Question About Shield

• Is the shielding effect INSTANTLY removed after letting go of the shield button? If it is, why? Shouldn’t it be (Let go of button, then a 0.4-5 second shield block is still in effect after letting go of the button).

The shield should still block if its still infront of your face during those first few milliseconds of the animation, because if it doesn’t, all it does is hinder the players sight and allow the enemy to hit through the shield directly after the player lets go of the button. This makes it look like the enemy is damaging a player while he has his shield up from point blank (Not hugging maneuver but normal fighting distance)

This happens plenty of times from past experiences and from my friends own experiences.

• Yes, no blocking occurs during the shield down animation. You can block during the shield up animation though.

• What concerns be about shields more is where a point blank stab can pass through the shield.

Surely this isn’t intentional and yes walking backwards while blocking with it helps prevent this is most cases.

But now that kicking someone holding their shield up allows a guaranteed hit if you attack immediately after it. I think it should be fixed.

• @MrRedshark:

What concerns be about shields more is where a point blank stab can pass through the shield.

Surely this isn’t intentional and yes walking backwards while blocking with it helps prevent this is most cases.

But now that kicking someone holding their shield up allows a guaranteed hit if you attack immediately after it. I think it should be fixed.

There is actually a preventative measure in place to keep attacks from hitting through blocks. If the weapon passes through your block radius, it will be blocked regardless of where the first tracer “hits”, even if the damaging tracer is created behind your block box.

• @SlyGoat:

@MrRedshark:

What concerns be about shields more is where a point blank stab can pass through the shield.

There is actually a preventative measure in place to keep attacks from hitting through blocks. If the weapon passes through your block radius, it will be blocked regardless of where the first tracer “hits”, even if the damaging tracer is created behind your block box.

Maybe this change somehow fucked up the parry? Since the patch many people (in the forums and in IO) reported attacks hitting through a parry which would not have hit before the patch. I got very frustrated yesterday, when a Dane Axe overhead (and not even THAT close) killed me. The attacking player was in the center of my screen (no jump/duck/sidestep and pings above 90) and the Dane Axe hit me THROUGH (yes through, not around) my parry straight in the face.

After the patch I thought that this is maybe a problem with lag, since TB said parries were not touched. But tbh: I don’t care what’s the cause of this, just fix it asap, as it is frustrating as hell.

• @Falc:

Maybe this change somehow fucked up the parry? Since the patch many people (in the forums and in IO) reported attacks hitting through a parry which would not have hit before the patch. I got very frustrated yesterday, when a Dane Axe overhead (and not even THAT close) killed me. The attacking player was in the center of my screen (no jump/duck/sidestep and pings above 90) and the Dane Axe hit me THROUGH (yes through, not around) my parry straight in the face.

After the patch I thought that this is maybe a problem with lag, since TB said parries were not touched. But tbh: I don’t care what’s the cause of this, just fix it asap, as it is frustrating as hell.

Sorry, I should clarify - that wasn’t a recent change. The back attack prevention measure has been in the game since release. Again, no change was made to parries in the latest patch - if some other change messed something up somehow, we don’t know about it, and nobody else seems able to point to the issue.

• @Cheesus:

Is the shielding effect INSTANTLY removed after letting go of the shield button? If it is, why? Shouldn’t it be (Let go of button, then a 0.4-5 second shield block is still in effect after letting go of the button).

The shield should still block if its still infront of your face during those first few milliseconds of the animation, because if it doesn’t, all it does is hinder the players sight and allow the enemy to hit through the shield directly after the player lets go of the button. This makes it look like the enemy is damaging a player while he has his shield up from point blank (Not hugging maneuver but normal fighting distance)

This happens plenty of times from past experiences and from my friends own experiences.

Well ok but I don’t want to wait until my shield stops blocking before I can start my attack.

• There’s still an issue with thrusting through shields. Yesterday I was duelling a very good Vanguard with a two handed sword who knew exactly how to exploit it. Feint an overhead then get close and thrust through the shield. Just kept doing it. Usually feints don’t bother me because I use a shield and I don’t drop the block until the attack connects.

EDIT: Actually in my opinion there’s a really easy way to fix all the shield problems: make them passively block all attacks aimed at them, whether your blocking or not, exactly the way they currently work against ranged attacks. There’s already been shield nerfing of late, with the kick and the stamina drain of both holding up shields and the increased stamina drain of single handed weapons. Also the idea of making a shield have it’s own hit points so can be hacked apart is a good idea IMO, just make sure you can get another at an ammo box.

• @Falc:

Pretty sure this is an issue with people just not knowing how to block the dane axe. When using the alt-overhead I find it very easy to get around someone’s side and hit them. You can do the same with the regular overhead but its a little more difficult. I’m pretty sure what happens is that the axe goes around the block and hits you almost in the back, requiring a large amount of turning. Next time, try thinking of the overhead as a swing. Turn as far as you normally would to block a swing.

• @Dr:

There’s still an issue with thrusting through shields. Yesterday I was duelling a very good Vanguard with a two handed sword who knew exactly how to exploit it. Feint an overhead then get close and thrust through the shield. Just kept doing it. Usually feints don’t bother me because I use a shield and I don’t drop the block until the attack connects.

EDIT: Actually in my opinion there’s a really easy way to fix all the shield problems: make them passively block all attacks aimed at them, whether your blocking or not, exactly the way they currently work against ranged attacks. There’s already been shield nerfing of late, with the kick and the stamina drain of both holding up shields and the increased stamina drain of single handed weapons. Also the idea of making a shield have it’s own hit points so can be hacked apart is a good idea IMO, just make sure you can get another at an ammo box.

