Third Person

• What is your opinion of this option?

I see a divide with some servers disabling it and some tournaments not allowing it. I don’t know if this is a good divide to have. Players should be able to use all of their options to avoid arbitrary rules.

Anyway, what is your opinion? Is this a balance issue?

• I have seen people use 3rd person very successfully with either large wide swinging two handers or MAA. I say people should be able to choose which one they like and should not be forced to use either one. Both have advantages and disadvantages. personally i like to use the Halberd in first person view with the FOV set to 100. this gives me enough of a fish eye view that i can see my sides well and seems to compliment a very first person stabbing centric weapon. Other people i know love 3rd person and i dont believe it gives them an edge on my in any way.

• My main problem with it is how inconsistent it makes the game. It is correct to say that each view has its advantages, but those advantages and disadvantages do not spread evenly across classes.

If you are using a shield, almost always worth it to go third.

If you are a vanguard using anything other than a spear…go third.

If you are a knight battling in large groups, third. 1 on 1 go first person. Actually, both work in both situations really. The one place it really breaks down for knights is with tower shields.

Archer will always go first.

MAA can use both and both come with advantages and disadvantages, but mace and other long weapons benefit from third far more. And shields again of course. The real big thing for MAA with third is that it makes dodging much much easier.

Now that is no big deal right? Well I think it is because it adds another arbitrary layer to approaching enemies. If you attack a vanguard, you must think to yourself, I can’t get out of his vision and make him turn simply by going to the side close. Thus, you have to flank much wider.
    You then reverse that thinking against an archer.

You never know if a Knight can see you or can’t see you if you get him to bring up his tower shield. Though now you just assume he did. Otherwise you could take advantage of making the knight take cover to do some flanking.

So it becomes somewhat unpredictable where you have to go to flank another person (an issue I have with massively adjustable FOV too).

Now I get the appeal of having third person, being able to see your arms doing what they do and see how your footwork actually goes is quite helpful (people in third person can do backwards footwork far easier), but it truly is easy mode on certain classes like vanguard where the downsides are far outweighed by the upsides. With a two handed sword on Vanguard, you go from being okay to a death machine by switching to third because lmb headshots (across multiple targets) become massively easier. (This is from a TO perspective, I am sure someone will reply that everything is balanced in duels…)

So… Personally I think it breaks the game by kicking you out of the immersion and into a situation where you are trying to think about your opponent’s game settings to know how to beat him or her.

My solution- Filter in the browser if they ever fix it to filter out servers allowing third person.

• I never think about my opponents game settings and I never use the 3rd person view. It makes things much less personal and while the game is fun in a pythonesque way, I think there is somewhere a hidden moral message telling that violence is FUCKING NOT FUN - when your head is cut off, you probably don’t die a quick clean death but you have some horrifying 2,3 maybe 10 seconds where you feel everything (and nothing…) and know you are inadvertently going to die. Not to mention dying slowly with your bones broken, choking on your own blood. It may be “fun” as a game, it may be desensitising a little, but it affected me very strongly in the beginning.

If anybody wants to lose this great dimension in favour of a measly tactical advantage, they are free to do so. Can’t forbid people being stupid.

• It is gamebreaking for me both in the sense that it kills the intense immersion this game has and ruins many tactics inherent to melee combat.

It also fills no need or role. There is nothing positive to it whatsoever.

• @Myrdraal:

It is gamebreaking for me both in the sense that it kills the intense immersion this game has and ruins many tactics inherent to melee combat.

I wouldn’t say that, but not having it equivalent across the board makes the game unfair. There should be a few servers that allow it, while the rest don’t. Server side option with default disabled.

• I still can’t play properly without third person, so yeah, for me it’s first person on everything that isn’t ranged.

• I think of it as a crutch, almost cheating in some situations. But I’ll switch to it if I’m doing poorly and need something different for a while.

• viewtopic.php?f=77&t=4937

Use the search option jesus christ.

• Third person ruins the game for me, but to each their own.

And musashi, are you always so angry?

• But Musashi, that is in the competitive section and we are but humble pubbers.

Seriously, the discussion on those 16 pages is about what should be allowed in competition if you read it. This is about the effect Third Person has on the game as a whole, especially in pubs.

Does the fact that we are discussing something bother you? There is no “solution” everyone posting here needs to see and tacking this discussion onto the 16 pages accomplishes little.

• @MUSASHI:

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=4937

Use the search option jesus christ.

That’s a topic on why Third Person isn’t allowed in tournaments.

After you use the search option try actually reading the topic contents to see if the direction of the conversation is even the same.

GGEEEEEEZZZZZZ!!! MAAAANNNN!!!

Either way, I always hesitate to give merit to any claim that something is “easy mode.” Seems like a shallow moniker applied when people don’t really want to articulate good reasons.

I know both modes have their advantages and disadvantages. Seems to me that by having them available to everyone there really is no issue with “balance.” If you prefer first person for your own fun then you can still enjoy it. It’s up to the person to decide where there preferences are and what they prefer to do rather than create a set of arbitrary rules for others to follow.

• @Misnomer:

But Musashi, that is in the competitive section and we are but humble pubbers.

Seriously, the discussion on those 16 pages is about what should be allowed in competition if you read it. This is about the effect Third Person has on the game as a whole, especially in pubs.

Does the fact that we are discussing something bother you? There is no “solution” everyone posting here needs to see and tacking this discussion onto the 16 pages accomplishes little.

Dudes right. let people play the game how they want.

• I just don’t join servers which force 1st person, it is what it is - server admins call their own shots.

All the official servers allow switching and as a shield user I prefer 3rd.

• In pubs. Sure, let people do what they want. I know a lot of people like to play in 3rd person and have no problem with them doing that. It can be a great advantage of course, but in the end it is just pub and a lot of people bought the game knowing they could play in third person and go crazy.

• @Myrdraal:

It is gamebreaking for me both in the sense that it kills the intense immersion this game has and ruins many tactics inherent to melee combat.

+1