Remove Duel Mode

• It doesn’t fit in a Team based game.

• What does it matter if people enjoy it? You don’t _have _to join a duel server.

• Just because you do not like it does not mean it should be removed from the game. I myself suck at dueling and enjoy it, it is close minded of you to say it does not belong because you have defined the game as a “team” game within your mind.

• People can enjoy it all they like. however it should be a server CVAR not an official mode. Having an official duel mode means that we the people will expect the game to be balanced in all mode. And i do not believe it is possible to balance a team based game with support classes and balance a duel game at the same time.

I would be willing to settle with Duel related objections to game mechanics not being used to build the core team multi-player game that is Chivalry.

• Is this a troll? Seriously?

You don’t like duel mode, so you suggest it be removed? FFA isn’t team based either, want it removed?

• FFA does not = Duels.

Also i dont mind duel mode it can be pretty fun to goof around on. but the game chivalry cannot be balanced around both duels and all other modes.

• @Halbardburton:

FFA does not = Duels.

Also i dont mind duel mode it can be pretty fun to goof around on. but the game chivalry cannot be balanced around both duels and all other modes.

You big argument against duel mode was it not being team based… FFA is also not team based.

Also, why can’t it? Do you have an example of something OP in duel mode that isn’t OP in TO? Or vice versa?

Simply saying you cannot balance between both game types isn’t an argument… Please explain why it can’t be balanced.

• @Slaughtervomit:

@Halbardburton:

FFA does not = Duels.

You big argument against duel mode was it not being team based… FFA is also not team based.

Also, why can’t it? Do you have an example of something OP in duel mode that isn’t OP in TO? Or vice versa?

Simply saying you cannot balance between both game types isn’t an argument… Please explain why it can’t be balanced.

FFA is actually team based. because i with friends can team up and take people out. the game even makes it easy to see which people are your friends so you can steam roll together :D.

Duel mode pits you against a single person in a controlled environment.

it will be to difficult to balance every single class to be totally effective in duel mode AND team based modes. World of Warcraft learned that lesson right away. Duels are considered a fun side thing. not something you use to balance game mechanics.

And example of why it cannot be done is this game has classes that are support classes. they have inherent weaknesses and should have them. An archer should have little chance against a knight without some boys to keep the knight busy while the archer plucks away at him from a safe distance.

• You must be the only person in the world who thinks this.

No one is forcing you to play Duel and it doesn’t take anything away from the game. It is there to provide a way for people to learn how to 1v1, as well as others more experienced who might enjoy a 1v1 with no other obstacles thrown in the way. It has nothing to do with in game balance, nor is the game going to be based around 1v1.

Again, just because you think it takes away from the game doesn’t mean that the dev team who spent a lot of time on making this, are simply going to remove it.

Pardon my french but you are fucking retarded.

• @Halbardburton:

FFA is actually team based. because i with friends can team up and take people out. the game even makes it easy to see which people are your friends so you can steam roll together :D.

Wait… you team in FFA? That’s disgusting. I’m done wasting my time talking to you.

• Edit: Disregard double post

• @Slaughtervomit:

@Halbardburton:

Wait… you team in FFA? That’s disgusting. I’m done wasting my time talking to you.

Where in the instruction book does it say that im a bad person for teaming in FFA ?

• @Slaughtervomit:

@Halbardburton:

Well I’ll be, you actually made Slaughtervomit feel “disgust”.

That’s quite an accomplishment, you should feel proud.

• @DokB:

@Slaughtervomit:

@Halbardburton:

Well I’ll be, you actually made Slaughtervomit feel “disgust”.

That’s quite an accomplishment, you should feel proud.

The game encourages you to team up in FFA and in all the team modes. everyone is always making micro teams with their lil groups of friends they play with.

• @Halbardburton:

The game encourages you to team up in FFA and in all the team modes. everyone is always making micro teams with their lil groups of friends they play with.

What part of Free For All don’t you understand? And where does this game encourage you to team up in Free for All, weren’t the different colour uniforms a good enough message?

Sure, no one can stop you from teaming up but it won’t stop people from thinking ill of you for making a team in a game mode that is meant to be “Every man for himself”.

• @DokB:

@Halbardburton:

What part of Free For All don’t you understand? And where does this game encourage you to team up in Free for All, weren’t the different colour uniforms a good enough message?

Sure, no one can stop you from teaming up but it won’t stop people from thinking ill of you for making a team in a game mode that is meant to be “Every man for himself”.

what are you talking about man. it shows you the names of your friends over their heads at a great distance. making it easy to see who your friends are so you can work together as a fine tuned little unit to destroy everyone and make people like you mad :D

but them good people come along and make it even more interesting.

You know you have teamed up with the guy you were fighting to go get that annoying archer that shooting at you both.

• Dude, obvious troll is obvious. Even the name.

• @Halbardburton:

@Slaughtervomit:

@Halbardburton:

Where in the instruction book does it say that im a bad person for teaming in FFA ?

Where in the instruction book does it say Chivalry is a team-based game only? People like duels, go spout useless nonsense elsewhere.

• “Where in the instruction book does it say Chivalry is a team-based game only? People like duels, go spout useless nonsense elsewhere.”

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/blog/about-it

Doesn’t mention a thing about 1v1. it does however mention 32 player and emphasis on multi-player.

you must understand i dont have a problem with duels or people having duels. what i have a problem with specifically is people using duels to balance the game. since people seem to feel the game should be balanced with duels in mind. i say remove duels from the official game and let it be a console CVAR for servers to run. that way people can still have fun doing duels. but the crying about things being broken in duels will not effect game balance discussions.

• I think “small to large scale” multiplayer is a better descriptor.

FFA is all about teams. You may not notice you do it but when you are playing in FFA you are definitely making and breaking impromptu teams all the time. When you see two guys fighting you definitely pick one to help and when you’re on the ropes and someone is running up to potentially break the flow of your current opponents offense you likely won’t intercept him to keep him from doing it.

Now, moving right along to duel mode vs FFA. For some reason there is some difference with FFA and Duel mode where you don’t find a lot of people requesting balance changes based on FFA. But you do for duel mode.

The class strengths and weaknesses carry over better in FFA than in Duel mode. Perhaps that’s why you don’t hear a lot of balance requests centered around tweaking the game in favor of FFA.

The issue with Duel mode is that it creates an expectation that the mode should be balanced. Individuals are beginning to believe that classes in Duel mode should be on even footing even though such thing flies in the face of Team based modes and can only serve to exacerbate the issue over time.

It would be tricky to balance support qualities, tank qualities, dexterity qualities etc. etc. etc. for a team game AND a one on one game.

So now there’s Duel mode. And people take this to mean validation for Duels being something legit to balance around. Problem.

Two solutions and I honestly don’t care which one:

1: Remove Duel mode.
    2: TB does what Blizzard did with WOW and pretty much comes out and says Duel mode is a fun diversion but isn’t what the core game is going to be designed around.

I guess I’m lying when i say I don’t care which one. Obviously the more modes the better. But as it is, the Duel mode is having a destructive effect on people’s perceptions and what they believe to be fair balance.