Archers are fine, but not in duel mode.

• What was the reasoning for giving archers all their ranged tools and all their melee tools? but the other classes get the shaft on this? I can’t think of a reason to make it this way?

I’m seriously convinced the people who choose archer in duel mode are just sad trolls.

SOMEBODY ENLIGHTEN ME TO THESE ASSBACKWARDS MECHANICS?!?!? :o

Seriously though, anybody have insight on this?

EDIT: simple fix… Give me my axes back?

• Don’t you mean Bass’Ackwards? :P

Regarding your question, I dunno…. most “Archers” I encounter in Duel are tools who try and get one shot off and then spend the rest of the time running away from you… damn chicken’shit time wasters.

They should be restricted to just Javelins and shield.

• Throwing axes and knives are very fast. Two throwing axes can kill all classes but the knight. One axe headshot followed by an axe to the cheast kills a knight.

3 throwing knives kills a vanguard.

They are fast and accurate and the throwers are melee classes.

Archers are slower and have no armour with their weaker weapons.

• @lemonater47:

Throwing axes and knives are very fast. Two throwing axes can kill all classes but the knight. One axe headshot followed by an axe to the cheast kills a knight.

3 throwing knives kills a vanguard.

They are fast and accurate and the throwers are melee classes.

Archers are slower and have no armor with their weaker weapons.

Ok… But I can be one shot from across the arena floor If I’m unlucky. I can read when a Throwing weapon is headed my way, with archers its 10x as hard from the distances in some arena maps. I don’t see how that’s any different for the average vanguard?

But opinion is opinion. Any official reason from TB out there?

• Since all other classes don’t have their ranged tools in duels archers should have no melee weapons. Solution? Remove ALL ranged weapons from duels. That includes bows and javelins.

• Solution? Archer limit. Which we have. And really, how often do you really lose to an archer? I’ll keep using my javelin, thank you.

• Yeah, this really sucks. Of course there is an archer limit, but where is the sense of it, when none of the servers is acutally using it? :3

• What if archers wanted to duel one another? DEVILS ADVOCATE HERE CRAZY THOUGHTS

• 1. Use your shield or smoke pot.

EL8e2ujXe8g

• The map with the elevator (you know the map we all hate) is a bitch against a smart archer. Basically they can escape you easily and keep firing arrows.

All other maps I eat them alive as a shielded knight.

• @gregcau:

The map with the elevator (you know the map we all hate) is a bitch against a smart archer. Basically they can escape you easily and keep firing arrows.

Yea, With a shield it’s not hard. but unfortunately. as a Vanguard I don’t have that tool. Smoke pot yea. but they’re no fun. I need axes!

@BobT36:

1. Use your shield or smoke pot.

EL8e2ujXe8g

How about my throwing axes.

Kindergarten cop is the shiz! But you’re misunderstanding whining for a question/feedback. but your post is appreciated anyway. I hope this clears things up. :D

• Duel mode, if you’re lucky, seems to be the last refuge at all from the constant, utterly ubiquitous arrow rain that seems to greet you on every single team server.
    It seems like every non-duel server I’ve joined in the last few days had at least 50% archers or more, all shooting at anyone who dares approach an archer, always forcing you to hide or do an endless little jig. No matter how good I am at dodging arrows, I have to do it every single second I spend in an open area. No matter how good I am at killing archers once I get to them, despite their flailing objections, I still have to do it with arrows flying at me from every other direction. and I never get a chance at a simple fair melee fight anymore if I’m not in some dark hidden crevice with my opponent.

Christ, I just came on here to have somewhere to vent. However good I may be doing in a round is always subordinate to the horrifying annoyance of the constant archer spam from front and back. I just want to play my little man-to-man swordfighting game in a team mode without feeling like a dying organism surrounded by a thousand cowardly flies that can’t be swatted unless I run a mile in a bunnyhopping zigzag. Even when there’s only a couple of them, I still have to go chasing after them like I owe them something, and kill them quickly without stamina before their teammates swarm me. Or hide and dance. Hide and dance. Hide and dance. Or follow the tedious advice to just give up and equip a shield, and hide behind it and dance.

