[POLL] Which class takes the most skill to use?

• @giantyak:

MAA gets a get out of jail free card, dodge in all directions, hugely, wild, wide angle swings and reach for such a little fellow. He is not hard to use. He just gets punished for his mistakes at a premium.

I’m quite surprised that you are the only one in this thread coming up with this, as its one of the reasons why MaA is by far one of the easiest 1on1 classes in very high level play. Dodge makes up for lack in footwork and good movement and is a jail free card the moment you would get punished as all other 3 classes. Combined with very strong weapons such as the morningstar, broadsword or really easy to use weapons such as the dane axe and the fact that you are still two shot from most classes and have very high strafespeed, also don’t forget that dodge has no cooldown and you can crouch to regen before they even reach you…

Note that im talking about duels here, MaA takes alot more skill in 5on5 and higher

Tbh i think that all classes take alot of skill, especially archer, but props to the vanguard players who manage to kite and dance around 3+ skilled enemys while not getting hit only using their movement and footwork in competitive play. This is one of the hardest things to master properly (with all classes tho, but vanguards are the easiest to kill) along with many other things that are WAY harder to master then the dodge from maa.

• @yayolol:

Every class is easy

If you have to give an answer the obvious answer is Archer, they have to always watch their placement of where they are standing, they have to be able to judge distance, arrow drop, travel time etc… They are beyond weak, easy to one shot. all their Secondarys except one take like 6 hits to kill with, I mean with that being said theres no other class that has to do that much just to compete with others.

You’ve made excellent summing up there. :) Nothing is worse when you hit your target once or twice with warbow, then change to 2ndary and do 2-3 hits… and… and… it still ain’t enough. Grrrr… :? :x

• @CRUSHED:

Tbh i think that all classes take alot of skill, especially archer, but props to the vanguard players who manage to kite and dance around 3+ skilled enemys while not getting hit only using their movement and footwork in competitive play.

That’s me. :D

Using this tactic makes it so much harder for the enemies to keep track of you and stay co-ordinated. Especially useful in public matches as there isn’t much co-ordination anyway ahem. Enemies end up hitting each other as they start madly swinging around while the cheeky vanguard is completely unharmed.

• @Matti:

@CRUSHED:

Tbh i think that all classes take alot of skill, especially archer, but props to the vanguard players who manage to kite and dance around 3+ skilled enemys while not getting hit only using their movement and footwork in competitive play.

That’s me. :D

Using this tactic makes it so much harder for the enemies to keep track of you and stay co-ordinated. Especially useful in public matches as there isn’t much co-ordination anyway ahem. Enemies end up hitting each other as they start madly swinging around while the cheeky vanguard is completely unharmed.

This is definitely cool and i always LOL at enemies that kill themselves in this process or friendly MAA’s and archers that choose to leap into the way of the VG. However, i wonder how many of these supernatural VG’s are using 3rd person to perform said supernatural feats /sadface.

• @giantyak:

This is definitely cool and i always LOL at enemies that kill themselves in this process or friendly MAA’s and archers that choose to leap into the way of the VG. However, i wonder how many of these supernatural VG’s are using 3rd person to perform said supernatural feats /sadface.

I don’t use 3rd person. In fact i’m strongly against it. After all, this is a first person slasher.

• First person FTW!!!

• In Team Objective games Man at Arms takes the most skill to be proficient with.
    However, in Duel mode, one one one, they are over powered. The hatchet and dane axe do too much damage combined with the dodge and weird parry angles. They can dodge out of strikes then dodge back in and stab almost before you’ve finished your initial swing. If I pick MAA in Duel I barely have to concentrate to get 10-0 every time. However if I pick knight I always have to work hard to behead the good MAAs, the majority of which I feel wouldn’t be as good were they playing with a different class.

In Duel mode I would say Vanguards with 2h swords is the class that takes most skill, followed by Knights with longswords.

Knights with warhammers and shields also take the piss in duel mode.

