What do you think about the update?

• First off, I want to make this very clear. I am not looking for arguments. I’m looking for opinions and discussions. We are all allowed to think different things about this update.

Which by the way I hated. No, really, I hate this update. Aside from the new maps, which are very awesome, I feel as if the whole thing is just one colossal step backwards. It’s almost as if in their attempts to fix everything they just ended up breaking things.

Several of the game mechanics just feel… off. Is it just me or was blocking always this finicky? I’ll try to block something, align my weapon tip with my enemy and it’ll go straight through my block like air. On other occasions I’ll block when I know there is little chance of it succeeding only to be miraculously saved when the enemy’s weapon strikes off of nothing.

I will say that I like a few new things, the halberd being nerfed was downright necessary, but some of the other balances are, well, not nearly as well done or needed. Did tower shields always be that much of a pain in the a**. Was spamming always this effective (and annoying)? None of the things that needed a boost are any good, and everything still acts the same… yet feels so off. Hit detection seems to have gotten worse, somehow, and it falls into a similar pattern as blocking.

The new weapons are in large forgettable too, not a single one is any better, or even so much as useful as the vanilla ones, and the only one that is somewhat usable is the polehammer, and even that pales next to the other VG weapons. The sling is too weak, the quarterstaff just laughable, and the flails suck compared to the warhammer.

As for duel mode… I really wanted to like it, but it’s so damn buggy. If you are writing text when you start a duel you freeze and cannot complete what you were writing. If you do the same at the end then you cannot select anything and are forced into the pool with a timer. Not mention I keep getting forced to fight the same 5 guys over again - it may be coincidence, but it annoys the he** out of me, I like fighting different people.

I may as well get to bugs, but most of them aren’t game breaking. One thing that annoys me is that you cannot cancel switching your class or team once you hit M or N, which puts you at such a disadvantage should you accidently do it. Who the heck designed that? Was it there in vanilla, I don’t remember it being this annoying.

So yeah, I’m not a big fan of this update. New maps are awesome, but some of the new , ‘balancing’ just messed the whole game up. Sad, I was really looking forward to it. What did you think of it?

• I tend to try and vote change Citadel… It’s painful.

Don’t get me wrong, I love how it looks… I just hate playing it.

• I really wish they had fixed the server browser like they said. Still tons of servers report being full of people yet they are not.

The map devs spent to much time cluttering up their maps making them pretty with objects and forgot that every annoying bump and ridge in the land can cause you to stop running and punish your poor pinky to hit shift again and again.

The new weapons didn’t even get variants like the rest of the weapons.They look so out of place. what a joke hahaaha

They froze everyone just before the round starts which is ok i guess. but you can still get one attack off if you spam attacks or throw a fire bomb. not really a BAD thing but funny XD

I wish the time that was spent on the levels being created and the new weapons was spent cleaning up the rest of the game.

• @Halbardburton:

The map devs spent to much time cluttering up their maps making them pretty with objects and forgot that every annoying bump and ridge in the land can cause you to stop running and punish your poor pinky to hit shift again and again.

Oh the pain. And they have way too much detail on the maps, especially on Citadel. That map is HUGE.

• @Matti:

@Halbardburton:

Oh the pain. And they have way too much detail on the maps, especially on Citadel. That map is HUGE.

Thing is the amount of detail could be cool if more work was put into making sure there are not tons of little things on the ground that will make your sprint stop working.

• @Halbardburton:

@Matti:

@Halbardburton:

Thing is the amount of detail could be cool if more work was put into making sure there are not tons of little things on the ground that will make your sprint stop working.

Especially annoying as Vanguard, but ludicrious nonetheless.

And the Citadel’s objectives really need work. #1 is stupid hard while the others are a cakewalk.

• I have to agree with the first post.

1. Bugs and issues
      While the patch did not solve any persistent issues that annoy me so much (blocking not working sometimes, throw bug,…), it added new bugs of its own (FFA winner spawning into your character, helmets,…).

2. New weapons
      Each class got a new weapon and… well. Meh. The weapons as they were were clean, simple and nice, each class getting 3x3 primaries, 2x3 or 3x3 secondaries and some specials. Now there are is the stupid fourth row containing 1 sling, 1 staff, 1 polehammer, 2 flails. Looks stupid and the weapons are not really that useful, except maybe flail which is extremely difficult to read due to its chain which is cool. The staff is preposterous.

3. Maps
      While my first impression was that the new maps are just bullshit overcluttered with crap, I changed my opinion. The winter map is actually very nice and fun. The wall seems a little bit strange and I don’t like the map, but can’t tell why. The citadel is bullshit overcluttered with crap, no discussion there. It looks gorgeous, that’s true but it plays terrible.

4. Tweaks
      The opening battle UI is terrible now… all blue or all red, it looks… i don’t know… what was fucking wrong with it anyway?
      They froze everybody during the game initiation which I hate. It was extremely fun to kill as much of your teammates as possible in the short time window and it really cemented the spirit of the game. Now waiting for the last sec to be able to smash the nearest archer (if there is one!) with your zweihander or maul is a very poor substitute. This game will never be the same… sniff

There are some definite positives in the update though.

• some of the new maps (as mentioned)
    • the great duel mode (although buggy and not polished)
    • weapons are balanced better (zweihander is not a worse pole-axe)
    • alternate swings are interesting addition, I was a bit sceptical at first but I really like the possibility to determine the swing direction now (alt-overhead is a little bit pointless i think)
    • chat doesnt divide words any more

So I can’t really hate the update, but… well I kind of like the game more before it.

• viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10503&start=20

Your voice for combat issues.

• This patch would be fine if a fix patch followed afterwards. I don’t think Torn Banner understands that content patches are inevitably going to need a fix afterwards. They can’t just drop the patch and disappear from the forums for a month.

• @MrRedshark:

They can’t just drop the patch and disappear from the forums for a month.

I don’t recall doing that :?

• Sadly the update introduced a lot of bugs. Hopefully the upcoming refining patch will fix most of them and address balance/design issues.

• @Dr.Nick:

Sadly the update introduced a lot of bugs. Hopefully the upcoming refining patch will fix most of them and address balance/design issues.

Mauls will get a buff too, right?

• I think the patch was bad, and changed the game for the worst. The new weapons suck, and Citadel is horribly unbalanced. The only thing of note that this patch bought was even more bugs, with fun stuff like ghost swings happening all the time, and the general fucking up of the game. Also, stab queueing is still in the game, which offends me.

The Sling is pretty cute though

• Well, I have played this game since Beta and have bought copies for my nephews and others to play along. I quite liked the balance of the game before the patch. I found guys who spam combo’s hard to kill but then decided on using the tower shield and could stop them some of the time which I considered balanced.

Now, the tower shield is useless. People can just walk up to you and hit you through it. The game has now degenerated into whoever can get in your face first and get a combo swing going wins. There is no finesse, just charge and combo swing.

Sure, there are guys out there who have played hundreds of hours who will tell me that I’m a NOOB and this or that tactic can stop guys who spam combos and charges. However, I don’t have that much time to spend on the game (i.e. have to work) and what was an enjoyable game is now just frustrating and full of spammers and one-trick ponies.

The timing and skill of the game has been watered down to charge and spam the combo button with the fastest weapon. I’m not sure I will be playing it much more and wont be recommending it further if it stays this way.

• @SlyGoat:

@MrRedshark:

Wasn’t aware you were a dev.

• @SlyGoat:

@MrRedshark:

I don’t recall doing that

… “mumbled Slygoat, doing his best to avoid responding to the main comment regarding updates”.

Honestly what makes this so sad is that there are developers out there working on free to play games who release more frequent, consistent and balanced patches funded purely by micro-transactions.

The community relations for this game is terrible, there’s so little feedback or discussion on these balance forums. Releasing one patch every 2 - 3 months is no way to run a game based around competitive close-fought PvP, much less when you break things that were working before and fail to address issues that have been around since last year.

Really enjoyed the game prior to the patch, have basically stopped playing since. 3 - 4 of my friends who got into the game with me feel exactly the same way. This had great potential, but right now what we have is a stagnating mess.

• @MrRedshark:

@SlyGoat:

@MrRedshark:

Wasn’t aware you were a dev.

Anyone with red in the name is. We are all actually pretty active. Some just prefer to read the posts. Check out the news section, we are working on a series of community issue patches.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10318

“Another thing we can look forward to will be a “Community Issues” patch which is up next. It will feature primarily optimization, bug fixes and high priority community requests. This one is all about making the current game, play and run better.”

• @Andrew:

“Another thing we can look forward to will be a “Community Issues” patch which is up next. It will feature primarily optimization, bug fixes and high priority community requests. This one is all about making the current game, play and run better.”

woohoo!

• @Andrew:

Anyone with red in the name is. We are all actually pretty active. Some just prefer to read the posts. Check out the news section, we are working on a series of community issue patches.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10318

Great to see a patch like this coming up, and great to get a real response in the thread, even if not directly to my post.

This is exactly what we need more of though, if people are unhappy about the situation (and from the general line of posts in this thread I think we can assume some are) you need to wave in their face the fact that you’re fixing it. Even if you’ve got the post elsewhere and it was my mistake not finding it :? .

Besides that though, I still think the fixes need to come out faster. People are STILL getting stuck on terrain, STILL getting hit by ghost swings, STILL finding the latest animation issues to abuse. That stuff needs rapid attention, not a big ‘community issues’ patch 2 months after the fact. Maybe it’s just how I personally see things, but fixing one issue a week feels like better progress than 5 things at the end of a month, illogical as it is.

The extra content, while cool, tends to only rub it in. People love the new maps, and I’ve played enough LoL to know it’s better to release new content (read: new weapons) underpowered and build them up than overpowered and nerf them down. But when players still have to deal with what feels like stupid issues from before the patch, that content doesn’t do much to make them happier.

All this is from a subjective viewpoint of course, but if you’re here watching the thread I want to get it off my chest. Again, my friends who I introduced to this game (and used to love it) pretty much agree with me on the above.

• I think it was fine. However, I’m troubled by the widespread notion that the patch changed more than it actually did.

It seems to be some sort of pandemic of groupthink; someone started blaming problems on the patch and it caught it. It’s peculiar; I’ve never quite seen this sort of phenomenon in any other game community to this scale.

I’m sure it’s happened before. But I found it as jarring as I did disturbing. Many of the problems cited were always there. I feel the reason people thought it was the patch was because as people in general become more familiar with the game, they’ll have the experience to pick apart flaws in the game.

New players can’t say “Oh, this system doesn’t work right” because they don’t know how it’s supposed to work. So, when a person figures the system out (to a degree) they assume they know all the nuances of the system. Then, a catalyst comes along (in this case, the patch) and they have something to blame for the flaws they’ve just started observing.

The patch was largely an improvement. It brought with it a few bugs, as all patches do. But it also brought nice things. I can’t remember any egregious changes. At least one weapon was left excessively nerfed, the Holy Water Sprinkler, but how many times do you hear about that one?