The only thing that remotely justifies their presence is the fact that archers were a thing that existed in medieval times. As an element of this simple arena action game they’re an utterly irredeemable pest.

I’m hardly even on topic. I’m sure there’s a million fed-up, blubbering posts like this one on the chivalry forum.
    Can somebody please direct me to a thread that containst a list of servers with an archer ban, or at least a cap? I guess that’s what I’m really here for. A place to have an honest fight. Without that, I’m just going to quit all team modes in this videogame that I love.

• @Guarding:

@gregcau:

The map with the elevator (you know the map we all hate) is a bitch against a smart archer. Basically they can escape you easily and keep firing arrows.

Yea, With a shield it’s not hard. but unfortunately. as a Vanguard I don’t have that tool. Smoke pot yea. but they’re no fun. I need axes!

@BobT36:

1. Use your shield or smoke pot.

EL8e2ujXe8g

How about my throwing axes.

Kindergarten cop is the shiz! But you’re misunderstanding whining for a question/feedback. but your post is appreciated anyway. I hope this clears things up. :D

Speaking as an archer, you should also understand the inherent risk that comes with blindly choosing your loadout without knowing what you’re opponent will do. If you spawn vanguard I get all giddy inside because you don’t have a shield. If you spawn knight with a tower shield? May as well just get my cudgel already because this is going nowhere. This is also why it helps to be proficient in several classes. If my archer got senselessly mauled then I switch to MaA and try again with different tactics.

That said, I still think other classes should have throwing weapons. Maybe only carry two knives and one axe so you can’t completely kill your opponent? They still have utility for interrupting though, and would definitely help combat archers.

• In the arena with the pit in it i attempt to throw myself in the pit before i get headshot (Only against the archers that use aimbot that is). 8-)

• @Gandereth:

The only thing that remotely justifies their presence is the fact that archers were a thing that existed in medieval times. As an element of this simple arena action game they’re an utterly irredeemable pest.

Everything else in your post I just do not agree with. THIS quote right here though brings up a lot of questions. Surely if we look at the history, we see how Archers would often be the deciding role in battles. Case in point, Agincourt in 1415.

But we will ALSO see, to a much greater degree, how the deployment and use of Cavalry was even more central to combat at the time. So where the hell are the horses in Chivalry? Why isn’t there a Jousting mode instead of a duel mode?

This really makes me think about the creative decision making that goes on at Torn Banner.

They decided to put in archers instead of cavalry.

ARCHERS instead of CAVALRY

There’s some god damn Legolas fanboy high up in the hierarchy making decisions at TB, I reckon.

• Pro Tip:

Dont run in a straight line at an archer

???

Archer has got to be the worst class in duel mode, its like free wins everytime you get paired against them.

• @yayolol:

Pro Tip:

???

Archer has got to be the worst class in duel mode, its like free wins everytime you get paired against them.

Pretty much. Arrows are really easy to dodge, and even the best archer can’t tell exactly where you are going to go. Keep him guessing at which way you go, and as soon as he fires, switch and/or stop running and he’ll miss.

• @Uncle_Uzi:

@Gandereth:

Everything else in your post I just do not agree with. THIS quote right here though brings up a lot of questions. Surely if we look at the history, we see how Archers would often be the deciding role in battles. Case in point, Agincourt in 1415.

Its been scientifically shown that archers did not play the deciding role in that battle. It was the advent of new weapons, tactics, and also the weather/mud. Archers only played a small part - it was shown that their arrows did not penetrate the knights armour when fired at long range and dropping from on high. It was the 1h hammer and shod staffs that did the damage(on the weapon side of things).

@Tankcommander:

@yayolol:

Pro Tip:

???

Pretty much. Arrows are really easy to dodge, and even the best archer can’t tell exactly where you are going to go. Keep him guessing at which way you go, and as soon as he fires, switch and/or stop running and he’ll miss.

Some archers will hit you in the eye everytime anyway.