• All the following is just opinion based:
    I can’t really see why so many people say that archer takes the most skill. I dont mean to say it is easy for an archer to destroy everything neither its easy to win a >2 vs archer melee fights but still think the archer is pretty easy with the Bow itself … I play archer myself many times and i have to admit that its not that hard … mostly because it doesnt matter how skilled your enemy is. Yes a more skilled enemy will try to dodge your arrows but in a lets say 5v5 competitive its hardly the case that you can concentrate on the archer shoting at you while you are fighting. My point is that in most situations the only thing that matters is your aim and while that might not be easy in the beginning it will improve to the point where you no longer have problems to hit the leg of a running knight with a shield and it doesnt really matter how good your enemy is.
    I have seen enough level 2-5 archer kill level 40 player which were fighting a enemy. At this point archer is a point-n-click advanturegame were the only puzzel is “use bow” and “click on enemy”. On the other hand I nearly never see a level ~4 guy kill a veteran player … not even in a 2-3 vs 1 situation.
    And the melee archer isnt that bad either. The damage that can be dealt by draging the stab in the back of a enemy with for example a shortsword is pretty high but still I agree that to win as an archer in melee it takes a lot of skill … possible the most.

My personal list of “Which class takes the most skill to use?” with high level fighting and scrims in mind is:
    1.Melee archer
    2.Vanguard with swords
    3.MAA
    4.Knight without shield
    5.Archer ranged

I would like to hear what other people think about these points. Like i said its all opinion based and not to be taken to seriously.

Regards, Noxian

• Archer is the hardest class to use, and the worst melee fighter.
    he dies with one hit 2 if lucky, moves so slow, cant dodge, no shield, it takes 2+ arrows to kill (no xbow) sometimes 4 to kill a knight, no range and no attack for melee weapons once i had to hit 7 times a knight to kill him.

it really takes skills to beat a knight or a vanguard in a melee fight.
    im a all-veteran who unlocked all helmets.

• Melee dagger archer. Check out my guide if help is needed :D

• @Nevetz:

Melee dagger archer. Check out my guide if help is needed :D

already mastered and got all weapons, just saying that was so hard, the MAA was pretty easy to veteran.

• @Noxian:

All the following is just opinion based:
    I can’t really see why so many people say that archer takes the most skill. I dont mean to say it is easy for an archer to destroy everything neither its easy to win a >2 vs archer melee fights but still think the archer is pretty easy with the Bow itself … I play archer myself many times and i have to admit that its not that hard … mostly because it doesnt matter how skilled your enemy is. Yes a more skilled enemy will try to dodge your arrows but in a lets say 5v5 competitive its hardly the case that you can concentrate on the archer shoting at you while you are fighting. My point is that in most situations the only thing that matters is your aim and while that might not be easy in the beginning it will improve to the point where you no longer have problems to hit the leg of a running knight with a shield and it doesnt really matter how good your enemy is.
    I have seen enough level 2-5 archer kill level 40 player which were fighting a enemy. At this point archer is a point-n-click advanturegame were the only puzzel is “use bow” and “click on enemy”. On the other hand I nearly never see a level ~4 guy kill a veteran player … not even in a 2-3 vs 1 situation.
    And the melee archer isnt that bad either. The damage that can be dealt by draging the stab in the back of a enemy with for example a shortsword is pretty high but still I agree that to win as an archer in melee it takes a lot of skill … possible the most.

My personal list of “Which class takes the most skill to use?” with high level fighting and scrims in mind is:
    1.Melee archer
    2.Vanguard with swords
    3.MAA
    4.Knight without shield
    5.Archer ranged

I would like to hear what other people think about these points. Like i said its all opinion based and not to be taken to seriously.

Regards, Noxian

The only problem with “melee archer” is that there is no point. Being a sole melee archer is useless. You are essentially using an MaA class with the secondary only. A complete detriment, as you have barely any armour (health) and you are deprived of the dodge perk that the MaA has.

I can’t see why someone would use the melee archer with the intention of solely using melee, only to prove someone wrong, express that they are the most skilled player or just for fun (no one would be using it in a tournament or scrim :?). I can understand where you are coming from with your point, and I would most definitely agree that a melee archer is the probably the most difficult class to play.

