Let it Rain "Finally" (concerning Shortbow)

• **Problem:
    Chivalry’s Shortbow Is a SlowBro! :(

Dont fear! this video is here!
    Lets make it rain! Do the Rain Dance!**
    1o9RGnujlkI
    Now thats some shortbow Action!

Want shortbow 2Draw/Reload quicker?
    No?
    Mabe these Reasons why! will change ur mind!

• Its damage is weak, its arrow drop is huge, It’s Range is ehh…
      (from an Observation point) -The Shortbow is smaller in weight&size
      (from an Observation point) -Shoots smaller/lighter Projectlies.
      (from an Observation point) -Shortspear Being a heavier/longer projectlie are thrown/reloaded quicker then the smaller/mobile/lighter arrow.
    • The Shortbow’s draw/Reload time 0.9 , 1.1
    • The Shortspear’s Reload time 0.8 &Draw time, who knows.
    • A 0.1 Differents yes…but Consider the Shortspears Projectlie(from an Observation point) it’s alot more heavier/longer of a projectlie.
    • Hardly any1 uses it
    • Consider the effectiveness of a Shortbow ingame. its slow bro! needs more cowbell!
    • Dat Video!

My little Suggestion:
    Lower Shortbows Draw/Reload time:
    Draw: From 0.9 to a 7.0
    Reload time: From a 1.1 to 0.9
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … TZnc#gid=1

LET IT RAIN!
    EDIT: A new little Suggestion:
    Lower Shortbows Draw/Reload time:
    Draw: From 0.9 to a 8.0
    Reload time: From a 1.1 to 1.0

Just alittle… just a little ity bity bit

• By the speed i would say: either this woman is super strong or the bow is super weak.

I guess its the second one. This bow probably wouldnt even penetrate leather armor and definitly not chainmail and plate armor.

She only pulls of that speed at a rang of maybe 6meters on a target that is like 1,5x1,5meters. The hardest part is probably picking the arrows out of quiver and place them on the bowstring.

Nice trick but useless - even on a virtual battlefield.

• Actually when I train with my friends they actually forbid me to take the shortbow and force me to take the (in my eyes inferior) normal bow or warbow instead.

The shortbow is extremely fast and therefore very forgiving. That aside you can also move much faster while aiming. The other bows are much slower, needs more aiming and you move much slower that make you an easy target.

No way it’s underpowered 8-)

• @Nivve:

Actually when I train with my friends they actually forbid me to take the shortbow and force me to take the (in my eyes inferior) normal bow or warbow instead.

The shortbow is extremely fast and therefore very forgiving. That aside you can also move much faster while aiming. The other bows are much slower, needs more aiming and you move much slower that make you an easy target.

No way it’s underpowered 8-)

^ This is pretty much for me as well. People say its underpowered, but it is very forgiving for missed shots (And way more fun, IMO). I also love that you can sprint when aiming. I never really thought it was supposed to be long range. It covers a slightly larger range than the javelins, but I like that a lot. It should remain as is.

• I would like to get in on the action.

• @gregcau:

I would like to get in on the action.

“Well come on up then”

OT: It’s an ok bow,
    But I stongly feel Chivalrys shortbow needs more cow bell.(alitte bit quicker on Drawing/Reloading)
    at least by a 0.1
    will Edit this in my suggestions in OP

Shortspear throws/reloadeds Quicker&faster then a shortbow Is this becuase of its ammo count?
    still, I think something thats smaller&lighter needs2 be a tad quicker.

• On the other hand you can state that aiming followed by throwing a stick is faster than putting an arrow on the bow correctly, draw the bow, aim, let go.
    That’s of course assuming this thread is still about the video.

I actually think the shortbow is already extremely fast. Also remember that flinch is especially annoying (simply means it works) and repeating flinching is of course even more annoying. Count that in your calculations also, makes the shortbow even better.
    (You can actually keep an archer+warbow from firing as long as you hit. pretty powerful).

• From the point of view of realism, bows are probably too fast. You can look at the game as being… I don’t know… at a third of real fight speed. Because just as you can point out videos of russian girls being incredibly fast with an incredibly weak bow on short distance, I can probably make a video what I can do with a well balance hungarian sabre and I am by no means a pro in historical fencing.

• @Nivve:

On the other hand you can state that aiming followed by throwing a stick is faster than putting an arrow on the bow correctly, draw the bow, aim, let go…

I found no need to compare that, becuase ingame machanics/animations of drawing Putting an arrow on a sting and firing/reloading are flawless. This was thus far out of the question of comparison.
    @Nivve:

@Eleshar_Vermillion:

From the point of view of realism, bows are probably too fast. You can look at the game as being… I don’t know… at a third of real fight speed. Because just as you can point out videos of russian girls being incredibly fast with an incredibly weak bow on short distance, I can probably make a video what I can do with a well balance hungarian sabre and I am by no means a pro in historical fencing.

