Why do most high level use SoW?

• I’m not exactly new to the game (I’ve got 70 hours), but I’m certainly not a pro at it either. I’m not a hardcore, and I don’t plan on ever being so, but I still want to be the best I can be.

Most of the high rank, top of the board players that wipe the floor with me seem to be using the sword of war.

My usual set up is Knight, with either the grand mace or the messer and falchion/tower shield for archers and MAA. It works decently for me, but the fact that so many good, high rank players use the SoW leads me to wonder if it is better than the messer or grand mace (or others).

I realize there is most likely some individual preference, but for example, would a skilled player with the SoW be able to beat an equally skilled player with the messer/grand mace?

• I only got a fistfull of gamehours more than you, but i prefer the SoW because its just so fuckin fast. Versus skilled enemies i find speed a lot more important than damage.

The counter-stab of the SoW is too fast for some people to parry for example.

• I am a level 40(420+ hours) who regularly tops the charts. I started using the SoW back when I was in the teen rankings(sometime mid October). Had brief stent with the brandi stock, but the SoW has always been my sword of choice for that stab. If a weapon doesn’t have a good stab(aside from falchion), then I don’t use it.

Now the reason why most other use it, as well as myself, is the ability to get a strong stab in with a very quick look down over head combo. This combo which takes about 2 seconds to perform, can I shot(2 hit combo) all classes but the knight. When you run around with this kind of knockout power, coupled with a skilled players mechanics, it becomes a lethal weapon.

BUT, having said that, the longsword is just as capable for pub stomping… TBH, any weapon is capable of pub stomping. I have had a 6+ KD using the fork lol. The reason I pub with the SoW, is because I comp with it as well.

The grand mace is one of the hardest weapons to duel against as a sword wielding knight. Since the speed and damage buff, the damn thing is so easy to hit trade with, that it is becoming the bane of sword duelers.

TL;DR SoW Stab+Overhead combo is amazing. Any weapon can pub stomp in a good person’s hand. Grand Mace OP in dueling.

• Personally though, I’ve never thought of speed as -that- important. Even the fastest 2h will have a very hard time countering a 1h, and I have very little trouble countering fast 2hs with the maul. Plus, the slower the weapon, the more you can speed it up using look downs (I know there’s a better word, but it’s on the tip of my tongue).

All that being said, I’ve thought of power as much more important. (But do keep in mind, I’m honestly pretty bad compared to most)

• @Mechapope:

Personally though, I’ve never thought of speed as -that- important. Even the fastest 2h will have a very hard time countering a 1h, and I have very little trouble countering fast 2hs with the maul. Plus, the slower the weapon, the more you can speed it up using look downs (I know there’s a better word, but it’s on the tip of my tongue).

All that being said, I’ve thought of power as much more important. (But do keep in mind, I’m honestly pretty bad compared to most)

Like I said, in pub format you can roll with whatever you like. I just like the stab/reach of the SoW, and that combo is just the icing on the cake for me. Using the SoW won’t make you better, but finding a weapon that matches your playstyle will. And once you find that weapon, just practice the #$&% out of it, and people will be copying you :D

• It is fast, the stabs are easy to land in group fights and you 3 shot a knight in the torso.

• Its fast as lightning and it decimates alot of skilled MAAS and other knights and it can outspeed vanguards swings as well unless….gaymore but still the point is the weapon rocks.

• I use SoW, stab only. It is the best one-hander imho, fast, good reach.

But shhh dont tell everyone else.

• Great stab, smaller chance of team kills.

• Great speed, reach and damage.

• DPS is pretty amazing, but I use the messer as my primary 2h. Messer can 2 hit a knight and 1 hit an archer and slowness allows you alot of intentional delay/speed up opportunities instead of feints. Its not really fast enough to fight maa though, so being adept with a sidearm is useful. Messer is basically a two handed falchion in terms of play. Its technically shorter length is made up by the more ground you can cover while having an actively swung weapon.
    I dig the poleaxe as well.

The more realtime the weapon is to the player the more the player’s skill can come through, even if the weapon does less damage.

• @ChuckingIt:

I am a level 40(420+ hours) who regularly tops the charts.

I’m rank 39 at 326 hours. Halberd seems more efficient, no? :P

• Speed, coupled with an excellent stab. I can be decent with any weapon, but the sword of war and sometimes the longsword simply have the cleanest most efficient feel, without having that roughness a lot of other weapons have.

@ReMixx:

@ChuckingIt:

I’m rank 40 with 390 hours, but I lost 28 ranks the third week I started to play due to a bug. I know it doesn’t add up to rank 68, there’d be no way, but it’s definitely up there. I’ve been using some variant of a sword since I started to play, so eh…

I guess we have our preferences but that’s good. The halberd isn’t bad at all, but it requires a different mindset.

SoW is popular, but by no means the only loadout used at high levels.

• @ReMixx:

@ChuckingIt:

If we’re comparing rank plus hours I’m r39 at 220 hours :P

• @Lord:

@ReMixx:

@ChuckingIt:

With SoW? You’d be killing my argument :(

• @Lord:

@ReMixx:

@ChuckingIt:

Pub stomp much? :p

• @ChuckingIt:

Pub stomp? I’m offended at the notion! I am an admin on the Official Servers and it is my duty to play there. Besides, people complain that there aren’t enough admins baby sitting the Official Servers anyway :roll:

• @ReMixx:

@ChuckingIt:

Pub stomp? I’m offended at the notion! I am an admin on the Official Servers and it is my duty to play there. Besides, people complain that there aren’t enough admins baby sitting the Official Servers anyway :roll:

I was talking to artos, you noob! And when we gunna hold our mod duel tourney! :))

• @ChuckingIt:

I was talking to artos, you noob! And when we gunna hold our mod duel tourney! :))

Oh.

Ummm when KimKims gets back. Oh wait, we’re not supposed to mention her being out of town or the unruly will take advantage of their posts going unlocked. Oops! :oops:

• SoW trades swing damage for a better stab as oppose to the longsword. The trade off isn’t much because if you crunch the numbers, it still take the SAME amount of hit to kill each class. The reason why high level players favour the SoW is because, first LMB spamming is noob, a strong stab is often the main choice of attack against vanguards and knights and faster combo time compare to the other bastard swords.

The SoW can 2 hit any class except the Knight where it is a 3 hit. A

The Longsword damages are

Swing: 75
    Overhead: 85
    pierce: 65

Sword of War damages are

Swing 65:
    Overhead: 75
    Pierce: 75

Adjust class armour defences to see their actual potential damage to each of them.

My comb preference with the SoW is using swings against MAAs or archers, and stab, overheads against the heavier classes.