Good post btw. :D

• @Matti:

@Noxian:

All the following is just opinion based:

1.Melee archer
    2.Vanguard with swords
    3.MAA
    4.Knight without shield
    5.Archer ranged

Regards, Noxian

The only problem with “melee archer” is that there is no point. Being a sole melee archer is useless. You are essentially using an MaA class with the secondary only. A complete detriment, as you have barely any armour (health) and you are deprived of the dodge perk that the MaA has.

I can’t see why someone would use the melee archer with the intention of solely using melee, only to prove someone wrong, express that they are the most skilled player or just for fun (no one would be using it in a tournament or scrim :?). I can understand where you are coming from with your point, and I would most definitely agree that a melee archer is the probably the most difficult class to play.

Good post btw. :D

Playing archer in competitive 5v5 is one of the hardest things for an archer to do imo. Earlier Noxian states things like he can simply go for the enemy archer but this is often not the case, as other competent archers will also plan for this and specifically ignore you with cover to take down your melee forces while engaged in battle. Opposing archers are not always easy to hit, and often it comes to player decision as to whether he should try and dispose of the enemy archer or do the same and take shots at their melee forces. It may be point and click in pubs, but it is quite the opposite in comp play, and good or bad archer play can easily determine the outcome of many matches.

Archer in melee can also kill many classes faster than other classes due to one important thing you seem to forget, and that is the 50% backstab bonus. Archer can regularly 2 shot any class with backstabs except for knight, which can even fall to 2 overheads to the back of the head from cudgel, but is hard to land and often take 3 hits anyway.

• @Anonymoose:

Archer in melee can also kill many classes faster than other classes due to one important thing you seem to forget, and that is the 50% backstab bonus. Archer can regularly 2 shot any class with backstabs except for knight, which can even fall to 2 overheads to the back of the head from cudgel, but is hard to land and often take 3 hits anyway.

Yes, but even trying to get behind someone for a backstab in a 1v1 is difficult, especially if they’re a fairly experience player. You could do it fairly easily if the opponent was already in a duel, and you sneaked up behind him.

Genuine question: Does an archer get bonuses for shooting an arrow in the back, or is it just for melee?

• @Matti:

@Anonymoose:

Yes, but even trying to get behind someone for a backstab in a 1v1 is difficult, especially if they’re a fairly experience player. You could do it fairly easily if the opponent was already in a duel, and you sneaked up behind him.

Genuine question: Does an archer get bonuses for shooting an arrow in the back, or is it just for melee?

Well this is a team scenario i’m talking about so preferably the archer could backstab the already engaged enemy. It is very easy to hit backs and sides when in 2v1. If the archer is all that remains and he is in melee i’m sure archer wouldn’t be his first class choice either, but you’re stuck now huh little archer man :P

and backstab bonus is only for melee weapons.

• @Anonymoose:

Well this is a team scenario i’m talking about so preferably the archer could backstab the already engaged enemy. It is very easy to hit backs and sides when in 2v1. If the archer is all that remains and he is in melee i’m sure archer wouldn’t be his first class choice either, but you’re stuck now huh little archer man :P

I think the easiest way to decide, is to have a 1v1 with every combination possible, and see who wins. :)

@Anonymoose:

and backstab bonus is only for melee weapons.

Damn. It would be awesome if you could punish those cowards with their backs to the battle! :x

• I’ll add a vote to Archer as well. Mostly because it’s really hard to learn (good aim is HARD). And training = skill. That doesn’t mean I think it’s the best class though :-).

• While the MAA takes the most initial skill to use, once you learn the dodge mechanic, it is on par or often superior to other melee classes early on. MAA in a duel environment is fairly OP, and even in larger scale fights he doesn’t fall far behind the heavy classes. Once someone gets used to the dodge, the skill level required to play the melee classes at the same level of effectiveness equals out.

Archer still takes the most skill. :3

• I’ll give it to the MAA then the Archer

Dodge is nice and useful skill and much needed for our survival, but requires a fine balanced use. Overuse and you are left without stamina, no stamina usually means a dead MAA. This balancing act is what attracted me to the MAA.