Thats all i could find on youtube. (lazy)

@Nivve:

being incredibly fast with an incredibly weak bow on short distance

But isnt that what defines a shortbow? (According2 my knowledge of history) were Preferred/best used on cavalry.
    Cavalry rides infront of enemy lines in a Ovil shape pattern. Riding close enough (with Shortbow being incredibly fast) fires lots&lots of arrows on enemy, While turning around and repeating that Pattern. Making a continuous endless stream of raining arrows, Making it the ideal weapon on horse back.
    The shape&size makes draw back easier, thus allowing some incredibly fast, But also short range shots.
    @Nivve:

I actually think the shortbow is already extremely fast. Also remember that flinch is especially annoying (simply means it works) and repeating flinching is of course even more annoying. Count that in your calculations also, makes the shortbow even better.
    (You can actually keep an archer+warbow from firing as long as you hit. pretty powerful).

I agree But lets be realistic.[Ingame wise], how many times do u have to hit 1archer bout 3times. Hes not going to sit there, and take it after the first hit. Hes going to be shooting back(because ur not going to hit him everytime) moving back and forth firing back at u.
    Then his allys run up playing Vanguards/Knights& MAA.

Its Draw/Reload time is ok but i feel it needs to be quicker2 really shine.
    Mabe my mindset of shortbow is off, or lack alot of required experience with shortbow.

Edit:PS My Grammar blows . :|

• @Rodelero:

@Nivve:

On the other hand you can state that aiming followed by throwing a stick is faster than putting an arrow on the bow correctly, draw the bow, aim, let go…

I found no need to compare that, becuase ingame machanics/animations of drawing Putting an arrow on a sting and firing/reloading are flawless. This was thus far out of the question of comparison.
    @Nivve:

@Eleshar_Vermillion:

From the point of view of realism, bows are probably too fast. You can look at the game as being… I don’t know… at a third of real fight speed. Because just as you can point out videos of russian girls being incredibly fast with an incredibly weak bow on short distance, I can probably make a video what I can do with a well balance hungarian sabre and I am by no means a pro in historical fencing.

Thats all i could find on youtube. (lazy)

@Nivve:

being incredibly fast with an incredibly weak bow on short distance

But isnt that what defines a shortbow? (According2 my knowledge of history) were Preferred/best used on cavalry.
    Cavalry rides infront of enemy lines in a Ovil shape pattern. Riding close enough (with Shortbow being incredibly fast) fires lots&lots of arrows on enemy, While turning around and repeating that Pattern. Making a continuous endless stream of raining arrows, Making it the ideal weapon on horse back.
    The shape&size makes draw back easier, thus allowing some incredibly fast, But also short range shots.
    @Nivve:

I agree But lets be realistic.[Ingame wise], how many times do u have to hit 1archer bout 3times. Hes not going to sit there, and take it after the first hit. Hes going to be shooting back(because ur not going to hit him everytime) moving back and forth firing back at u.
    Then his allys run up playing Vanguards/Knights& MAA.

Its Draw/Reload time is ok but i feel it needs to be quicker2 really shine.
    Mabe my mindset of shortbow is off, or lack alot of required experience with shortbow.

Edit:PS My Grammar blows . :|

You were the one comparing the short spear and the shortbow in how fast they are. Mentioning that lighter projectiles should be fired faster. I wanted to counter that by showing that the weight of a projectile is not the only factor in the equation.
    In other words; I thought you were referring to real life, mentioning weight and mass instead of properties of in-game weapons. So I countered the ‘weight is the only factor’ argument.

Btw you misquoted me. ‘being incredibly fast with an incredibly weak bow on short distance’ was not stated by me but by someone else. (also it’s a bit out of context)
    But I still want to react, yes they were shorter for cavalry, however note that it still should be able to penetrate different kinds of defenses with them. If it were as fast and weak as in the video, I would argue that the hordes would not have been that successful in history.
    Just another thing, the bows were not mainly short for their use in fast firing, the main reason would be that they would be easier to fire from horses than cumbersome longer bows. It would not automatically lead to a weaker bow. The strength of the bow is mainly due to the material used and the construction method, a shorter bow can be incredibly powerful.

"The Mongol bow is not as large and long as the English one, but it is vastly more powerful. The draw weight of an English longbow averages around 70-80 pounds, whereas the Old Mongol bow had a pull that, according to George Vernadsky, averaged at around 166 pounds. Chambers states that the pull varied from 100 to 160 pounds. This seeming discrepancy certainly reflects the fact that draw weight varied with the strength of the user, and with what use the bow had been made for. As could be expected, there was a considerable difference in shooting range. Whereas the English longbow could shoot at distances up to 250 yards or around 228 meters, the Mongol counterpart can hit its target at 350 yards or 320 meters and, if the archer is well trained for the task, even beyond that. " (http://www.coldsiberia.org/monbow.htm)

Now to the in-game (important) part.
    If the draw and reloads are good, what speed do you really want to change?
    In the example you mention it requires three hits, that’s true. It’s just one hit more than the normal bow and you can have it land in a shorter time. Also you can move quicker during aiming so that he has a harder time hitting you.
    I am not sure why there is any unbalance for this weapon and the ‘rain of arrows’ is really needed in a game like this, without breaking up the balance.

• i think the world record in highest distance shot with bows holds a short- or composite* bow. like 500m+