with them at first, but now I play crossbow almost exclusively.

• @Slaughtervomit:

If the dropoff is a big problem for you, give crossbows a shot. I had a hard time with them at first, but now I play crossbow almost exclusively.

I always aim too high with the heavy crossbow. That is the only aniper like weapon in the game. Does around about the same damage as a maul overhead.

• @Pitchfork:

As a veteran archer i can confidently answer YES!

The bows:crossbow, light crossbow, heavy crossbow,warbow, and shortbow all have consistent speeds

(idk about javs)

The longbow is a variable weapon the longer you hold it back the more damage and speed your arrow has

So you basically cant wing arrows off like nuts with it effectively it is best used at long distance i have found where the warbow excelled in both

You can Learn any bow well in the create game objective with the peasants as targets!

Good hunting!

So you are saying that the shortbow and warbow arrows travel at the same speed? That is interesting if its true because it basically goes against any sort of realistic physics. That would basically mean that the shortbow arrows operate under an increased gravity field since they drop off so much quicker.

• @dupe123:

@Pitchfork:

As a veteran archer i can confidently answer YES!

(idk about javs)

Good hunting!

So you are saying that the shortbow and warbow arrows travel at the same speed? That is interesting if its true because it basically goes against any sort of realistic physics. That would basically mean that the shortbow arrows operate under an increased gravity field since they drop off so much quicker.

I am afraid this is completely false and the poster is mistaken. I have several things to back this up.

I have a lot of experience with bows. I daresay more than the poster because I know from experience that holding the bow longer makes no difference. Whether you release instantly or hold it longer the arrow trajectory and speed are identical. Eg. Normally i will hold down the mouse to aim but if it’s vs a stationary target such as a crossbowman who just started his reload i will just click once and let it release as fast as possible.

Second proof is in the changelogs when they modified the bows. The absolute projectile speed for archer ranged weapons was stated with the heavy xbow having he most at 8000units or somesuch.

• Are you sure with the long bow? i believe that is the same and i do not doubt you i have not played with the different bows past the patch.

From my experience the shortbow and warbow have the same speed but dont quote me this gentleman above seems to know more of the technicalities then i and i would hate to inform you wrong.

• @adamcel6:

Go to the bottom of this chart.https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ami8d_HZmYHsdDRzc1Byb3ItVWNXSFR1SURHN29TZnc#gid=1

Interesting. According to the chart, arrows from all bows travel at the same speed. I’m not sure what to think of this. I am torn by my appreciation for the easing of difficulty in switching between bows and my distaste for the lack of realism involved.

• @dupe123:

Interesting. According to the chart, arrows from all bows travel at the same speed. I’m not sure what to think of this. I am torn by my appreciation for the easing of difficulty in switching between bows and my distaste for the lack of realism involved.

So i was right. good to hear ! =)

• @dupe123:

@adamcel6:

Go to the bottom of this chart.https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ami8d_HZmYHsdDRzc1Byb3ItVWNXSFR1SURHN29TZnc#gid=1

I admit I haven’t played the longbow or shortbow since the duel patch but given my experiences in game I stand by what I said. I have released arrows roughly simultaneously as shortbow users and my arrows arrived first. It could be a lag issue but I generally only play at 30-50 ping. I am fairly certain any info stating all bows have the same projectile speed is wrong.

Can a mod or dev confirm this?

• I made that spreadsheet, the numbers are directly from the config files but what isn’t listed is drag and gravity. How it all actually works I don’t know, so speculate away.

• I’m still confused by this chart because the arrowspeeds ingame don’t vary and the values don’t reflect those from the patchnotes nor my experience….

I’M 100% sure that short and warbow have the same speed, while longbow is about 15-20% faster. All crossbows have different speed according to their “heavyness”, with the heavy crossbow having about 60% more speed than the warbow. Each crossbow has a significantly higher velocity than each bow.

Just for comparsion: warbow arrows fly like thrown stones, while a bolt from a heavy crossbow is barely visible.

• the Xbows r harder to see as its a smaller projectile, Ive edited all the arrows speeds on my server to about 70,000 as 6,000-8,000 wasnt fast enough to hit any1 after i modded the classes to all b faster

• holy cow whats your server called?

• ~RD~ Modded Matrix Mayhem
    U should come get sum dude, its tons of fun and has like 20 diff things modded from stock settings, less kick stam drain for all classes, archers can also dodge, faster flying and throwing weps plus way more ammo on everything and low grav with about a 10-12 ft jump to name a few of them.
    Hope to c u on there Escadin!