Why this isn’t already in place is beyond me.

• Ever since the Alternative attack mechanic was put in, i’d find a mitigated damage infliction when hit on the shield from a melee weapon would be great. It’ll teach players to be more skillful and MINDFUL of the ability to use the Alt swing other than swinging into the shield willy nilly.

• without knowing any tricks, i have stabbed people directly through their shield. maybe they were lowering it already, but i couldn’t see any evidence of it

with a norse sword

• @Crum1y:

without knowing any tricks, i have stabbed people directly through their shield. maybe they were lowering it already, but i couldn’t see any evidence of it

with a norse sword

Yeah this is happening just too much to me to not be a glitch of some kind. Only happens when very close though. I know the difference between someone using a stab to hit around the shield so I’m fairly certain it has something to do with some part of the hit tracer bypassing the shield.

• I definitely agree about getting hit right when we release, I guess from the habit I have in AOC, I haven’t completely gotten over it, especially the tapping the block button for a swing which we just can’t do as well in Chivalry. But it certainly would make sense to have the shield block for a little bit after once released because technically the shield is right there in front and it does take a while for someone to release a shield, but right now it seems that right when you release and someone is about to strike even few miliseconds, you still happen to get hit. I think that delay time should be slightly increased. I mean if the devs want to make it so the tip of the weapon hits a person, the same should be done with the shield location even when released. That seems to happen when we get shot at but DOESN’T seem to happen at all when someone strikes. The way it is right now, it’s like if when we release the block, the shield block disappears the very milisecond lol.

Also maybe slightly off topic to the specific concern in this post, but that Buckler shield really shouldn’t obscure the vision as much as the other shields when you can get hit so easily around it. It would also be nice if the attack button wouldn’t over-ride when holding on to the block.

• @Dr:

I full heartedly agree with this. The way the shield works now is totally unintuitive, and it really breaks my immersion more than anything in this game. Back in the day I used to play quite a bit of Rune: Halls of Vallhalla (great game in multiplayer!) and when I first bought Chivalry I was very much reminded of that game when playing. In Rune, the shield only blocks when a weapon hits the shield, no matter where the shield is. In fact, Rune and Chivalry is very alike, and I would very much hope that the Chivalry dev team plays some Rune for nostalgic inspiration!

Btw, first post. Please be nice to me :)

• @Sgt.:

@Dr z0b:

I full heartedly agree with this. The way the shield works now is totally unintuitive, and it really breaks my immersion more than anything in this game. Back in the day I used to play quite a bit of Rune: Halls of Vallhalla (great game in multiplayer!) and when I first bought Chivalry I was very much reminded of that game when playing. In Rune, the shield only blocks when a weapon hits the shield, no matter where the shield is. In fact, Rune and Chivalry is very alike, and I would very much hope that the Chivalry dev team plays some Rune for nostalgic inspiration!

Its gotta at least do partial damage to the enemy when it hits the shield say 70%, as it would piss a lot of people off. Why? Because if a person attacks an enemy and hits their shield and does zero damage, that wouldn’t be fun at all. They’d block the attack without even trying to.

Now if it was against BOTS, yeah sure. Do the zero damage shield block thing. But if you’re trying to play competitively, i’d go for either partial or no damage.

• So, that really isnt a problem when we have alternate attacks. You just have to be mindfull of where the shield is, and aim your attack properly.

EDIT: I’d rather have a bigger pushback(or rather be pushed in the direction the blocked strike was going) and no damage if the shield isnt in the “block” position, than taking damage through the shield.

• @Cheesus:

@Sgt. Stinger:

@Dr z0b:

Its gotta at least do partial damage to the enemy when it hits the shield say 70%, as it would piss a lot of people off. Why? Because if a person attacks an enemy and hits their shield and does zero damage, that wouldn’t be fun at all. They’d block the attack without even trying to.

Now if it was against BOTS, yeah sure. Do the zero damage shield block thing. But if you’re trying to play competitively, i’d go for either partial or no damage.

Whilst I’m ok with partial damage, I’d prefer the idea that shields have hit points and can be destroyed. In fact the Pavise shield already has the mechanics- it has 300 hp but other shields should have less. The tower could have 200 hp, the kite 150, the heater and buckler 100, or something like that. Then you would be forced to use your weapon single handed or switch to a two hander if you’re a knight until you can get to an Ammo box to get a new one. In LTS there are no ammo boxes so you would only get one shield.

• That is also a way to do it, it is the way it works in Rune aswell. On a side note, finding shield threads are hard. The forum wont allow a search for the word shield, because it is too common! That is just annoying.

• @Dr:

@Crum1y:

without knowing any tricks, i have stabbed people directly through their shield. maybe they were lowering it already, but i couldn’t see any evidence of it

with a norse sword

Yeah this is happening just too much to me to not be a glitch of some kind. Only happens when very close though. I know the difference between someone using a stab to hit around the shield so I’m fairly certain it has something to do with some part of the hit tracer bypassing the shield.

Yeah, this is due to the patch, as a lot of people have complained about it. I also don’t understand why the shield doesn’t actually shield during a shield bash (ie, the shield bash is equivalent to a kick - you have no protection WHATSOEVER!)

Anyway, I’m for passive blocking. Having a shield that doesn’t actually shield really breaks the immersion, and is poor from a gameplay perspective as well.